want to install old hard drive on newe pc as secondary drive

My brother is sending me his pc. It has Win XP installed as it's
operating system. It also has a slot for a secondary IDE. I am
currently using a pc with Win 98. And was wondering what the step by
steps are on installing my old hard drive on the newer pc? Does the
operating system have to be installed? Please be as specific as
possible.
Oh and he did reformat the drive for me, also.

Thanx in advance,

Deb

magoo2u <dfoley2318@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote
in message news:428f9aba$1_3@alt.athenanews.com...

> My brother is sending me his pc. It has Win XP installed as it's
> operating system. It also has a slot for a secondary IDE. I am
> currently using a pc with Win 98. And was wondering what the
> step by steps are on installing my old hard drive on the newer pc?

Bit hard when you are too vague about exactly what you want to do.

> Does the operating system have to be installed?

Hard to say since there is a confict in what you have said.
Its either got XP installed, OR its been formatted now.

> Please be as specific as possible.

Please say what you actually want to do.

Do you just want to use the old drive
just for access to the data thats on it ?

> Oh and he did reformat the drive for me, also.

If the drive has been wiped, you'll have to install XP on it.

It shouldnt be too hard to put the old hard drive in the new
pc, basically by physically installing it and plugging the ribbon
cable and power cable into the old drive, in the new PC.