SATA hard drive not showing up in "my computer"

hi there,

the maxtor 160gb sata hard drive on my 6 month old dell dimension 4700
died last week. dell sent out a new one and a tech to install it, but
i still need to get my data off the old one.

i attached the old hard drive to the motherboard and the drive shows up
in device manager (it now lists 2 of the maxtor drives), but it doesn't
show up in the my computer view.

when i check properties in device manager it shows device status as
working properly and the device is enabled.

also, i'm running winxp home sp2 and the old hard drive isn't making
any grinding/clicking noises.

any help would be *much* appreciated as i'd like to avoid spending the
big bucks if i can to recover my data.

thanks everybody!

joe v

joey v <jvmailre-googlegroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> the maxtor 160gb sata hard drive on my 6 month old dell
> dimension 4700 died last week. dell sent out a new one and
> a tech to install it, but i still need to get my data off the old one.

> i attached the old hard drive to the motherboard and the drive
> shows up in device manager (it now lists 2 of the maxtor drives),
> but it doesn't show up in the my computer view.

Thats normally because the data structures
have been damaged and so XP doesnt mount it.

> when i check properties in device manager it shows device
> status as working properly and the device is enabled.

Thats only the most basic level, no resource conflicts etc.

> also, i'm running winxp home sp2 and the old
> hard drive isn't making any grinding/clicking noises.

> any help would be *much* appreciated as i'd like to avoid
> spending the big bucks if i can to recover my data.

I like Easy Recovery Pro, but it aint free.

thanks for the reply, rod. i'm pretty inexperienced with this kind of
stuff and i appreciate your help.

do you know if easy recovery will be able to access the disk even
though it's not showing up/being mounted?

i looked at that, but it's not showing up in drive manager either.
thanks for the suggestion.

Stephen

On 21 May 2005 14:05:24 -0700, "joey v"
<jvmailre-googlegroups@yahoo.com> had a flock of green cheek conures
squawk out:

>hi there,
>
>the maxtor 160gb sata hard drive on my 6 month old dell dimension 4700
>died last week. dell sent out a new one and a tech to install it, but
>i still need to get my data off the old one.
>
>i attached the old hard drive to the motherboard and the drive shows up
>in device manager (it now lists 2 of the maxtor drives), but it doesn't
>show up in the my computer view.
>
>when i check properties in device manager it shows device status as
>working properly and the device is enabled.
>
>also, i'm running winxp home sp2 and the old hard drive isn't making
>any grinding/clicking noises.
>
>any help would be *much* appreciated as i'd like to avoid spending the
>big bucks if i can to recover my data.
>
>thanks everybody!
>
>joe v

In drive manager, did you assign it a drive letter?

Stephen

thanks again, rod! installed easyrecovery last night and was able to
pull off just about everthing i needed.

> thanks for the reply, rod. i'm pretty inexperienced
> with this kind of stuff and i appreciate your help.

> do you know if easy recovery will be able to access
> the disk even though it's not showing up/being mounted?

Yes it can, since its showing up in disk management.

> thanks again, rod! installed easyrecovery last night
> and was able to pull off just about everthing i needed.

Thanks for the feedback, too rare in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS