Another Ghost Question: 2 Bootable drives

Question,

If one backs up their "C" drive to another internal drive as a clone which
is bootable, what happens during the startup procedure?

Should the bootable clone be kept separate from the PC?

TIA<

Jeff
6 answers Last reply
More about another ghost question bootable drives

    > Question,
    >
    > If one backs up their "C" drive to another internal drive as a clone which
    > is bootable, what happens during the startup procedure?

    First, BIOS setting; second boot manager procedure.
    For WinXP here is some info:
    http://www.compphix.com/xpbootprocess.html

    > Should the bootable clone be kept separate from the PC?
    Yes, it should, otherwise you might experience something hard
    to explain.
    BTW, cloning process should be done when PC boots up
    from media other than your source disk, or at least does not
    cause files open. If not, use cloning software utilizing
    "shadow copy".

    jeff <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message

    > If one backs up their "C" drive to another internal drive as a clone which is
    > bootable, what happens during the startup procedure?

    If you JUST make a clone, and never boot it, nothing changes,
    it will continue to boot off the original until you change that by
    say changing which drive to boot off in the bios.

    > Should the bootable clone be kept separate from the PC?

    Nope, just dont boot it with the original visible to the OS at boot time.

    Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

    >> Question,

    >> If one backs up their "C" drive to another internal drive as a clone
    >> which is bootable, what happens during the startup procedure?

    > First, BIOS setting; second boot manager procedure.
    > For WinXP here is some info:
    > http://www.compphix.com/xpbootprocess.html

    Thats a bit garbled.

    The BIOS then reads the MBR (Master Boot Record)
    which is in the first sector of the first hard disk

    it actually reads the MBR which is the first sector
    of the hard disk specified to boot from in the bios.

    and transfers control to the code in the
    MBR which is created by the XP Setup.

    thats not necessarily true either.

    >> Should the bootable clone be kept separate from the PC?

    > Yes, it should, otherwise you might
    > experience something hard to explain.

    Not if you dont boot the clone.

    > BTW, cloning process should be done when PC boots up from
    > media other than your source disk, or at least does not cause
    > files open. If not, use cloning software utilizing "shadow copy".

    Thats not necessarily a bad thing.

    Rod...

    I have come across a sittuation in my trials and tribulations with
    experimentinfg that upon bootup, a dos window comes up asking you which
    partition to boot.

    Isn't by default a drive specified in the bios that yo usaid, why would a
    window pop up after booting asking which partition to boot from?

    Thanks......I'm learning and fasinated.

    jeff

    > I have come across a sittuation in my trials and tribulations with
    > experimentinfg that upon bootup, a dos window comes up asking you which
    > partition to boot.

    Thats not dos, its more likely to be the bios.

    It can be XP tho, and it still isnt dos.

    > Isn't by default a drive specified in the bios that you said,

    Yes, but if you specified a particular physical drive to boot
    and that isnt in fact bootable, some bios will show you a
    list of what drives are bootable for you to select.

    Basically thats considered to be more useful than having
    to go into the bios and specify the boot priority again.

    > why would a window pop up after booting asking which partition to boot from?

    Normally because what you have specified in the
    bios isnt bootable anymore for some reason.

    XP has its own B&W full screen where you specify what
    to boot, but thats normally the boot.ini giving you a choice
    of the boots specified in the boot.ini and its hard to get
    that showing up for the first time by accidental copying.

    XP will produce the same thing on boot failure,
    but thats got more than just actually listing which
    partition to boot, its asking which type of boot to
    do with the specified partition, safe mode etc.

    > Thanks......I'm learning and fasinated.

    No problem thats what these technical newsgroups are about.

    > jeff <jeff@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have come across a sittuation in my trials and tribulations with
    >> experimentinfg that upon bootup, a dos window comes up asking you which
    >> partition to boot.
    >
    > Thats not dos, its more likely to be the bios.
    >
    > It can be XP tho, and it still isnt dos.
    >
    >> Isn't by default a drive specified in the bios that you said,
    >
    > Yes, but if you specified a particular physical drive to boot
    > and that isnt in fact bootable, some bios will show you a
    > list of what drives are bootable for you to select.
    >
    > Basically thats considered to be more useful than having
    > to go into the bios and specify the boot priority again.
    >
    >> why would a window pop up after booting asking which partition to boot
    >> from?
    >
    > Normally because what you have specified in the
    > bios isnt bootable anymore for some reason.
    >
    > XP has its own B&W full screen where you specify what
    > to boot, but thats normally the boot.ini giving you a choice
    > of the boots specified in the boot.ini and its hard to get
    > that showing up for the first time by accidental copying.
    >
    > XP will produce the same thing on boot failure,
    > but thats got more than just actually listing which
    > partition to boot, its asking which type of boot to
    > do with the specified partition, safe mode etc.
    >
    >> Thanks......I'm learning and fasinated.
    >
    > No problem thats what these technical newsgroups are about.

    Wow Rod.....I learned alot, thnx again

    jeff

Hardware Storage