External HD

I just got an external HD which hooks up via USB 2.0. It is formatted
to NTFS. I really just need some confirmation on something...Would I be
able to hook it up to any machine with the NTFS and get files from it
safely? Also will I still be able to access files from it when I decide
to re-install XP?
2 answers Last reply
More about external

    <doncecil@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just got an external HD which hooks up via USB 2.0. It is formatted
    > to NTFS. I really just need some confirmation on something...Would I be
    > able to hook it up to any machine with the NTFS and get files from it
    > safely?

    As Rod said.

    Just don't rely on a HD for your only backup. Keep a copy on CD/DVD as well.

    A major power surge could in theory wipe out both your internal and external
    drives at the same time.

    <doncecil@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > I just got an external HD which hooks up via USB 2.0. It is formatted to
    > NTFS. I really just need some confirmation on something...Would I be able
    > to hook it up to any machine with the NTFS and get files from it safely?

    Yes. The worst you may have to do is install a driver for it on that other
    system.

    > Also will I still be able to access files from it when I decide to re-install
    > XP?

    Yes.

NTFS HD Storage