External HD

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 22, 2005 12:58:17 PM

I just got an external HD which hooks up via USB 2.0. It is formatted
to NTFS. I really just need some confirmation on something...Would I be
able to hook it up to any machine with the NTFS and get files from it
safely? Also will I still be able to access files from it when I decide
to re-install XP?

More about : external

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 22, 2005 10:32:01 PM

<doncecil@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I just got an external HD which hooks up via USB 2.0. It is formatted
> to NTFS. I really just need some confirmation on something...Would I be
> able to hook it up to any machine with the NTFS and get files from it
> safely?

As Rod said.

Just don't rely on a HD for your only backup. Keep a copy on CD/DVD as well.

A major power surge could in theory wipe out both your internal and external
drives at the same time.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 23, 2005 7:18:54 AM

<doncecil@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I just got an external HD which hooks up via USB 2.0. It is formatted to
> NTFS. I really just need some confirmation on something...Would I be able
> to hook it up to any machine with the NTFS and get files from it safely?

Yes. The worst you may have to do is install a driver for it on that other
system.

> Also will I still be able to access files from it when I decide to re-install
> XP?

Yes.