Multiple external drives question

It occured to me that I've not seen this asked/answered before...

If you have an external USB enclosure with TWO or more drives in it (eg a
DVD and an HD) do they normally use two USB cables or share one? Anyone want
to comment on the performance difference between two seperate boxes and one
shared box?
1 answer Last reply
More about multiple external drives question

    CWatters <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message

    > It occured to me that I've not seen this asked/answered before...

    > If you have an external USB enclosure with
    > TWO or more drives in it (eg a DVD and an HD)

    Those arent very common at all.

    > do they normally use two USB cables or share one?

    Normally just one.

    > Anyone want to comment on the performance difference
    > between two seperate boxes and one shared box?

    Really depends on how you use it. There arent many
    situations in which you can actually copy directly from
    say the HD to the DVD, the data normally moves from
    the HD to memory and then to the DVD for example
    and in that case you dont have true simultaneous
    access to both devices, the access is sequential.

    Even with say two HDs and file copying between them,
    you still dont have true simultaneous access, so it shouldnt
    make much difference over say two HDs each in their own
    enclosure with their own USB cable.

Storage