Hard drive with 504 bytes per sector.

When wanting to put another hard drive into a Panasonic Hard disk recorder
and failing, I tried to mount the old Samsung sv0802n on my pc, it wouldn't
be recognized by bios.
Using a hard disk info program I discovered it had a reported 504 bytes per
sector and 34902 bytes per track. This is probably why it couldn't be seen
by bios.
I somehow need to change the seagate st380011a to match the samsung.
Is there a low level program for dos or windows that can do this?

Regards,
John.
3 answers Last reply
More about hard drive bytes sector

    "news.xtra" <jdekker@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    > When wanting to put another hard drive into a Panasonic Hard disk recorder
    > and failing, I tried to mount the old Samsung sv0802n on my pc, it wouldn't
    > be recognized by bios.
    > Using a hard disk info program I discovered it had a reported 504 bytes per
    > sector and 34902 bytes per track. This is probably why it couldn't be seen
    > by bios.

    Where exactly did you see the "bytes per sector" parameter? AFAIK, that
    parameter isn't configurable, it's fixed to 512 byte/sector. What program did
    you use?

    Regards

    --
    NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
    InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

    Previously news.xtra <jdekker@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    > When wanting to put another hard drive into a Panasonic Hard disk recorder
    > and failing, I tried to mount the old Samsung sv0802n on my pc, it wouldn't
    > be recognized by bios.
    > Using a hard disk info program I discovered it had a reported 504 bytes per
    > sector and 34902 bytes per track. This is probably why it couldn't be seen
    > by bios.
    > I somehow need to change the seagate st380011a to match the samsung.
    > Is there a low level program for dos or windows that can do this?

    If your number is correct, then there is nothing you can do. All
    standard drives have 512 Bytes/Sector. This one must have a modified
    firmware.

    34902 is not divisible by 504, which is strange.

    Arno

    "Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3fdrkbF77gb8U1@individual.net
    > Previously news.xtra <jdekker@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    > > When wanting to put another hard drive into a Panasonic Hard disk recorder
    > > and failing, I tried to mount the old Samsung sv0802n on my pc, it wouldn't
    > > be recognized by bios.
    > > Using a hard disk info program I discovered it had a reported 504 bytes per
    > > sector and 34902 bytes per track. This is probably why it couldn't be seen
    > > by bios.
    > > I somehow need to change the seagate st380011a to match the samsung.
    > > Is there a low level program for dos or windows that can do this?
    >
    > If your number is correct, then there is nothing you can do.

    Probably. No ATA commands to change it, AFAICT.

    > All standard drives have 512 Bytes/Sector.

    Not necessarily with SCSI, And not necessarily with ATA-CE drives
    (for Consumer Electronics equipment such as Hard disk recorders).

    > This one must have a modified firmware.

    Or just the latest firmware that supports some of the new Long/Large
    Sector features in ATA-7/8.

    > 34902 is not divisible by 504, which is strange.

    He most likely meant sectors. No point in listing bytes per track.

    > Arno

Hard Drives Samsung Storage