Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard drive with 504 bytes per sector.

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Samsung
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
May 24, 2005 12:38:54 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

When wanting to put another hard drive into a Panasonic Hard disk recorder
and failing, I tried to mount the old Samsung sv0802n on my pc, it wouldn't
be recognized by bios.
Using a hard disk info program I discovered it had a reported 504 bytes per
sector and 34902 bytes per track. This is probably why it couldn't be seen
by bios.
I somehow need to change the seagate st380011a to match the samsung.
Is there a low level program for dos or windows that can do this?

Regards,
John.

More about : hard drive 504 bytes sector

Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
May 24, 2005 12:38:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"news.xtra" <jdekker@xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> When wanting to put another hard drive into a Panasonic Hard disk recorder
> and failing, I tried to mount the old Samsung sv0802n on my pc, it wouldn't
> be recognized by bios.
> Using a hard disk info program I discovered it had a reported 504 bytes per
> sector and 34902 bytes per track. This is probably why it couldn't be seen
> by bios.

Where exactly did you see the "bytes per sector" parameter? AFAIK, that
parameter isn't configurable, it's fixed to 512 byte/sector. What program did
you use?

Regards

> I somehow need to change the seagate st380011a to match the samsung.
> Is there a low level program for dos or windows that can do this?
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
May 24, 2005 12:38:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Previously news.xtra <jdekker@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> When wanting to put another hard drive into a Panasonic Hard disk recorder
> and failing, I tried to mount the old Samsung sv0802n on my pc, it wouldn't
> be recognized by bios.
> Using a hard disk info program I discovered it had a reported 504 bytes per
> sector and 34902 bytes per track. This is probably why it couldn't be seen
> by bios.
> I somehow need to change the seagate st380011a to match the samsung.
> Is there a low level program for dos or windows that can do this?

If your number is correct, then there is nothing you can do. All
standard drives have 512 Bytes/Sector. This one must have a modified
firmware.

34902 is not divisible by 504, which is strange.

Arno
Anonymous
a b Ô Samsung
a b G Storage
May 24, 2005 5:08:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:3fdrkbF77gb8U1@individual.net
> Previously news.xtra <jdekker@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> > When wanting to put another hard drive into a Panasonic Hard disk recorder
> > and failing, I tried to mount the old Samsung sv0802n on my pc, it wouldn't
> > be recognized by bios.
> > Using a hard disk info program I discovered it had a reported 504 bytes per
> > sector and 34902 bytes per track. This is probably why it couldn't be seen
> > by bios.
> > I somehow need to change the seagate st380011a to match the samsung.
> > Is there a low level program for dos or windows that can do this?
>
> If your number is correct, then there is nothing you can do.

Probably. No ATA commands to change it, AFAICT.

> All standard drives have 512 Bytes/Sector.

Not necessarily with SCSI, And not necessarily with ATA-CE drives
(for Consumer Electronics equipment such as Hard disk recorders).

> This one must have a modified firmware.

Or just the latest firmware that supports some of the new Long/Large
Sector features in ATA-7/8.

>
> 34902 is not divisible by 504, which is strange.

He most likely meant sectors. No point in listing bytes per track.

>
> Arno
Related resources
!