USB External HD Enclosure question

jeff

Another question for the experts,

If one purchases one of those external enclosures that converts a IDE drive
to a USB drive, will:

1) It boot as a n external USB drive.

2) If one is doing a fresh install of win xp sp2, can one load the OS
direcly to this USB external drive (IDE drive inside)?

3) Lastly, does one have to use the software drivers that come with the
enclosure if one is using win xp sp2?

TIA,

jeff

Jeff <Jeff@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> If one purchases one of those external enclosures
> that converts a IDE drive to a USB drive, will:

> 1) It boot as a n external USB drive.

Depends on what your motherboard bios can do.

> 2) If one is doing a fresh install of win xp sp2, can one load
> the OS direcly to this USB external drive (IDE drive inside)?

Dunno, likely not, but I havent tried it.

> 3) Lastly, does one have to use the software drivers that
> come with the enclosure if one is using win xp sp2?

Nope, they're natively supported by XP SP2.

In article <3fh8mdF7pk4iU1@individual.net>,
Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Jeff <Jeff@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>
>> If one purchases one of those external enclosures
>> that converts a IDE drive to a USB drive, will:
>
>> 1) It boot as a n external USB drive.
>
>Depends on what your motherboard bios can do.
>
>> 2) If one is doing a fresh install of win xp sp2, can one load
>> the OS direcly to this USB external drive (IDE drive inside)?
>
>Dunno, likely not, but I havent tried it.
>
>> 3) Lastly, does one have to use the software drivers that
>> come with the enclosure if one is using win xp sp2?
>
>Nope, they're natively supported by XP SP2.

It's been said that you can't install XP on a removable device.
I've never tried it.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

jeff

Ok,

I understand....I can make a bootable backup (clone) to a USB drive but i
cannot install a fresh OS (win xp) to an external media.

Thnx,

jeff