Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help Restoring Backup

Tags:
  • Backup
  • CD-Rom
  • Steam
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster curious to know why when I
went to restore HL2 Steam Version it was fine up until it asked for CD 6 ?
There is no freakin' CD 6 , the backup only made 5 CD's ! The Steam
forums were of no help. Just put me out of my misery and tell me I need to
download 5 gigs of stuff to play again?

After I've done that I'd appreciate hearing your experiences with restoring
HL2 from CD's.....

Cheers
Jason

More about : restoring backup

Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:43:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Got to admit I've never used the backup facility in Steam ..

It's not asking for the first disc again is it? (or something stupid
like that) ..

I've had a look at the steam support pages and can't see anything about
failed backups so your best bet is to ask support about it using the
following link ..

'
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.c...'
(http://tinyurl.com/7p3qb)

Hope that helps .. :) 


--
Slave
posted via www.savageforums.com
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:46:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Just found this on the steam forums ..

-FIX - Go through the restore procedure as normal, then when it asks
for the sixth disc, cancel out. Now go to your Steam\SteamApps folder
and there will be a bunch of files called "~dshflhdf.gcf.tmp". Remove
the ~ and .tmp from the file name and you will be good to go.-

That should sort it ..

It seems you made the backup using an old version, which was known to
be buggy .. if you created your backup using the latest version is
would create 6 discs.

:) 


--
Slave
posted via www.savageforums.com
Related resources
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:46:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Slave" <Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message
news:Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com...
>
> Just found this on the steam forums ..
>
> -FIX - Go through the restore procedure as normal, then when it asks
> for the sixth disc, cancel out. Now go to your Steam\SteamApps folder
> and there will be a bunch of files called "~dshflhdf.gcf.tmp". Remove
> the ~ and .tmp from the file name and you will be good to go.-
>
> That should sort it ..
>
> It seems you made the backup using an old version, which was known to
> be buggy .. if you created your backup using the latest version is
> would create 6 discs.
>
> :) 
>
>
> --
> Slave
> posted via www.savageforums.com
>

YAHOO Can't wait to try it after work ! Thanks a bunch !
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 11:13:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

JLT2005 Wrote:
> "Slave" <Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message
> news:Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com...
> >
> > Just found this on the steam forums ..
> >
> > -FIX - Go through the restore procedure as normal, then when it asks
> > for the sixth disc, cancel out. Now go to your Steam\SteamApps
> folder
> > and there will be a bunch of files called "~dshflhdf.gcf.tmp".
> Remove
> > the ~ and .tmp from the file name and you will be good to go.-
> >
> > That should sort it ..
> >
> > It seems you made the backup using an old version, which was known
> to
> > be buggy .. if you created your backup using the latest version is
> > would create 6 discs.
> >
> > :) 
> >
> >
> > --
> > Slave
> > posted via ' www.savageforums.com' (www.savageforums.com)
> >
>
> YAHOO Can't wait to try it after work ! Thanks a bunch !

No problem .. :) 


--
Slave
posted via www.savageforums.com
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:45:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"Slave" <Slave.1p6udt@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message
news:Slave.1p6udt@no-mx.savageforums.com...
>
> JLT2005 Wrote:
>> "Slave" <Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message
>> news:Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com...
>> >
>> > Just found this on the steam forums ..
>> >
>> > -FIX - Go through the restore procedure as normal, then when it asks
>> > for the sixth disc, cancel out. Now go to your Steam\SteamApps
>> folder
>> > and there will be a bunch of files called "~dshflhdf.gcf.tmp".
>> Remove
>> > the ~ and .tmp from the file name and you will be good to go.-
>> >
>> > That should sort it ..
>> >
>> > It seems you made the backup using an old version, which was known
>> to
>> > be buggy .. if you created your backup using the latest version is
>> > would create 6 discs.
>> >
>> > :) 
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> > Slave
>> > posted via ' www.savageforums.com' (www.savageforums.com)
>> >
>>
>> YAHOO Can't wait to try it after work ! Thanks a bunch !
>
> No problem .. :) 
>
>
> --
> Slave
> posted via www.savageforums.com
>
Hi again.
For posterity and in case anyone cares, there weren't any renamable temp
files in \steam apps but I ran the verify GCF cache files thingy and started
steam again and it downloaded the missing files. So that's not too bad as
long as I didnt need to D/L 5GB again only 1GB was missing.
Thanks again for replying and putting me on the right track
-jason
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 11:08:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"JLT2005" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
news:LXpie.56921$0X6.48861@edtnps90...
> Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster curious to know why when
I
> went to restore HL2 Steam Version it was fine up until it asked for CD 6 ?
> There is no freakin' CD 6 , the backup only made 5 CD's ! The Steam
> forums were of no help. Just put me out of my misery and tell me I need
to
> download 5 gigs of stuff to play again?
>
> After I've done that I'd appreciate hearing your experiences with
restoring
> HL2 from CD's.....
>
> Cheers
> Jason
>
sounds buggy the restore process ...........
My Boot drive just crashed, so could not export any registry entries or
anyhting. Just copied the steamapps\MYEMAIL\ directory structure.
Once running PC again, installed HL2 from DVD, d/l updates from steam -
approx 10mins. Copied over directory, reinstalled Counter Strike 1.6 from
CD, d/l updates from Steam - approx 10mins for CS:Source & CS each.

Not too bad - as you said at least it was'nt 6Gb worth - BTW if you play CS
a lot make sure you have skinpack/mappack stored seperately for speed.
Was'nt too painful so don't think I'll bother with 'proper' backup till it
works properly

HTH JonMaC
!