Help Restoring Backup

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster curious to know why when I
went to restore HL2 Steam Version it was fine up until it asked for CD 6 ?
There is no freakin' CD 6 , the backup only made 5 CD's ! The Steam
forums were of no help. Just put me out of my misery and tell me I need to
download 5 gigs of stuff to play again?

After I've done that I'd appreciate hearing your experiences with restoring
HL2 from CD's.....

Cheers
Jason
6 answers Last reply
More about help restoring backup

    Got to admit I've never used the backup facility in Steam ..

    It's not asking for the first disc again is it? (or something stupid
    like that) ..

    I've had a look at the steam support pages and can't see anything about
    failed backups so your best bet is to ask support about it using the
    following link ..

    '
    http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php'
    (http://tinyurl.com/7p3qb)

    Hope that helps .. :)

    --
    Slave

    Just found this on the steam forums ..

    -FIX - Go through the restore procedure as normal, then when it asks
    for the sixth disc, cancel out. Now go to your Steam\SteamApps folder
    and there will be a bunch of files called "~dshflhdf.gcf.tmp". Remove
    the ~ and .tmp from the file name and you will be good to go.-

    That should sort it ..

    It seems you made the backup using an old version, which was known to
    be buggy .. if you created your backup using the latest version is
    would create 6 discs.

    :)

    --
    Slave

    "Slave" <Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message

    > Just found this on the steam forums ..
    >
    > -FIX - Go through the restore procedure as normal, then when it asks
    > for the sixth disc, cancel out. Now go to your Steam\SteamApps folder
    > and there will be a bunch of files called "~dshflhdf.gcf.tmp". Remove
    > the ~ and .tmp from the file name and you will be good to go.-
    >
    > That should sort it ..
    >
    > It seems you made the backup using an old version, which was known to
    > be buggy .. if you created your backup using the latest version is
    > would create 6 discs.
    >
    > :)
    >

    > --
    > Slave

    YAHOO Can't wait to try it after work ! Thanks a bunch !

    JLT2005 Wrote:
    > "Slave" <Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Just found this on the steam forums ..
    > >
    > > -FIX - Go through the restore procedure as normal, then when it asks
    > > for the sixth disc, cancel out. Now go to your Steam\SteamApps
    > folder
    > > and there will be a bunch of files called "~dshflhdf.gcf.tmp".
    > Remove
    > > the ~ and .tmp from the file name and you will be good to go.-
    > >
    > > That should sort it ..
    > >
    > > It seems you made the backup using an old version, which was known
    > > be buggy .. if you created your backup using the latest version is
    > > would create 6 discs.
    > >
    > > :)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Slave
    > >

    > YAHOO Can't wait to try it after work ! Thanks a bunch !

    No problem .. :)

    --
    Slave

    "Slave" <Slave.1p6udt@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message

    > JLT2005 Wrote:
    >> "Slave" <Slave.1p6t5j@no-mx.savageforums.com> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Just found this on the steam forums ..
    >> >
    >> > -FIX - Go through the restore procedure as normal, then when it asks
    >> > for the sixth disc, cancel out. Now go to your Steam\SteamApps
    >> folder
    >> > and there will be a bunch of files called "~dshflhdf.gcf.tmp".
    >> Remove
    >> > the ~ and .tmp from the file name and you will be good to go.-
    >> >
    >> > That should sort it ..
    >> >
    >> > It seems you made the backup using an old version, which was known
    >> > be buggy .. if you created your backup using the latest version is
    >> > would create 6 discs.
    >> >
    >> > :)
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Slave
    >> >

    >> YAHOO Can't wait to try it after work ! Thanks a bunch !
    >
    > No problem .. :)
    >

    > --
    > Slave

    Hi again.
    For posterity and in case anyone cares, there weren't any renamable temp
    files in \steam apps but I ran the verify GCF cache files thingy and started
    steam again and it downloaded the missing files. So that's not too bad as
    long as I didnt need to D/L 5GB again only 1GB was missing.
    Thanks again for replying and putting me on the right track
    -jason

    "JLT2005" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster curious to know why when
    > went to restore HL2 Steam Version it was fine up until it asked for CD 6 ?
    > There is no freakin' CD 6 , the backup only made 5 CD's ! The Steam
    > forums were of no help. Just put me out of my misery and tell me I need
    > download 5 gigs of stuff to play again?
    >
    > After I've done that I'd appreciate hearing your experiences with
    restoring
    > HL2 from CD's.....
    >
    > Cheers
    > Jason

    sounds buggy the restore process ...........
    My Boot drive just crashed, so could not export any registry entries or
    anyhting. Just copied the steamapps\MYEMAIL\ directory structure.
    Once running PC again, installed HL2 from DVD, d/l updates from steam -
    approx 10mins. Copied over directory, reinstalled Counter Strike 1.6 from
    CD, d/l updates from Steam - approx 10mins for CS:Source & CS each.

    Not too bad - as you said at least it was'nt 6Gb worth - BTW if you play CS
    a lot make sure you have skinpack/mappack stored seperately for speed.
    Was'nt too painful so don't think I'll bother with 'proper' backup till it
    works properly

    HTH JonMaC

Backup CD-Rom Steam Video Games