RAID1 / Mirroring Strategy for Windows XP

Charles

I am a Windows XP user and have recently been doing research on setting
up a RAID1 system. I bought and installed another harddisk and, much
to my dismay, now realize that Windows XP does not support mirroring.
I read about a hack of Windows XP
<http://members.home.nl/rvandesanden/raid3.html> to enable the
mirroring capability but am somewhat fearful of using it. Does anyone
have experience using this hack successfully or have any good software
solutions? I found reference to a shareware program called
MirrorFolder <http://www.techsoftpl.com/backup/index.htm> and wonder if
anybody has used it and been satisified with its performance.

My needs are simple. I have two partitions, System and Data, on my 120
GB drives that I would like to mirror. The remainder of my harddisk
space I planned to use for large blocks of static information such as
periodic Ghost images of my System and Data partitions in case of a
virus attack that would inevitably spead to my mirrored drives as well.
Is this a reasonable strategy? I'm very surprised that there isn't a
greater demand for this capability in the home environment; I have
found very little useful information over the net the last few days.

Your comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Charles

Really I would just buy a hardware raid card, there are low end cards that
should work just fine for a 2 drive mirror. The program you linked to is
not shareware really, there is a 30 day trial, otherwise its $39. So unless
you hack XP, you are gonna have to spend some money.

--Dan