Suggestions for easy Windows XP Professional laptop backup..

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
May 25, 2005 5:24:42 PM

I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a
second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the
Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from
my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically.

But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well
from my primary, and a snapshot made of my backup disk. I am thinking
of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive.

Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular
external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something
like:

(assume primary is C:, secondary is D:)

0) Partition external into 4 partitions, E:/F:/G:/H:, each @ 40G

1) Let target1 = [E: or F:]

2) Let target2 = [G: or H:]

Repeat forever
a) Make a complete system image of C: onto target1
b) Set target1 to its opposite value
c) Make a complete system image (or even just a data copy) of D: onto
target 2
d) Set target2 to its opposite value
e) Sleep (for several days or weeks till I reattach the external
drive and instigate the process again)
End repeat

.... and to easily restore C: or D: to the past or second-past backup?
Thanks!

Dilip
May 25, 2005 8:36:13 PM

> I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a
> second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the
> Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from
> my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically.
>
> But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well
> from my primary,

How do you get a "bootable complete system image" on your primary?

> ....and a snapshot made of my backup disk.

Why do you need to create a snapshot of your backup disk?

> I am thinking
> of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive.
>
> Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular
> external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something
> like:
>
> (assume primary is C:, secondary is D:)
>
> 0) Partition external into 4 partitions, E:/F:/G:/H:, each @ 40G
>
> 1) Let target1 = [E: or F:]
>
> 2) Let target2 = [G: or H:]
>
> Repeat forever
> a) Make a complete system image of C: onto target1
> b) Set target1 to its opposite value
> c) Make a complete system image (or even just a data copy) of D: onto
> target 2
> d) Set target2 to its opposite value
> e) Sleep (for several days or weeks till I reattach the external
> drive and instigate the process again)
> End repeat
>

> ... and to easily restore C: or D: to the past or second-past backup?
> Thanks!

Just create separate images of your primary disk. Store image files
on your external USB drive and name them differently.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 26, 2005 12:49:59 AM

barman@jhu.edu wrote:
> I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a
> second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the
> Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from
> my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically.
>
> But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well
> from my primary, and a snapshot made of my backup disk. I am thinking
> of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive.
>
> Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular
> external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something
> like:

I'm not sure if my procedure is what you are looking for, but I have a
spare hard drive for my laptop. I put it in a usb enclosure then I make
a clone of the working drive to the spare using retrospect.

If I have a drive failure I can take the spare out of the enclosure and
install it in the drive bay.

John
a b G Storage
May 26, 2005 1:17:48 PM

What I mean is that I want to have a recovery disk for C:. So if C: is
damaged, I can then restore C: from the more recent of E: or F:. My
backups onto D: include historical versions, so I also want to have a
backup of that volume. When you suggest creating separate images of my
primary disk, how can I do just that? Diskcopy? Thanks!

--Dilip
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 26, 2005 2:59:07 PM

Okay, I do have Ghost, though the documentation is very dense. But
going back to my scenario, what would be appropriate hardware (can I
buy a standard hard disk and put it into a USB enclosure, or should I
look at USB2 disks like the Maxtor One-Touch?) and a way to implement
my algorithm of making backups to alternate partitions? Thanks.
May 26, 2005 5:19:39 PM

> What I mean is that I want to have a recovery disk for C:. So if C: is
> damaged, I can then restore C: from the more recent of E: or F:. My
> backups onto D: include historical versions, so I also want to have a
> backup of that volume. When you suggest creating separate images of my
> primary disk, how can I do just that? Diskcopy? Thanks!

Diskcopy? Oh, no, use imaging software for efficiency and simplicity.
Personaly, I would create WinPE CD with ghost32 and script the whole
thing (rotating image to external USB hard drive).
I would boot off that CD every time I want to create an image.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 27, 2005 3:07:38 AM

What should I look for in finding a hard disk that would fit in a USB
enclosure? Would that be a better way to go than using a USB2 external
disk? Thanks!

Dilip
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 27, 2005 8:25:24 PM

<barman@jhu.edu> wrote in message

> What should I look for in finding a hard
> disk that would fit in a USB enclosure?

Basically one that takes the minimum power, because
many of the enclosures dont cool the drive adequately.

> Would that be a better way to go than using a USB2 external disk?

Thats all they are, standard drive in an enclosure.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 17, 2005 5:45:10 AM

One more point ... I heard that Ghost won't work with a USB 2 hard
drive. Is that the case? If so, can I buy a USB 2 hard drive and make
backups, including a complete system image to a partition in an
external drive without Ghost? I know that most USB 2 drives ship with
software, which presumably could do incremental, manual, and complete
system backups to specific partitions? Thanks!

Dilip

barman@jhu.edu wrote:
> I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a
> second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the
> Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from
> my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically.
>
> But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well
> from my primary, and a snapshot made of my backup disk. I am thinking
> of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive.
>
> Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular
> external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something
> like:
>
> (assume primary is C:, secondary is D:)
>
> 0) Partition external into 4 partitions, E:/F:/G:/H:, each @ 40G
>
> 1) Let target1 = [E: or F:]
>
> 2) Let target2 = [G: or H:]
>
> Repeat forever
> a) Make a complete system image of C: onto target1
> b) Set target1 to its opposite value
> c) Make a complete system image (or even just a data copy) of D: onto
> target 2
> d) Set target2 to its opposite value
> e) Sleep (for several days or weeks till I reattach the external
> drive and instigate the process again)
> End repeat
>

> ... and to easily restore C: or D: to the past or second-past backup?
> Thanks!
>
> Dilip
June 17, 2005 2:01:57 PM

> One more point ... I heard that Ghost won't work with a USB 2 hard
> drive. Is that the case? If so, can I buy a USB 2 hard drive and make
> backups, including a complete system image to a partition in an
> external drive without Ghost? I know that most USB 2 drives ship with
> software, which presumably could do incremental, manual, and complete
> system backups to specific partitions? Thanks!

Ghost32.exe running under WinPE (BartPE or else) can easily image
to external USB 2 hard drive. I have made a quick test and it imaged
with 1200MB/min using fast option. I had used an old Maxtor
OneTouch device.
!