Suggestions for easy Windows XP Professional laptop backup..

I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a
second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the
Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from
my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically.

But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well
from my primary, and a snapshot made of my backup disk. I am thinking
of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive.

Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular
external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something
like:

(assume primary is C:, secondary is D:)

0) Partition external into 4 partitions, E:/F:/G:/H:, each @ 40G

1) Let target1 = [E: or F:]

2) Let target2 =

Repeat forever
a) Make a complete system image of C: onto target1
b) Set target1 to its opposite value
c) Make a complete system image (or even just a data copy) of D: onto
target 2
d) Set target2 to its opposite value
e) Sleep (for several days or weeks till I reattach the external
drive and instigate the process again)
End repeat

.... and to easily restore C: or D: to the past or second-past backup?
Thanks!

Dilip
9 answers Last reply
More about suggestions easy windows professional laptop backup

    > I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a
    > second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the
    > Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from
    > my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically.
    >
    > But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well
    > from my primary,

    How do you get a "bootable complete system image" on your primary?

    > ....and a snapshot made of my backup disk.

    Why do you need to create a snapshot of your backup disk?

    > I am thinking
    > of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive.
    >
    > Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular
    > external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something
    > like:
    >
    > (assume primary is C:, secondary is D:)
    >
    > 0) Partition external into 4 partitions, E:/F:/G:/H:, each @ 40G
    >
    > 1) Let target1 = [E: or F:]
    >
    > 2) Let target2 =
    >
    > Repeat forever
    > a) Make a complete system image of C: onto target1
    > b) Set target1 to its opposite value
    > c) Make a complete system image (or even just a data copy) of D: onto
    > target 2
    > d) Set target2 to its opposite value
    > e) Sleep (for several days or weeks till I reattach the external
    > drive and instigate the process again)
    > End repeat
    >

    > ... and to easily restore C: or D: to the past or second-past backup?
    > Thanks!

    Just create separate images of your primary disk. Store image files
    on your external USB drive and name them differently.

    barman@jhu.edu wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a
    > second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the
    > Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from
    > my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically.
    >
    > But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well
    > from my primary, and a snapshot made of my backup disk. I am thinking
    > of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive.
    >
    > Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular
    > external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something
    > like:

    I'm not sure if my procedure is what you are looking for, but I have a
    spare hard drive for my laptop. I put it in a usb enclosure then I make
    a clone of the working drive to the spare using retrospect.

    If I have a drive failure I can take the spare out of the enclosure and
    install it in the drive bay.

    John

    What I mean is that I want to have a recovery disk for C:. So if C: is
    damaged, I can then restore C: from the more recent of E: or F:. My
    backups onto D: include historical versions, so I also want to have a
    backup of that volume. When you suggest creating separate images of my
    primary disk, how can I do just that? Diskcopy? Thanks!

    --Dilip

    Okay, I do have Ghost, though the documentation is very dense. But
    going back to my scenario, what would be appropriate hardware (can I
    buy a standard hard disk and put it into a USB enclosure, or should I
    look at USB2 disks like the Maxtor One-Touch?) and a way to implement
    my algorithm of making backups to alternate partitions? Thanks.

    > What I mean is that I want to have a recovery disk for C:. So if C: is
    > damaged, I can then restore C: from the more recent of E: or F:. My
    > backups onto D: include historical versions, so I also want to have a
    > backup of that volume. When you suggest creating separate images of my
    > primary disk, how can I do just that? Diskcopy? Thanks!

    Diskcopy? Oh, no, use imaging software for efficiency and simplicity.
    Personaly, I would create WinPE CD with ghost32 and script the whole
    thing (rotating image to external USB hard drive).
    I would boot off that CD every time I want to create an image.

    What should I look for in finding a hard disk that would fit in a USB
    enclosure? Would that be a better way to go than using a USB2 external
    disk? Thanks!

    Dilip

    <barman@jhu.edu> wrote in message

    > What should I look for in finding a hard
    > disk that would fit in a USB enclosure?

    Basically one that takes the minimum power, because
    many of the enclosures dont cool the drive adequately.

    > Would that be a better way to go than using a USB2 external disk?

    Thats all they are, standard drive in an enclosure.

    One more point ... I heard that Ghost won't work with a USB 2 hard
    drive. Is that the case? If so, can I buy a USB 2 hard drive and make
    backups, including a complete system image to a partition in an
    external drive without Ghost? I know that most USB 2 drives ship with
    software, which presumably could do incremental, manual, and complete
    system backups to specific partitions? Thanks!

    Dilip

    barman@jhu.edu wrote:
    > I have a Windows XP Professional laptop with a 40GB hard disk and a
    > second 40GB hard disk that I use primarily for backup. I love the
    > Second Copy backup utility, and it runs and makes archived copies from
    > my primary to my secondary hard disk periodically.
    >
    > But I'd like to have a bootable complete system image copied as well
    > from my primary, and a snapshot made of my backup disk. I am thinking
    > of purchasing a 160GB external USB drive.
    >
    > Are there any suggestions of software strategies, as well as particular
    > external drive hardware, that would easily enable me to do something
    > like:
    >
    > (assume primary is C:, secondary is D:)
    >
    > 0) Partition external into 4 partitions, E:/F:/G:/H:, each @ 40G
    >
    > 1) Let target1 = [E: or F:]
    >
    > 2) Let target2 =
    >
    > Repeat forever
    > a) Make a complete system image of C: onto target1
    > b) Set target1 to its opposite value
    > c) Make a complete system image (or even just a data copy) of D: onto
    > target 2
    > d) Set target2 to its opposite value
    > e) Sleep (for several days or weeks till I reattach the external
    > drive and instigate the process again)
    > End repeat
    >

    > ... and to easily restore C: or D: to the past or second-past backup?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Dilip

    > One more point ... I heard that Ghost won't work with a USB 2 hard
    > drive. Is that the case? If so, can I buy a USB 2 hard drive and make
    > backups, including a complete system image to a partition in an
    > external drive without Ghost? I know that most USB 2 drives ship with
    > software, which presumably could do incremental, manual, and complete
    > system backups to specific partitions? Thanks!

    Ghost32.exe running under WinPE (BartPE or else) can easily image
    to external USB 2 hard drive. I have made a quick test and it imaged
    with 1200MB/min using fast option. I had used an old Maxtor
    OneTouch device.

Backup Hard Drives Windows XP Storage