Drive Image 8 crashing after latest Windows XP updates.

Hi

I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) and been regularly using Powerquest DI8 for
backing up my data without problems.

That is until a few days ago, when I installed several Windows (recommended
critical) updates .

Now my PC crashes part way through DI backing up one of my largest
partitions (16.4Gb). The screen goes black and that's it!

The only way out of the crash is a reboot.

However it runs OK on smaller partitions. The largest partition I've backed
up without a problem so far is 7Gb.

Identified the cause?

Found a fix?

Here's hoping!

Thanks for any info.

Ian

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) and been regularly using Powerquest DI8
> for backing up my data without problems.
>
> That is until a few days ago, when I installed several Windows
> (recommended critical) updates .
>
> Now my PC crashes part way through DI backing up one of my largest
> partitions (16.4Gb). The screen goes black and that's it!

Sorry guys - its DI7. I got it mixed up with PartitionMagic V8

Thanks for checking and apologies for the confusion!

Ian

Ian Roberts wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) and been regularly using Powerquest
> DI8 for backing up my data without problems.
>
> That is until a few days ago, when I installed several Windows
> (recommended critical) updates .
>
> Now my PC crashes part way through DI backing up one of my largest
> partitions (16.4Gb). The screen goes black and that's it!
>
> The only way out of the crash is a reboot.
>
> However it runs OK on smaller partitions. The largest partition I've
> backed up without a problem so far is 7Gb.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>
> Identified the cause?
>
> Found a fix?
>
> Here's hoping!
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Ian

PowerQuest Drive Image 8.0 does not exist!
What's the product exactly called?

Are you referring to Norton Ghost 9.0, aka the next Drive Image 7.0?

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Stephen

On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:39:56 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Roberts"
<sorry@NOSPAM.com> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) and been regularly using Powerquest DI8
>> for backing up my data without problems.
>>
>> That is until a few days ago, when I installed several Windows
>> (recommended critical) updates .
>>
>> Now my PC crashes part way through DI backing up one of my largest
>> partitions (16.4Gb). The screen goes black and that's it!
>>

>Sorry guys - its DI7. I got it mixed up with PartitionMagic V8
>
>Thanks for checking and apologies for the confusion!
>
>Ian

Have you installed the latest update from Symantec for Drive Image 7?

Stephen

"Stephen" <stephen2002{NOSPAM}@lurker.homeip.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:39:56 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Roberts"
>

>>Sorry guys - its DI7. I got it mixed up with PartitionMagic V8
>>
>>Thanks for checking and apologies for the confusion!
>>
>>Ian
>>

> Have you installed the latest update from Symantec for Drive Image 7?
>
> Stephen

Hi Stephen

Yes thanks - I'm already running 7.03. ASAIK its the only update since March
2004!

Ian

Ian Roberts wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) and been regularly using Powerquest
> DI8 for backing up my data without problems.
>
> That is until a few days ago, when I installed several Windows
> (recommended critical) updates .
>
> Now my PC crashes part way through DI backing up one of my largest
> partitions (16.4Gb). The screen goes black and that's it!
>
> The only way out of the crash is a reboot.
>
> However it runs OK on smaller partitions. The largest partition I've
> backed up without a problem so far is 7Gb.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?
>
> Identified the cause?
>
> Found a fix?
>
> Here's hoping!
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Ian

You're sure it's no (3rd party) screensaver (or other scheduled process of
any kind) that spoils the fun? (you mentioned a black screen)

Make sure no background apps/tools find an opportunity to intervene, run
i.e. a clean boot by disabling all StartUp items using MSConfig
Make sure the partition(s) to be backup are checked and defragmented

--

> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) and been regularly using Powerquest DI8
> > for backing up my data without problems.
> >
> > That is until a few days ago, when I installed several Windows
> > (recommended critical) updates .
> >
> > Now my PC crashes part way through DI backing up one of my largest
> > partitions (16.4Gb). The screen goes black and that's it!
> >

> Sorry guys - its DI7. I got it mixed up with PartitionMagic V8
>
> Thanks for checking and apologies for the confusion!
>
> Ian

Odd, I have DI 7.03 installed, XP SP2 and all the updates including up till
yesterday. DI images fine, including partitions well in excess of your
maximum size. DI does beat up the swapfile on my system during imaging.
That may be associated with your problem. No partition has data in excess
of 32GB here. I keep the swapfile on an alternate hard drive.

The accompanying NET framework installation requirement for DI 7 has two
updates. One is to the 1.1 version, and the other is a security update.
The latter is very recent and may have glitched either in the download or
the install. They are considering a 2.0 version in the future.

Try this if it applies to you:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899619

> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I'm running Windows XP Pro (SP2) and been regularly using Powerquest
>> > DI8
>> > for backing up my data without problems.
>> >
>> > That is until a few days ago, when I installed several Windows
>> > (recommended critical) updates .
>> >
>> > Now my PC crashes part way through DI backing up one of my largest
>> > partitions (16.4Gb). The screen goes black and that's it!
>> >

>> Sorry guys - its DI7. I got it mixed up with PartitionMagic V8
>>
>> Thanks for checking and apologies for the confusion!
>>
>> Ian
>>

> Odd, I have DI 7.03 installed, XP SP2 and all the updates including up
> till
> yesterday. DI images fine, including partitions well in excess of your
> maximum size. DI does beat up the swapfile on my system during imaging.
> That may be associated with your problem. No partition has data in excess
> of 32GB here. I keep the swapfile on an alternate hard drive.
>
> The accompanying NET framework installation requirement for DI 7 has two
> updates. One is to the 1.1 version, and the other is a security update.
> The latter is very recent and may have glitched either in the download or
> the install. They are considering a 2.0 version in the future.
>
> Try this if it applies to you:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899619

Thanks Lil' Dave.

Yes this could be it.

I have a .net framework 1.1 (SP1) update which refuses to install!

Many thanks for the link. I'll let you know how it goes with the
removal/reinstallation.

Regards

Ian

> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

snip...

> Odd, I have DI 7.03 installed, XP SP2 and all the updates including up
> till
> yesterday. DI images fine, including partitions well in excess of your
> maximum size. DI does beat up the swapfile on my system during imaging.
> That may be associated with your problem. No partition has data in excess
> of 32GB here. I keep the swapfile on an alternate hard drive.
>
> The accompanying NET framework installation requirement for DI 7 has two
> updates. One is to the 1.1 version, and the other is a security update.
> The latter is very recent and may have glitched either in the download or
> the install. They are considering a 2.0 version in the future.
>
> Try this if it applies to you:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899619

Had a look at the link.

What an irony.... the two items it suggests should be removed arent even
installed on my system. However KB886903 consistently fails to
install.

Ive tried removing net framework and reinstalling but it hasnt cured it.

When I can muster the will I'll have another go.

My guess the only way out of this is a full new clean install which is a lot
of work!! I'm trying to avoid that and waiting til I get new drives or
upgrade my whole system but that wont be for while yet

What a pain!!

Cheers

Ian