Lost M-peg 4 video, after Windows Media Player Update

After installing the updated Windows Media Player 10, I
can no longer display Mpeg 4 videos I have on file in my
pictures.

The files seem to be there, as I get the audio tracks,
but the media player remains black.

I "rolled back" the 10 version of Windows Media Player,
and I think I'm now operating on version 9. No changes,
still hearing the audio tracks, but no video.

Any help is appreciated ... Thanks in Advance.
2 answers Last reply
More about lost video windows media player update

    I, too have lost video. This was after downloading the
    service pack 2. For the last two months I have tried to
    get the issue resolved. As of 5 minutes ago, I had been
    on hold with "paid support" for over 45 minutes. Then,
    the music stopped and we were disconnected without me
    ever talking to anyone. I REALLY need this fixed. I
    have perfect audio and no video!
    This has to be a settings issue, but somehow no one has
    been able to fix the problem.

    HELP!!!!

    I presume you both already checked:

    MyComputer->Properties->Hardware->DeviceManager->SoundVideoAndGameControllers->VideCodecs->Properties

    There should be a list of your active codecs, together with their respective
    properties.

    But again, the mpeg4 you are refering to probably being .wmv - the codecs
    from above list may not apply...

    Second suggestion: Give Windows Media Encoder a try. Install it and hope it
    will install it's batch of codecs, including WMV, that is mp4.

    Not really exact, but hope above will help,

    Bob

    "melanie" wrote:

    > I, too have lost video. This was after downloading the
    > service pack 2. For the last two months I have tried to
    > get the issue resolved. As of 5 minutes ago, I had been
    > on hold with "paid support" for over 45 minutes. Then,
    > the music stopped and we were disconnected without me
    > ever talking to anyone. I REALLY need this fixed. I
    > have perfect audio and no video!
    > This has to be a settings issue, but somehow no one has
    > been able to fix the problem.
    >
    > HELP!!!!

Video Media Player Windows XP