New motherboard, old hard disk with XP installed

Last response: in Storage
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
May 27, 2005 11:32:14 AM

I have a 80GB Seagate hard disk (ST380011A), that I was using with a
motherboard for long. it has two partitions: 8GB and the rest. The 8GB
has OS

I got a new Abit IS-10 mobo, with AwardBIOS (v6.0). It does recognize
the harddisk as 80GB, LBA, but it fails to load the OS. It just hangs
on "Verifying DMI Pool data....."

What can be the issue?

Thanks
May 27, 2005 4:19:55 PM

> I have a 80GB Seagate hard disk (ST380011A), that I was using with a
> motherboard for long. it has two partitions: 8GB and the rest. The 8GB
> has OS
>
> I got a new Abit IS-10 mobo, with AwardBIOS (v6.0). It does recognize
> the harddisk as 80GB, LBA, but it fails to load the OS. It just hangs
> on "Verifying DMI Pool data....."
>
> What can be the issue?

Disk was not set up as LBA with your old mobo.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
May 27, 2005 9:26:23 PM

moid.alam@gmail.com wrote in

> I have a 80GB Seagate hard disk (ST380011A), that I was using
> with a motherboard for long. it has two partitions: 8GB and the
> rest. The 8GB has OS
>
> I got a new Abit IS-10 mobo, with AwardBIOS (v6.0). It does
> recognize the harddisk as 80GB, LBA, but it fails to load the
> OS. It just hangs on "Verifying DMI Pool data....."
>
> What can be the issue?

Motherboard and/or disk driver incompatibility(ies).

A repair install of XP will usually fix it/them. See here for
details: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
May 28, 2005 11:15:32 PM

Normally I would say the disk geometry is different on the two MBs. However,
that should give you one of the three MBR error messages, not a hang.

I would start with a WinME/XP boot floppy, and run fdisk /status. It could be
a IDE problem (bad cable) corrupting data.

<moid.alam@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a 80GB Seagate hard disk (ST380011A), that I was using with a
> motherboard for long. it has two partitions: 8GB and the rest. The 8GB
> has OS
>
> I got a new Abit IS-10 mobo, with AwardBIOS (v6.0). It does recognize
> the harddisk as 80GB, LBA, but it fails to load the OS. It just hangs
> on "Verifying DMI Pool data....."

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b G Storage
May 29, 2005 11:05:06 AM

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:NMHle.10031$dZ5.902365@news20.bellglobal.com
> > I have a 80GB Seagate hard disk (ST380011A), that I was using with a
> > motherboard for long. it has two partitions: 8GB and the rest. The 8GB
> > has OS
> >
> > I got a new Abit IS-10 mobo, with AwardBIOS (v6.0). It does recognize
> > the harddisk as 80GB, LBA, but it fails to load the OS. It just hangs
> > on "Verifying DMI Pool data....."
> >
> > What can be the issue?
>
> Disk was not set up as LBA with your old mobo.

And how does that cause a hang without a message?
!