video capture

I've got a digital camera (Sony DCR-TRV25), a video capturer device (PCI Fire
Wire IEEE 1394) and a Pentium 4 PC operated by Windows XP Professional. My
trouble: my computer does not capture the video. It doesn't recognize the
camera. What I have to do? I appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks.

Cam must be powered by mains electricity not battery.
Turned on and in the vcr/playback position with tape in ready to go.
When you connect the cam with the firewire cable to the pc do you get the XP
ping?
If no, check device manager to see if there are any problems with the
firewire card and also try a cable that you know works, as cheap cables can
be a pain.
If it does ping, then let us know what happens next.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
> I've got a digital camera (Sony DCR-TRV25), a video capturer device (PCI
Fire
> Wire IEEE 1394) and a Pentium 4 PC operated by Windows XP Professional. My
> trouble: my computer does not capture the video. It doesn't recognize the
> camera. What I have to do? I appreciate any kind of help.
>
> Thanks.

KJ

I'm having the same trouble of capturing my video to the computer. I hear a
ping from XP, but when I try to capture, it says unknown error. Do I need to
buy a new firewall cord? thanks

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> Cam must be powered by mains electricity not battery.
> Turned on and in the vcr/playback position with tape in ready to go.
> When you connect the cam with the firewire cable to the pc do you get the XP
> ping?
> If no, check device manager to see if there are any problems with the
> firewire card and also try a cable that you know works, as cheap cables can
> be a pain.
> If it does ping, then let us know what happens next.
>
> Graham
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
> "Cristiano Romero" <Cristiano Romero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:D70A0DB2-0CCE-4A01-8DD9-35A701958BCA@microsoft.com...
> > I've got a digital camera (Sony DCR-TRV25), a video capturer device (PCI
> Fire
> > Wire IEEE 1394) and a Pentium 4 PC operated by Windows XP Professional. My
> > trouble: my computer does not capture the video. It doesn't recognize the
> > camera. What I have to do? I appreciate any kind of help.
> >
> > Thanks.

KJ,
If you get the ping then it means the cam is communcating with windows. You
may now see dv-in displayed on the screen of teh cam and if you look in
device manager you should see the camera in there.
If you can confirm this and then list the details of how you try to capture
and with what.

Grahamn

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media
"KJ" <KJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same trouble of capturing my video to the computer. I hear
> ping from XP, but when I try to capture, it says unknown error. Do I need
> buy a new firewall cord? thanks
>
> "Graham Hughes" wrote:
>
> > Cam must be powered by mains electricity not battery.
> > Turned on and in the vcr/playback position with tape in ready to go.
> > When you connect the cam with the firewire cable to the pc do you get
the XP
> > ping?
> > If no, check device manager to see if there are any problems with the
> > firewire card and also try a cable that you know works, as cheap cables
can
> > be a pain.
> > If it does ping, then let us know what happens next.
> >
> > Graham
> >
> > --
> > Graham Hughes
> > MVP Digital Media
> > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > www.simplydv.com
> > "Cristiano Romero" <Cristiano Romero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:D70A0DB2-0CCE-4A01-8DD9-35A701958BCA@microsoft.com...
> > > I've got a digital camera (Sony DCR-TRV25), a video capturer device
(PCI
> > Fire
> > > Wire IEEE 1394) and a Pentium 4 PC operated by Windows XP
Professional. My
> > > trouble: my computer does not capture the video. It doesn't recognize
the
> > > camera. What I have to do? I appreciate any kind of help.
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Dear Graham,

I also have the similar problem. I launch Windows Movie Maker. Select
"Capture Video" from File Menu. A new screen comes up. From here I can
control the camera. Clicking on Play button starts playing the Tape on
Camera. But Stop button does not stop the tape. Screen starts showing "No
Tape". Even if I have selected "Preview Clip while Recording" option, Screen
does not show the clip.

Apart from this, Start capture button also does not work.

Since I am able to play the tape from Windows Movie Maker, it means
Connection is secured from PC to Camera.

I am not able to figure out the reason for this.

Kindly help.

Thanks and Regards,
Neeraj

"Graham Hughes" wrote:

> KJ,
> If you get the ping then it means the cam is communcating with windows. You
> may now see dv-in displayed on the screen of teh cam and if you look in
> device manager you should see the camera in there.
> If you can confirm this and then list the details of how you try to capture
> and with what.
>
> Grahamn
>
> --
> Graham Hughes
> MVP Digital Media
> www.dvds2treasure.com
> www.simplydv.com
> "KJ" <KJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having the same trouble of capturing my video to the computer. I hear
> > ping from XP, but when I try to capture, it says unknown error. Do I need
> > buy a new firewall cord? thanks
> >
> > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
> >
> > > Cam must be powered by mains electricity not battery.
> > > Turned on and in the vcr/playback position with tape in ready to go.
> > > When you connect the cam with the firewire cable to the pc do you get
> the XP
> > > ping?
> > > If no, check device manager to see if there are any problems with the
> > > firewire card and also try a cable that you know works, as cheap cables
> can
> > > be a pain.
> > > If it does ping, then let us know what happens next.
> > >
> > > Graham
> > >
> > > --
> > > Graham Hughes
> > > MVP Digital Media
> > > www.dvds2treasure.com
> > > www.simplydv.com
> > > "Cristiano Romero" <Cristiano Romero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > > message news:D70A0DB2-0CCE-4A01-8DD9-35A701958BCA@microsoft.com...
> (PCI
> > > Fire
> Professional. My
> the

Check out www.papajohn.org and see the problem solving pages, there is quite
a bit of info in there. May be best to start with acceleration and codecs.
Try windv as an alternative to capture. If this does not work it means it's
not MM that's the problem but something in your system. Can you list pc and
camera specs.
A link to windv here
http://www.simplydv.co.uk/simplyBB/viewtopic.php?t=1165

--