Where's that HD?

Just got back from CompUSA with new external (USB) hard drive.
Plugged it into my PC (WinXP) and new hardware was recognized.
So I went into MY COMPUTER and found C-drive and D-cd, and NOTHING
ELSE. I want to do a backup...but TO WHERE?

What should I look for?
Windows System reports that mass storage is working properly on USB
controller.

Thanks,
Nik

plug the external hard drive into another USB interface(your computer
has at lest 2 interfaces)

I am not sure if it would work . but try it,and let us see.

peter

> Just got back from CompUSA with new external (USB) hard drive.
> Plugged it into my PC (WinXP) and new hardware was recognized.
> So I went into MY COMPUTER and found C-drive and D-cd, and NOTHING
> ELSE. I want to do a backup...but TO WHERE?
>
> What should I look for?
> Windows System reports that mass storage is working properly on USB
> controller.

Start | Run | diskmgmt.msc

In "Graphical View" do you see your disk?

In "Volume List" do you see an extra volume without
assigned drive letter? If that is the case, right click on
that volume and assign a drive letter (Change Drive
Letter and Paths...)

<optxx@juno.com> wrote in message

> Just got back from CompUSA with new external (USB) hard drive.
> Plugged it into my PC (WinXP) and new hardware was recognized.
> So I went into MY COMPUTER and found C-drive and D-cd, and NOTHING
> ELSE. I want to do a backup...but TO WHERE?

> What should I look for?

You should be looking for the drive in Disk Management
and should partition and format it there.

optxx@juno.com wrote:

> Just got back from CompUSA with new external (USB) hard drive.
> Plugged it into my PC (WinXP) and new hardware was recognized.
> So I went into MY COMPUTER and found C-drive and D-cd, and NOTHING
> ELSE. I want to do a backup...but TO WHERE?
>
> What should I look for?
> Windows System reports that mass storage is working properly on USB
> controller.

You _have_ gone into Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer
Management/Disk Management and formatted the disk and assigned it a drive
letter have you not?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate