XP doesn't recognise my Sony Camcorder

I recently installed a VIA USB2/ieee1394 combo card. When I originally
installed it, it worked fine recognising the camcorder (Sony DCR TRV22e).
However when I next used it a couple of weeks later it would not recognise
the device. There is no tell-tail ping. Device manager shows both the USB2
controller and the IEEE1394 controller both are working fine. The USB2 side
of the card is fine, recognising the USB output from the camcorder. the
camcorder is aware that the DVin is connected. I have tried 2 different brand
new cables.
I first noticed the problem after installing SP2. However I have restored
back to prior to the SP2 installation and it still didn't work. I have
uninstalled and reinstalled the IEEE1394 controller, attempted to update
drivers, but they are generic and XP can't find better drivers. There do not
appear to be any drivers on the Via website. Does anyone know how to get the
IEEE1394 working? is it something to do with registry? Any help would be
gratefully received.
8 answers Last reply
More about doesn recognise sony camcorder

    Check in the security console that teh firewire port is blocked by the
    firewall.
    Graham

    --
    Graham Hughes
    MVP Digital Media
    "TraceySB" <TraceySB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I recently installed a VIA USB2/ieee1394 combo card. When I originally
    > installed it, it worked fine recognising the camcorder (Sony DCR TRV22e).
    > However when I next used it a couple of weeks later it would not recognise
    > the device. There is no tell-tail ping. Device manager shows both the USB2
    > controller and the IEEE1394 controller both are working fine. The USB2
    side
    > of the card is fine, recognising the USB output from the camcorder. the
    > camcorder is aware that the DVin is connected. I have tried 2 different
    brand
    > new cables.
    > I first noticed the problem after installing SP2. However I have restored
    > back to prior to the SP2 installation and it still didn't work. I have
    > uninstalled and reinstalled the IEEE1394 controller, attempted to update
    > drivers, but they are generic and XP can't find better drivers. There do
    not
    > appear to be any drivers on the Via website. Does anyone know how to get
    the
    > IEEE1394 working? is it something to do with registry? Any help would be
    > gratefully received.

    I had the same problem, I disable the firewall on the IEEE 1394 as well on
    the whole system. with no luck.

    I had to reinstall the OS again to resolved the problem. I install SP2 again
    teh problem came back. This time I could uninstall SP2 everything in working
    fine.

    BUT SP2 is the problem.

    I have a sony trv33 video camera.

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Check in the security console that teh firewire port is blocked by the
    > firewall.
    > Graham
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    > "TraceySB" <TraceySB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I recently installed a VIA USB2/ieee1394 combo card. When I originally
    > > installed it, it worked fine recognising the camcorder (Sony DCR TRV22e).
    > > However when I next used it a couple of weeks later it would not recognise
    > > the device. There is no tell-tail ping. Device manager shows both the USB2
    > > controller and the IEEE1394 controller both are working fine. The USB2
    > side
    > > of the card is fine, recognising the USB output from the camcorder. the
    > > camcorder is aware that the DVin is connected. I have tried 2 different
    > brand
    > > new cables.
    > > I first noticed the problem after installing SP2. However I have restored
    > > back to prior to the SP2 installation and it still didn't work. I have
    > > uninstalled and reinstalled the IEEE1394 controller, attempted to update
    > > drivers, but they are generic and XP can't find better drivers. There do
    > not
    > > appear to be any drivers on the Via website. Does anyone know how to get
    > the
    > > IEEE1394 working? is it something to do with registry? Any help would be
    > > gratefully received.

    I also have the same problem, an IEEE 1394 PCI Card (a D-Link DRF-A3) which
    was working fine with my Sony TRV-320 on Win XP Pro SP1a, but has now stopped
    working after installing Win XP Pro SP2. Have not been able to find any KB or
    TechNet items on possible fixes for this, but looking through this forum it
    would appear that a lot of people are getting the same problem.
    I know that my camera & IEEE cable are OK, as I can test these on another
    machine that does not have SP2 installed. Also the IEEE card reports "no
    problems" in the devices manager, and has been disabled as a network device
    and had the firewall settings removed from the IEEE connection.
    Any further suggestions most welcome.

    "entrpz" wrote:

    > I had the same problem, I disable the firewall on the IEEE 1394 as well on
    > the whole system. with no luck.
    >
    > I had to reinstall the OS again to resolved the problem. I install SP2 again
    > teh problem came back. This time I could uninstall SP2 everything in working
    > fine.
    >
    > BUT SP2 is the problem.
    >
    > I have a sony trv33 video camera.
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > Check in the security console that teh firewire port is blocked by the
    > > firewall.
    > > Graham
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > > "TraceySB" <TraceySB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I recently installed a VIA USB2/ieee1394 combo card. When I originally
    > > > installed it, it worked fine recognising the camcorder (Sony DCR TRV22e).
    > > > However when I next used it a couple of weeks later it would not recognise
    > > > the device. There is no tell-tail ping. Device manager shows both the USB2
    > > > controller and the IEEE1394 controller both are working fine. The USB2
    > > side
    > > > of the card is fine, recognising the USB output from the camcorder. the
    > > > camcorder is aware that the DVin is connected. I have tried 2 different
    > > brand
    > > > new cables.
    > > > I first noticed the problem after installing SP2. However I have restored
    > > > back to prior to the SP2 installation and it still didn't work. I have
    > > > uninstalled and reinstalled the IEEE1394 controller, attempted to update
    > > > drivers, but they are generic and XP can't find better drivers. There do
    > > not
    > > > appear to be any drivers on the Via website. Does anyone know how to get
    > > the
    > > > IEEE1394 working? is it something to do with registry? Any help would be
    > > > gratefully received.

    Graham
    Thanks for the advice, however I've just been in the security centre and
    can't see anything at all that relates to the firewire port. Wherabouts
    should I be looking?

    "Graham Hughes" wrote:

    > Check in the security console that teh firewire port is blocked by the
    > firewall.
    > Graham
    >
    > --
    > Graham Hughes
    > MVP Digital Media
    > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > www.simplydv.com
    > "TraceySB" <TraceySB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I recently installed a VIA USB2/ieee1394 combo card. When I originally
    > > installed it, it worked fine recognising the camcorder (Sony DCR TRV22e).
    > > However when I next used it a couple of weeks later it would not recognise
    > > the device. There is no tell-tail ping. Device manager shows both the USB2
    > > controller and the IEEE1394 controller both are working fine. The USB2
    > side
    > > of the card is fine, recognising the USB output from the camcorder. the
    > > camcorder is aware that the DVin is connected. I have tried 2 different
    > brand
    > > new cables.
    > > I first noticed the problem after installing SP2. However I have restored
    > > back to prior to the SP2 installation and it still didn't work. I have
    > > uninstalled and reinstalled the IEEE1394 controller, attempted to update
    > > drivers, but they are generic and XP can't find better drivers. There do
    > not
    > > appear to be any drivers on the Via website. Does anyone know how to get
    > the
    > > IEEE1394 working? is it something to do with registry? Any help would be
    > > gratefully received.

    Hi TraceySB,

    There are some problem with the 4-pin connector end of the cable and Sony
    digital cameras. As the electrical contacts in the female connector on your
    camera are quite deep inside the camera body you need a firewire cable with
    the pins very close to the edge of the connector shield. There are cables
    where the 4 electrical pins are too far inside the connector housing on your
    4-to-6 pins firewire cable. You need to check for this, it did solve my
    problem immediately. Also check my message posted today on this subject.

    Cheers,

    DaVinci

    "TraceySB" wrote:

    > Graham
    > Thanks for the advice, however I've just been in the security centre and
    > can't see anything at all that relates to the firewire port. Wherabouts
    > should I be looking?
    >
    > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    >
    > > Check in the security console that teh firewire port is blocked by the
    > > firewall.
    > > Graham
    > >
    > > --
    > > Graham Hughes
    > > MVP Digital Media
    > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > www.simplydv.com
    > > "TraceySB" <TraceySB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I recently installed a VIA USB2/ieee1394 combo card. When I originally
    > > > installed it, it worked fine recognising the camcorder (Sony DCR TRV22e).
    > > > However when I next used it a couple of weeks later it would not recognise
    > > > the device. There is no tell-tail ping. Device manager shows both the USB2
    > > > controller and the IEEE1394 controller both are working fine. The USB2
    > > side
    > > > of the card is fine, recognising the USB output from the camcorder. the
    > > > camcorder is aware that the DVin is connected. I have tried 2 different
    > > brand
    > > > new cables.
    > > > I first noticed the problem after installing SP2. However I have restored
    > > > back to prior to the SP2 installation and it still didn't work. I have
    > > > uninstalled and reinstalled the IEEE1394 controller, attempted to update
    > > > drivers, but they are generic and XP can't find better drivers. There do
    > > not
    > > > appear to be any drivers on the Via website. Does anyone know how to get
    > > the
    > > > IEEE1394 working? is it something to do with registry? Any help would be
    > > > gratefully received.

    Hi DaVinci

    Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think that it will work in my case as
    prior to SP2 being installed, it worked fine using the Sony cable, and also
    the camcorder is aware that it is plugged in, as it shows "DV IN" when I plug
    in the cable. I also have a Belkin cable and have compared the 2 cables. I
    see what you mean about the pins, the ones on the Sony cable are much closer
    to the edge of the housing than the Belkin. Any more suggestions? Thanks

    "DaVinci" wrote:

    > Hi TraceySB,
    >
    > There are some problem with the 4-pin connector end of the cable and Sony
    > digital cameras. As the electrical contacts in the female connector on your
    > camera are quite deep inside the camera body you need a firewire cable with
    > the pins very close to the edge of the connector shield. There are cables
    > where the 4 electrical pins are too far inside the connector housing on your
    > 4-to-6 pins firewire cable. You need to check for this, it did solve my
    > problem immediately. Also check my message posted today on this subject.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > DaVinci
    >
    > "TraceySB" wrote:
    >
    > > Graham
    > > Thanks for the advice, however I've just been in the security centre and
    > > can't see anything at all that relates to the firewire port. Wherabouts
    > > should I be looking?
    > >
    > > "Graham Hughes" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Check in the security console that teh firewire port is blocked by the
    > > > firewall.
    > > > Graham
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Graham Hughes
    > > > MVP Digital Media
    > > > www.dvds2treasure.com
    > > > www.simplydv.com
    > > > "TraceySB" <TraceySB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > side
    > > > brand
    > > > not
    > > > the

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Tracy

    Had had the same problem.

    I had to reinstall the OS from scratch for my Camera to work.
    Un-installing SP2 did not work at all.

    The alonely time the SP2 uninstall work was after a fresh install.
    I mam not sure but a I think after a couple of security patches are
    loaded the SP2 does not uninstall cleanly.

    Sorry..

    "TraceySB" wrote:

    > I recently installed a VIA USB2/ieee1394 combo card. When I originally
    > installed it, it worked fine recognising the camcorder (Sony DCR TRV22e).
    > However when I next used it a couple of weeks later it would not recognise
    > the device. There is no tell-tail ping. Device manager shows both the USB2
    > controller and the IEEE1394 controller both are working fine. The USB2 side
    > of the card is fine, recognising the USB output from the camcorder. the
    > camcorder is aware that the DVin is connected. I have tried 2 different brand
    > new cables.
    > I first noticed the problem after installing SP2. However I have restored
    > back to prior to the SP2 installation and it still didn't work. I have
    > uninstalled and reinstalled the IEEE1394 controller, attempted to update
    > drivers, but they are generic and XP can't find better drivers. There do not
    > appear to be any drivers on the Via website. Does anyone know how to get the
    > IEEE1394 working? is it something to do with registry? Any help would be
    > gratefully received.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Hey All,

    The problem doesn't have anything to do with pins or cables. It's all
    related to SP2 and Sony Devices that have the i-link protocol (notice how
    everyone is having trouble with Sony Devices?). It worked correctly under
    service pack 1, but Microsoft changed something under SP2 and now it doesn't
    work as it should. They are already aware of the problem and are suppossed to
    be working on a hotfix to address it.

    I have a Sony DSR-40 DVCam deck with Firewire. My Canopus DVStorm2Pro
    cardset will control other Firewire devices all day long flawlessly. But not
    the Sony DSR-40. When I plug it in it searches for "A/V Tuner" (firewire
    drivers), never finds them and hangs.

    I've seen posts on other websites about this same problem with other Sony
    Camocorders/decks and some people have been able to resolve it by copying
    certain files from an XP SP 1 disc. However, none of that worked for me.
    However, EVERYONE says that the problem only appeared when they updates to
    SP2.

    It's not cables. It's Microsoft.

    Thanks,
    Jeff Schaap

    "entrpz" wrote:

    > Tracy
    >
    > Had had the same problem.
    >
    > I had to reinstall the OS from scratch for my Camera to work.
    > Un-installing SP2 did not work at all.
    >
    > The alonely time the SP2 uninstall work was after a fresh install.
    > I mam not sure but a I think after a couple of security patches are
    > loaded the SP2 does not uninstall cleanly.
    >
    > Sorry..
    >
    > "TraceySB" wrote:
    >
    > > I recently installed a VIA USB2/ieee1394 combo card. When I originally
    > > installed it, it worked fine recognising the camcorder (Sony DCR TRV22e).
    > > However when I next used it a couple of weeks later it would not recognise
    > > the device. There is no tell-tail ping. Device manager shows both the USB2
    > > controller and the IEEE1394 controller both are working fine. The USB2 side
    > > of the card is fine, recognising the USB output from the camcorder. the
    > > camcorder is aware that the DVin is connected. I have tried 2 different brand
    > > new cables.
    > > I first noticed the problem after installing SP2. However I have restored
    > > back to prior to the SP2 installation and it still didn't work. I have
    > > uninstalled and reinstalled the IEEE1394 controller, attempted to update
    > > drivers, but they are generic and XP can't find better drivers. There do not
    > > appear to be any drivers on the Via website. Does anyone know how to get the
    > > IEEE1394 working? is it something to do with registry? Any help would be
    > > gratefully received.

Windows XP