How do I find the files from my XP account?

Here's the story: My old XP computer dies. The hard drive is ok, and I
have the files transferred to the new drive. The tech asks me if I'd
like him to install the old drive in the new machine so I can retrieve
any other files he may have missed. Once I'm done doing that I can
format the drive and continue to use it as additional storage. So far,
so good.

One exception: My account is completely empty! I run data recovery
software on the old drive which only finds deleted files, etc. Every
other account from the old drive contains all the files, etc. that were
there originally. One suggestion was that since my account was the only
one password protected the files may be encrypted and just not visible.
I was told to switch the master-slave relationship of the drives and
boot from the old one since it still contains the OS. I can access my
acccount the usual way, copy the files over and I'm done.

My latest dilemma is the computer will not boot using the old drive.
Every time I try I end up at the screen explaining Windows did not
load. I've tried all options available on the screen to no avail. Any
suggestions for this novice?

"cwbwade" <cwbwade@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Here's the story: My old XP computer dies. The hard drive is ok, and I
> have the files transferred to the new drive. The tech asks me if I'd
> like him to install the old drive in the new machine so I can retrieve
> any other files he may have missed. Once I'm done doing that I can
> format the drive and continue to use it as additional storage. So far,
> so good.
>
> One exception: My account is completely empty! I run data recovery
> software on the old drive which only finds deleted files, etc. Every
> other account from the old drive contains all the files, etc. that were
> there originally. One suggestion was that since my account was the only
> one password protected the files may be encrypted and just not visible.
> I was told to switch the master-slave relationship of the drives and
> boot from the old one since it still contains the OS. I can access my
> acccount the usual way, copy the files over and I'm done.

> My latest dilemma is the computer will not boot using the old drive.
> Every time I try I end up at the screen explaining Windows did not
> load. I've tried all options available on the screen to no avail. Any
> suggestions for this novice?

If you want to boot the old drive in the new PC, you'll need to repair
the XP installation on the old drive. That basically involves replacing
the drivers with the ones appropriate to the new PC motherboard.

Just boot the XP CD, act as if you are going to install XP on
the old drive. The install will find the original install on the old
hard drive and ask if you want to repair that. Allow that, and
you should be able to boot it in the new PC once its done.