Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Win SP2 conflict with Pen Drive

Tags:
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
June 4, 2005 9:18:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

A few months ago I had a problem using my Pen Drive USB 2.0 128MB
(Flash drive, Legend.). To accessing the files I've to plug it into
the USB port click on the A: drive then I click on the icon key and the
following message pop up: 'Please insert the device or Please run
this utility as privileged user.' I am using the Administrator
account and there's no other account is setting up and the Device is
Inserted. Its doesn't happened before I've installed Win SP2. At
the time I contact their support service and they didn't gave much
help. So what I did was to remove windows service pack 2 and my Pen
Drive running fine.

Now I have no choice but to install service pack 2 again, and I still
get the same error with the following above message. What's the
problem?

Does anybody came across this problem before?

Please if you know anything about this help me out I appreciated for
all your help and advice. Thank you.


Caddy

More about : win sp2 conflict pen drive

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 5, 2005 3:36:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Caddy" <junmakara@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:1117930724.239034.68380@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> A few months ago I had a problem using my Pen Drive USB 2.0 128MB
> (Flash drive, Legend.). To accessing the files I've to plug it into
> the USB port click on the A: drive then I click on the icon key and the
> following message pop up: 'Please insert the device or Please run
> this utility as privileged user.' I am using the Administrator
> account and there's no other account is setting up and the Device is
> Inserted. Its doesn't happened before I've installed Win SP2. At
> the time I contact their support service and they didn't gave much
> help. So what I did was to remove windows service pack 2 and my Pen
> Drive running fine.

Have you tried changing the drive letter to something higher (eg G: or H:
perhaps) at least higher than your current highest drive/partion. Don't go
as high as W, X, Y, Z as they are normmally used for mapped network drives.

How to..
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&sd=tech
June 15, 2005 8:18:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Thank you Cwatters for you respond. Sorry but i'm not to sure on how to
do it. I don't have a Floppy Drive on my PC but i do have a Removable
Storage Device which is F, G, H, and I
which Drive letter should i change?

Please tell me what should i do?

Thanks!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 15, 2005 8:28:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Caddy" <junmakara@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:1118834304.097039.33170@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Thank you Cwatters for you respond. Sorry but i'm not to sure on how to
> do it. I don't have a Floppy Drive on my PC but i do have a Removable
> Storage Device which is F, G, H, and I
> which Drive letter should i change?

Sorry for the delay in replying...

When you plug the USB drive in does the drive appear on "My Computer" as
Drive A:? (or did I missunderstand?)

Does the USB drive appear as drives F,G,H and I or is that another removable
device(s)?

If the USB pen drive appears as drive A: try changing it to something unused
like M:

For instructions see..

"How to assign a drive letter" or "How to change a drive letter" on this
page...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&sd=tech
June 29, 2005 9:01:46 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hey there Cwatters, Sorry for delay in replying...cause I had been very
busy with some school work.

Anyway, When i plug the USB in, the Drive does appear on "My Computer"
as Drive (A)
I go to "Computer Management" trying to change/assign drive letter but
it doesn't show up Drive A: click on the link to see what i mean...
http://img143.echo.cx/img143/751/computermanagement1ge....

Thanks again

Caddy
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 30, 2005 12:40:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Caddy" <junmakara@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:1120046506.509777.52810@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hey there Cwatters, Sorry for delay in replying...cause I had been very
> busy with some school work.
>
> Anyway, When i plug the USB in, the Drive does appear on "My Computer"
> as Drive (A)
> I go to "Computer Management" trying to change/assign drive letter but
> it doesn't show up Drive A: click on the link to see what i mean...
> http://img143.echo.cx/img143/751/computermanagement1ge....
>
> Thanks again

I'm at a loss to know what to suggest really. Is there a 3.5" floppy drive
installed in your PC? Does that appear as drive A: when the pen drive is
disconnected? If you don't have a floppy drive then perhaps fitting one
would force the pen drive to another drive letter?
July 1, 2005 5:22:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

No. There're no 3.5 Floppy drive installed. and it doesn't show any
Drive A: on the "My Computer" either. its Only show up the 3.5 floppy
(drive A:)  when I plug my Pen Drive into the USB port. If i unplug it
the Pen Drive, the 3.5 floppy (drive A:)  will disappear.

Any other ideas...?
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 2, 2005 9:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Caddy" <junmakara@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
news:1120249376.787727.62410@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> No. There're no 3.5 Floppy drive installed. and it doesn't show any
> Drive A: on the "My Computer" either. its Only show up the 3.5 floppy
> (drive A:)  when I plug my Pen Drive into the USB port. If i unplug it
> the Pen Drive, the 3.5 floppy (drive A:)  will disappear.
>
> Any other ideas...?

Sorry no. The only thing I can think of trying is to actually fit a floppy
drive so that it takes the A: slot then try connecting the pen drive. Might
work and Floppy drives are quite cheap. Think I got one for <$10 once.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 2, 2005 10:08:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message
news:TsAxe.135727$Fh1.7183493@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
>
> Sorry no. The only thing I can think of trying is to actually fit a floppy
> drive so that it takes the A: slot then try connecting the pen drive. Might
> work and Floppy drives are quite cheap. Think I got one for <$10 once.
>
You don't need a real drive. Just enable it in the BIOS and DOS and Win 2K/XP allocate A. Most
likely, the pen drive moves to B.

I would check the pen drive CD for software to configure or format.
!