Win SP2 conflict with Pen Drive

A few months ago I had a problem using my Pen Drive USB 2.0 128MB
(Flash drive, Legend.). To accessing the files I've to plug it into
the USB port click on the A: drive then I click on the icon key and the
following message pop up: 'Please insert the device or Please run
this utility as privileged user.' I am using the Administrator
account and there's no other account is setting up and the Device is
Inserted. Its doesn't happened before I've installed Win SP2. At
the time I contact their support service and they didn't gave much
help. So what I did was to remove windows service pack 2 and my Pen
Drive running fine.

Now I have no choice but to install service pack 2 again, and I still
get the same error with the following above message. What's the
problem?

Does anybody came across this problem before?

Please if you know anything about this help me out I appreciated for
all your help and advice. Thank you.

Caddy
8 answers Last reply
More about conflict drive

    "Caddy" <junmakara@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > A few months ago I had a problem using my Pen Drive USB 2.0 128MB
    > (Flash drive, Legend.). To accessing the files I've to plug it into
    > the USB port click on the A: drive then I click on the icon key and the
    > following message pop up: 'Please insert the device or Please run
    > this utility as privileged user.' I am using the Administrator
    > account and there's no other account is setting up and the Device is
    > Inserted. Its doesn't happened before I've installed Win SP2. At
    > the time I contact their support service and they didn't gave much
    > help. So what I did was to remove windows service pack 2 and my Pen
    > Drive running fine.

    Have you tried changing the drive letter to something higher (eg G: or H:
    perhaps) at least higher than your current highest drive/partion. Don't go
    as high as W, X, Y, Z as they are normmally used for mapped network drives.

    How to..
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&sd=tech

    Thank you Cwatters for you respond. Sorry but i'm not to sure on how to
    do it. I don't have a Floppy Drive on my PC but i do have a Removable
    Storage Device which is F, G, H, and I
    which Drive letter should i change?

    Please tell me what should i do?

    Thanks!

    > Thank you Cwatters for you respond. Sorry but i'm not to sure on how to
    > do it. I don't have a Floppy Drive on my PC but i do have a Removable
    > Storage Device which is F, G, H, and I
    > which Drive letter should i change?

    Sorry for the delay in replying...

    When you plug the USB drive in does the drive appear on "My Computer" as
    Drive A:? (or did I missunderstand?)

    Does the USB drive appear as drives F,G,H and I or is that another removable
    device(s)?

    If the USB pen drive appears as drive A: try changing it to something unused
    like M:

    For instructions see..

    "How to assign a drive letter" or "How to change a drive letter" on this
    page...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307844&sd=tech

    Hey there Cwatters, Sorry for delay in replying...cause I had been very
    busy with some school work.

    Anyway, When i plug the USB in, the Drive does appear on "My Computer"
    as Drive (A)
    I go to "Computer Management" trying to change/assign drive letter but
    it doesn't show up Drive A: click on the link to see what i mean...
    http://img143.echo.cx/img143/751/computermanagement1ge.png

    Thanks again

    Caddy

    > Hey there Cwatters, Sorry for delay in replying...cause I had been very
    > busy with some school work.
    >
    > Anyway, When i plug the USB in, the Drive does appear on "My Computer"
    > as Drive (A)
    > I go to "Computer Management" trying to change/assign drive letter but
    > it doesn't show up Drive A: click on the link to see what i mean...
    > http://img143.echo.cx/img143/751/computermanagement1ge.png
    >
    > Thanks again

    I'm at a loss to know what to suggest really. Is there a 3.5" floppy drive
    installed in your PC? Does that appear as drive A: when the pen drive is
    disconnected? If you don't have a floppy drive then perhaps fitting one
    would force the pen drive to another drive letter?

    No. There're no 3.5 Floppy drive installed. and it doesn't show any
    Drive A: on the "My Computer" either. its Only show up the 3.5 floppy
    (drive A:) when I plug my Pen Drive into the USB port. If i unplug it
    the Pen Drive, the 3.5 floppy (drive A:) will disappear.

    Any other ideas...?

    > No. There're no 3.5 Floppy drive installed. and it doesn't show any
    > Drive A: on the "My Computer" either. its Only show up the 3.5 floppy
    > (drive A:) when I plug my Pen Drive into the USB port. If i unplug it
    > the Pen Drive, the 3.5 floppy (drive A:) will disappear.
    >
    > Any other ideas...?

    Sorry no. The only thing I can think of trying is to actually fit a floppy
    drive so that it takes the A: slot then try connecting the pen drive. Might
    work and Floppy drives are quite cheap. Think I got one for <$10 once.

    > Sorry no. The only thing I can think of trying is to actually fit a floppy
    > drive so that it takes the A: slot then try connecting the pen drive. Might
    > work and Floppy drives are quite cheap. Think I got one for <$10 once.

    You don't need a real drive. Just enable it in the BIOS and DOS and Win 2K/XP allocate A. Most
    likely, the pen drive moves to B.

    I would check the pen drive CD for software to configure or format.

Storage