Andy

Seems I must have been bad or something as I can't play any more...

HL2DM (via steam) gives me this error:

<Engine Error>
<Failed to lock vertex buffer in cmeshdx8::lock vertex buffer>

HL2 just crashes back to desktop with no error message or anything

If I choose plain ole HL I get

<Fatal Error>
<Unable to allocate 40.00mb>

Same with Condition Zero

I'm getting extreme withdrawal symptoms and with a bash coming up this
is not good at all!!

My system has happily run all aspects of steam/hl before but now just
won't.
The only thing that has physically changed is a reduction in memory from
1gig down to 512... but I'm not too sure that is the cause...

Has anyone experienced this or know of a cure..google hasn't provided
much help so I throw it to the gurus of aghl...don't let me down chaps
(and chapesses of course!!)

Cheers
Andy

aka rat

"Andy" <thisisavalidemailaddress@hereiam.cjb.net> wrote in message
> Seems I must have been bad or something as I can't play any more...
>
> HL2DM (via steam) gives me this error:
>
> <Engine Error>
> <Failed to lock vertex buffer in cmeshdx8::lock vertex buffer>
>
> HL2 just crashes back to desktop with no error message or anything
>
> If I choose plain ole HL I get
>
> <Fatal Error>
> <Unable to allocate 40.00mb>
>
> Same with Condition Zero
>

> I'm getting extreme withdrawal symptoms and with a bash coming up this is
> not good at all!!
>
> My system has happily run all aspects of steam/hl before but now just
> won't.
> The only thing that has physically changed is a reduction in memory from
> 1gig down to 512... but I'm not too sure that is the cause...
>
> Has anyone experienced this or know of a cure..google hasn't provided much
> help so I throw it to the gurus of aghl...don't let me down chaps (and
> chapesses of course!!)
>
> Cheers
> Andy
>
> aka rat

Check your game cache files. Go here, read the instructions carefully:
http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=282

or try this shorter link:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L25122C1B

"Andy" <thisisavalidemailaddress@hereiam.cjb.net> wrote in message
> Seems I must have been bad or something as I can't play any more...
>
> HL2DM (via steam) gives me this error:
>
> <Engine Error>
> <Failed to lock vertex buffer in cmeshdx8::lock vertex buffer>
>
> HL2 just crashes back to desktop with no error message or anything
>
> If I choose plain ole HL I get
>
> <Fatal Error>
> <Unable to allocate 40.00mb>
>
> Same with Condition Zero