I can't delete or move video files..

Anyone else have this problem? When I try to delete or move a video file,
windows tells me the file is in use by another devide.

TIA for any suggestions

Red

Probably an AVI file, right?

It's a bug in Windows explorer. Been there since XP was released.
(Possibly even longer, back to WinME.)

Basically it's because Windows is trying to 'helpfully' show preview info
and details, and in the process that locks the file until it finally gets
done with it several minutes later.

The bug is really quite infamous.

Microsoft has no urge to fix it. They seem to have a policy against
actually fixing bugs unless it's security related or crashes the system.

Do a google search for things like 'avi delete fix' and 'undeletable avi'
etc.

There are a couple of registry hacks that can solve the problem. And
there's at least one program that can apply one of those changes for you.

"My name is Kid" <nobodys@home.net> wrote in message
> Anyone else have this problem? When I try to delete or move a video file,
> windows tells me the file is in use by another devide.
>
> TIA for any suggestions
>

> Red

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

You can delete or move it from task manager, if you like or don't find a
fix. (You can use Nero as well if you have it)
Just end explorer process with right click & go to file new task (run) &
look for your file and do whatever. Open explorer again later; it's
somewhere in the Windows folder.