Fujitsu HDD gone from BIOS?

I've been "lent" a Fuj MPG3409AT to sort out. I can hear it spinning
with normal sounding clicks but it refuses to appear in the BIOS or at
any later stage. Tried it as a slave, master, master with slave present
etc etc, tried manual CHS settings.
Is there a utililty that will try to access a drive even when the BIOS
does not see it?
Is it worth trying a POST card?
If I link it to any other IDE drive the PC hangs at BIOS altogether. PC
starts OK from it's normal SCSI boot drive if the Fuj is the only IDE
drive......uumm

BJ

<fastrack1966@clara.co.uk> wrote in message

> I've been "lent" a Fuj MPG3409AT to sort out.

Urk, the Fujitsu MPGs are utterly notorious for dying like flys.

Its even produced a class action suit, with
Fujitsu blaming it on the supplier of the IC that frys.

> I can hear it spinning with normal sounding clicks but
> it refuses to appear in the BIOS or at any later stage.
> Tried it as a slave, master, master with slave present
> etc etc, tried manual CHS settings.

She's dead Jim, you into necrophilia ?

> Is there a utililty that will try to access a
> drive even when the BIOS does not see it?

Try, yes, but not succeed. Bet the Fujitsu diag wont see it either.

> Is it worth trying a POST card?

Nope, POST cards are for diagnosing motherboard problems.

You may be able to find a working logic card to swap onto
that drive to get the data off, but they have died at such a
hell of rate that working logic cards are very rare indeed now.

> If I link it to any other IDE drive the PC hangs at BIOS altogether.

It might eventually boot from the other drive if you wait
long enough. Some bios can take an amazingly long time
to poll for drives at boot time when one of them is dead.

It might be slugging the cable so badly that it will never happen too.

> PC starts OK from it's normal SCSI boot drive
> if the Fuj is the only IDE drive......uumm

Just another quirk of a dead drive in that system.