How to create internet server but not dedicated?

Can i create a server but within the game and not dedicated? it seems to
only be for lan when i use the create option within the game, how do I
make it internet? The problem is the only way others can join is if I
run dedicated server, but I want to be able to do it from within the
game, like in CS 1.6 u could select internet or lan within the game.
4 answers Last reply
More about create internet server dedicated

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:38:59 -0400, Orta Chesse <o.chesse@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Can i create a server but within the game and not dedicated? it seems to
    >only be for lan when i use the create option within the game, how do I
    >make it internet? The problem is the only way others can join is if I
    >run dedicated server, but I want to be able to do it from within the
    >game, like in CS 1.6 u could select internet or lan within the game.

    start the listen server as usual, open the console & type sv_lan 0

    dr ratt
    gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
    lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
    gary: you know i can't promise that.
    lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
    gary: i promise. i will never die.

    dr ratt wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:38:59 -0400, Orta Chesse <o.chesse@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Can i create a server but within the game and not dedicated? it seems to
    >>only be for lan when i use the create option within the game, how do I
    >>make it internet? The problem is the only way others can join is if I
    >>run dedicated server, but I want to be able to do it from within the
    >>game, like in CS 1.6 u could select internet or lan within the game.
    >

    > start the listen server as usual, open the console & type sv_lan 0
    >
    > dr ratt
    > gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
    > lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
    > gary: you know i can't promise that.
    > lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
    > gary: i promise. i will never die.
    I tried what you suggested but my friend still could not connect :(

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:50:20 -0400, Orta Chesse <o.chesse@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I tried what you suggested but my friend still could not connect :(

    it should work, my install defaulted to sv_lan 0. perhaps you are
    using a firewall and need to give the game permission to act as a
    server. or maybe you connect via a router and have ports forwarding to
    the pc the dedicated server is on.

    "dr ratt" <spamsum1else@zen.co.uk> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 00:38:59 -0400, Orta Chesse <o.chesse@gmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Can i create a server but within the game and not dedicated? it
    >> seems to only be for lan when i use the create option within the
    >> game, how do I make it internet? The problem is the only way others
    >> can join is if I run dedicated server, but I want to be able to do
    >> it from within the game, like in CS 1.6 u could select internet or
    >> lan within the game.
    >
    > start the listen server as usual, open the console & type sv_lan 0
    >
    > dr ratt
    > gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
    > lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
    > gary: you know i can't promise that.
    > lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
    > gary: i promise. i will never die.

    yep, that worked for me, got the message it had connected to the Steam
    servers. Nobody dropped in tho...
    mcG.

Games Internet Servers Video Games