Want: External removable [DOCK] Hard Drive

Dave_S

On my win98SE PC I have an internal Mobile Dock that allows me to
insert from front bay any size 3.5 inch IDE hard drive into this Dock.

I am looking for, with no success, an external hard drive enclosure that
will allow me to change hard drives like the internal Dock allows.
Need vendors who supply this.
Thank you, Dave_s

Dave_s <group78@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

> On my win98SE PC I have an internal Mobile Dock that allows me to insert from
> front bay any size 3.5 inch IDE hard drive into this Dock.

> I am looking for, with no success, an external hard drive enclosure that will
> allow me to change hard drives like the internal Dock allows. Need vendors who
> supply this.

It can be done with one of the external 5.25" external
enclosures with an internal removable drive bay kit.

Obviously it can be a bit tricking ensuring that there is
enough space mechanically, but it will work electrically.

Dave_s wrote:
> On my win98SE PC I have an internal Mobile Dock that allows me to
> insert from front bay any size 3.5 inch IDE hard drive into this Dock.
>
> I am looking for, with no success, an external hard drive enclosure that
> will allow me to change hard drives like the internal Dock allows.
> Need vendors who supply this.
> Thank you, Dave_s

Addonics has something that will handle almost anything you
want it to do.
http://www.addonics.com/products/Saturn/saturn_solution.asp
I haven't used it so I can't give any recommendations one
way or another but it looks cool.

I had a bunch of CRU Dataports which I put into one of the bays
of a two bay 5 1/2" external scsi enclusure. I replaced the
scsi connector with a firewire bridge board designed to fit
onto where the scsi connector was. The advantages were; I
already had the case, it has a built in power supply (no external
power brick), good cooling - a 8cm fan though the dataports have
their own not super adequate cooling, and enough depth to fit the
dataport receiving frame which is quite long.

Firewire or USB bridgeboards don't seem to be all that cheap. If you
can go with an external SATA solution I would recommend that as
SATA/ATA bridgeboards seem to be cheaper.

You can try these places for bridgeboards, connector adapters,
or external removeable dock solutions.

http://www.fwdepot.com/thestore/default.php
http://www.granitedigital.com/
http://www.cooldrives.com/index.html

I've only dealt with the first one in the list so I'm not recommending
one over the others and they may not have the cheapest prices but they
have a good selection in one place to check out at least.

And you could probably get an external scsi enclosure on eBay quite
cheap if you wanted to.

--
Joe Seigh

When you get lemons, you make lemonade.