Disk Cloning / Imaging

Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
Windows but I have a question before hand

If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
size/brand hard disk. Is
that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
not sure if itll help me.

I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
Thanks in advance,
Dan
33 answers Last reply
More about disk cloning imaging

    > If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
    > image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
    > size/brand hard disk. Is
    > that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

    Why would you want to restore an image from the "old" computer
    to a "new" one?
    Do you realize that most likely new PC will require different setup
    (drivers, etc.)? Fresh install is highly recommended.

    If you want to transfer your data, the most convenient way is to use
    a network between "old" and "new" machine (after a "new" one has
    been setup).

    Thanks a lot for all the comments. I decided to do a fresh install of
    everyhitng in the new computer, just to play in on the safe side.

    Again, thanks for the help and opinions,

    Cheers,
    Dan

    On 10 Jun 2005 07:58:55 -0700, "Dan" <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
    >Windows but I have a question before hand
    >
    >If I clone a hard disk into some DVD=B4s and the I want to restore that
    >image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
    >size/brand hard disk. Is
    >that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?
    >
    >Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
    >not sure if itll help me.

    First you need to understand the difference between a "disk image" and
    a "disk clone".

    You might want to look at Western Digital's Data Lifeguard utility. I
    only use WD drives so I do not know if it will work with other makers.
    It has a disk clone capability.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
    will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education
    will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and
    determination alone are omnipotent."
    --Calvin Coolidge

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:48:31 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >Why would you want to restore an image from the "old" computer
    >to a "new" one?

    >Do you realize that most likely new PC will require different setup
    >(drivers, etc.)? Fresh install is highly recommended.

    >If you want to transfer your data, the most convenient way is to use
    >a network between "old" and "new" machine (after a "new" one has
    >been setup).

    You apparently do not know about Window's "In-Place Upgrade" (aka
    "IPU).

    I used it to go from NT4 to Win2K and then again to put my "old" Win2K
    onto a new machine. I have also used it to recover a corrupted disk.
    It upgrades the Registry and Profiles plus rebuilds the Windows system
    files.

    First you clone the "old" hard disk onto the "new" hard disk. Then you
    run the Windows install CD and use the IPU feature. It is recommended
    that you visit the Microsoft Knowledge Base to learn how to do that.

    It is my understanding that XP has an even better strategy. You
    install XP on a "new" HD and then run a utility that copies the "old"
    profiles and settings onto the "new" disk.

    Win2K Control Panel > System > Advanced has a Profile Exporter that I
    have used. But it does not upgrade the Registry which means you have
    to reinstall all your applications. That's a real bummer.

    You do not want to "xcopy" the apps because that does not upgrade the
    Registry.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
    will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education
    will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and
    determination alone are omnipotent."
    --Calvin Coolidge

    > You apparently do not know about Window's "In-Place Upgrade" (aka
    > "IPU).

    Why do you think that?
    To me a fresh install is almost always better than repaired install.
    BTW Microsoft does not list new PC as the reason to use this
    method.

    "Choose a clean installation if:
    .. No operating system is installed on the destination computer.
    .. The installed operating system cannot be upgraded to Windows
    XP Professional or Windows Server 2003.
    .. The computer has a multiple-boot configuration that needs to
    support the current operating system and either Windows XP
    Professional or Windows Server 2003.
    .. You are planning on implementing a managed environment
    through Group Policy, the Active Directory® directory service,
    or other means, but you have not yet implemented a managed
    environment. In this case, clean installations are desirable
    because they ensure that you have a standard configuration on
    which to implement your managed environment.
    .. You want to reset the desktop or server configuration in your
    organization to a consistent, known standard.
    .. You are purchasing new hardware or software as part of your
    deployment.

    Choose to upgrade if:
    .. You already have a Windows operating system that is suitable
    for upgrading, and your IT department centrally manages the
    computers in your organization.
    .. You want to use existing hardware and software, and you do
    not want to reconfigure user settings, operating system settings,
    or application settings.
    .. You need to retain hardware or software settings for
    compatibility reasons."

    Please post in plain text.

    If your goal is to restore a bunch of your files then most everything you
    describe is possible using Acronis TrueImage, Ghost or even Xcopy /e/h .
    However if your goal is to "clone" a running/bootable/operational Windows
    install then things are much more difficult.

    With some playing around it'll usually work with 98[SE] and ME but not with
    W2K, NT4, XP nor W2K3. The exception to that is that if your goal is to
    restore the DVD/image to a different(bigger) HD(but same connection type
    like ATA vs. SCSI) on the same PC then that will work with TrueImage and
    Ghost on all 98[SE], ME, W2K, XP, W2K3.

    Otherwise a clean install of NT4, W2K, XP or W2K3 is the best way to go
    followed by files copies and/or some settings transfers wizards etc.

    "Dan" <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message
    Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
    Windows but I have a question before hand

    If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
    image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
    size/brand hard disk. Is
    that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?

    Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
    not sure if itll help me.

    I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan

    Dan <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard
    > disks in Windows but I have a question before hand

    > If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to
    > restore that image into another hard disk on a new computer,
    > a new, different size/brand hard disk. Is that possible?

    Yes.

    It usually works pretty well with the Win9x family and ME.

    It can get more tricky with the NT/2K/XP family, you can
    find that the clone wont boot and that you need to repair
    the installation. That requires the distribution CD for the OS.

    > Is there a "correct" way to do it?

    Not really. There are a variety of ways of doing that, ranging
    from the sort of cloning you are asking about, to doing a clean
    install of the OS and apps instead, thru to that plus the use of
    the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with XP to move the
    files and settings to the new installation.

    > Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or
    > Acronis True Image, but Im not sure if itll help me.

    Yes, they will both do that job. I prefer True Image currently.

    > I hope your answers help me to
    > decide weather to buy the software.

    You dont say why you want to clone like that.

    Bob <spam@spamcop.com> wrote in message
    > Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote

    >> Why would you want to restore an image
    >> from the "old" computer to a "new" one?

    >> Do you realize that most likely new PC will require different
    >> setup (drivers, etc.)? Fresh install is highly recommended.

    >> If you want to transfer your data, the most convenient
    >> way is to use a network between "old" and "new"
    >> machine (after a "new" one has been setup).

    > You apparently do not know about Window's
    > "In-Place Upgrade" (aka "IPU).

    He appears to consider that a clean install is a better approach.

    > I used it to go from NT4 to Win2K and then again to put my
    > "old" Win2K onto a new machine. I have also used it to recover
    > a corrupted disk. It upgrades the Registry and Profiles

    No it doesnt.

    > plus rebuilds the Windows system files.

    It basically installs the drivers that are appropriate for the new system.

    > First you clone the "old" hard disk onto the "new" hard disk. Then you
    > run the Windows install CD and use the IPU feature. It is recommended
    > that you visit the Microsoft Knowledge Base to learn how to do that.

    > It is my understanding that XP has an even better strategy.

    Nope, thats still used when say changing the motherboard with XP.

    > You install XP on a "new" HD and then run a utility that
    > copies the "old" profiles and settings onto the "new" disk.

    Yes, you can do that too.

    > Win2K Control Panel > System > Advanced has a Profile Exporter
    > that I have used. But it does not upgrade the Registry which means
    > you have to reinstall all your applications. That's a real bummer.

    You have to install the apps again with XP too. The Files and
    Settings Transfer Wizard JUST transfers the files and settings
    from the old install to the new one, it doesnt transfer the apps.

    > You do not want to "xcopy" the apps
    > because that does not upgrade the Registry.

    And most of the settings are in the registry anyway with modern OSs.

    Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > Please post in plain text.

    He did

    The problem is with

    OE doest quote that properly.

    > If your goal is to restore a bunch of your files then most everything you
    > describe is possible using Acronis TrueImage, Ghost or even Xcopy /e/h .
    > However if your goal is to "clone" a running/bootable/operational Windows
    > install then things are much more difficult.

    > With some playing around it'll usually work with 98[SE] and ME

    It'll usually work with out any playing around with those.

    > but not with W2K, NT4, XP nor W2K3.

    Wrong, you've just got to repair the install with those.

    > The exception to that is that if your goal is to restore the
    > DVD/image to a different(bigger) HD(but same connection
    > type like ATA vs. SCSI) on the same PC then that will work
    > with TrueImage and Ghost on all 98[SE], ME, W2K, XP, W2K3.

    Only if you're careful about what the OS can see on
    the first boot after clone is done with W2K, XP, W2K3.

    > Otherwise a clean install of NT4, W2K, XP or W2K3 is the best way to
    > go followed by files copies and/or some settings transfers wizards etc.

    Not necessarily, cloning and repair usually works fine.

    > Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > Please post in plain text.
    >
    > He did

    > The problem is with

    > OE doest quote that properly.
    >
    > > If your goal is to restore a bunch of your files then most everything
    you
    > > describe is possible using Acronis TrueImage, Ghost or even Xcopy /e/h
    ..
    > > However if your goal is to "clone" a running/bootable/operational
    Windows
    > > install then things are much more difficult.
    >
    > > With some playing around it'll usually work with 98[SE] and ME
    >
    > It'll usually work with out any playing around with those.
    >
    > > but not with W2K, NT4, XP nor W2K3.
    >
    > Wrong, you've just got to repair the install with those.

    Niope, not reliably while saving all the existing installs.

    > > The exception to that is that if your goal is to restore the
    > > DVD/image to a different(bigger) HD(but same connection
    > > type like ATA vs. SCSI) on the same PC then that will work
    > > with TrueImage and Ghost on all 98[SE], ME, W2K, XP, W2K3.
    >
    > Only if you're careful about what the OS can see on
    > the first boot after clone is done with W2K, XP, W2K3.
    >
    > > Otherwise a clean install of NT4, W2K, XP or W2K3 is the best way to
    > > go followed by files copies and/or some settings transfers wizards etc.
    >
    > Not necessarily, cloning and repair usually works fine.

    Not saving all the existing installs.

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote

    >>> If your goal is to restore a bunch of your files then
    >>> most everything you describe is possible using
    >>> Acronis TrueImage, Ghost or even Xcopy /e/h

    >>> However if your goal is to "clone" a running/bootable/operational
    >>> Windows install then things are much more difficult.

    >>> With some playing around it'll usually work with 98[SE] and ME

    >> It'll usually work with out any playing around with those.

    >>> but not with W2K, NT4, XP nor W2K3.

    >> Wrong, you've just got to repair the install with those.

    > Niope,

    Yep.

    > not reliably while saving all the existing installs.

    Wrong, very reliable.

    >>> The exception to that is that if your goal is to restore the
    >>> DVD/image to a different(bigger) HD(but same connection
    >>> type like ATA vs. SCSI) on the same PC then that will work
    >>> with TrueImage and Ghost on all 98[SE], ME, W2K, XP, W2K3.

    >> Only if you're careful about what the OS can see on
    >> the first boot after clone is done with W2K, XP, W2K3.

    >>> Otherwise a clean install of NT4, W2K, XP or W2K3 is the best way to
    >>> go followed by files copies and/or some settings transfers wizards etc.

    >> Not necessarily, cloning and repair usually works fine.

    > Not saving all the existing installs.

    Wrong. It doesnt touch those, it just redoes
    the drivers for the current hardware.

    > Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    > >> Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote

    > >> It'll usually work with out any playing around with those.

    > >> Wrong, you've just got to repair the install with those.
    >
    > > Niope,
    >
    > Yep.
    >
    > > not reliably while saving all the existing installs.
    >
    > Wrong, very reliable.

    > >> Only if you're careful about what the OS can see on
    > >> the first boot after clone is done with W2K, XP, W2K3.

    > >> Not necessarily, cloning and repair usually works fine.
    >
    > > Not saving all the existing installs.
    >
    > Wrong. It doesnt touch those, it just redoes
    > the drivers for the current hardware.

    Further research indicates that you are mostly right. I seem to have
    confused the fact that one DOES lose all the updates and SPs to XP itself
    but not the program installs and user files and settings.

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote
    >>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >>> Niope,

    >> Yep.

    >>> not reliably while saving all the existing installs.

    >> Wrong, very reliable.

    >>> Not saving all the existing installs.

    >> Wrong. It doesnt touch those, it just redoes
    >> the drivers for the current hardware.

    > Further research indicates that you are mostly right.

    Completely right, actually.

    > I seem to have confused the fact that one
    > DOES lose all the updates and SPs to XP itself

    Only if you dont use a slipstreamed CD when doing the repair.

    > but not the program installs and user files and settings.

    Correct.

    Its unclear to me whether you want to clone another hard drive on the same
    PC, or create an image file to DVD for future restoration to another hard
    drive on another PC. Or both.

    In regards to the latter, it can be done with Win98 OS installed with a
    multiboot XP as the environment for imaging. But, you have to prepare the
    98 OS by removing the drivers referenced in device manager/registry first
    for best results on new PC, then install the new drivers. In some cases,
    its best to uninstall printer, and video menu software first as well. No
    experience here with XP restoration to a new hardware PC. If possible, am
    sure you would have to get a new product key from MS. I would suggest a new
    install of XP on another PC platform. You can carry any remaining
    partitions, leaving blank space for the XP installation.

    Have heard of problems using multiple DVD media, when using the verify
    option, can't find the first DVD after burning all DVDs within Ghost 9.0 I
    would subdivide the image files to 1GB files, then burn in ISO 9660 format
    to DVD. The reason 2GB is not selected is the actual image file result will
    be slightly bigger than that. ISO 9660 allows no larger that 2GB file size.
    You need another hard drive to burn these to in this case since you're
    imaging the entire hard drive. You can't image to any partition, if that
    target partition is being imaged as well.

    Since I can't compare the products you mentioned, I can't make a suggestive
    reply to a selection for either. Best of luck.

    Lil' Dave <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message

    > Its unclear to me whether you want to clone another hard drive
    > on the same PC, or create an image file to DVD for future
    > restoration to another hard drive on another PC. Or both.

    > In regards to the latter, it can be done with Win98 OS installed with a
    > multiboot XP as the environment for imaging. But, you have to prepare
    > the 98 OS by removing the drivers referenced in device manager/registry
    > first for best results on new PC, then install the new drivers.

    No you dont, it normally works fine without doing that.

    > In some cases, its best to uninstall printer, and video menu software first
    > as well.

    Hardly ever necessary.

    > No experience here with XP restoration to a new hardware PC.

    You may well need to repair the install if the motherboard is different to
    the one that the original install was done on, but that normally works fine.

    > If possible, am sure you would have to get a new product key from MS.

    Nope, not necessarily.

    > I would suggest a new install of XP on another PC platform.

    Thats just one way and you'd need a new key going that route.

    > You can carry any remaining partitions,
    > leaving blank space for the XP installation.

    Its simpler to copy the lot and format the XP partition
    at install time if you do want to go the clean install route.

    > Have heard of problems using multiple DVD media, when using the verify
    > option, can't find the first DVD after burning all DVDs within Ghost 9.0 I
    > would subdivide the image files to 1GB files, then burn in ISO 9660 format
    > to DVD. The reason 2GB is not selected is the actual image file result will
    > be slightly bigger than that. ISO 9660 allows no larger that 2GB file size.

    Makes more sense to specify say 1.9G or
    whatever will allow 5 files to fit on a DVD.

    "Rod Speed" wrote:

    > Lil' Dave wrote:
    >> No experience here with XP restoration to a new hardware PC.
    >
    > You may well need to repair the install if the motherboard is different to
    > the one that the original install was done on, but that normally works fine.
    >
    >> If possible, am sure you would have to get a new product key from MS.
    >
    > Nope, not necessarily.
    >
    >> I would suggest a new install of XP on another PC platform.
    >
    > Thats just one way and you'd need a new key going that route.
    >
    >> You can carry any remaining partitions,
    >> leaving blank space for the XP installation.
    >
    > Its simpler to copy the lot and format the XP partition
    > at install time if you do want to go the clean install route.

    Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is
    to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?

    *TimDaniels*

    Top posted just for Ron,
    Believe you're under the impression I was talking about XP throughout my
    previous reply, I wasn't in many, but not all, of your hit and run replies
    to my reply. The OP's premise begins with saving from the OS environment, a
    requirement of the OP XP would be the OS in this case for saving the image
    of the entire hard drive and all its partitions. Including any other OS
    partition, not mentioned by the OP. Ghost 9.0 does not work in the 98OS
    environment.

    If you understood that, then you're mistaken about your replies in reference
    to the 98OS move to another PC. And, you're setting people up for unneeded
    problems who follow through on your notions.

    I won't reply on XP OS partition restoration, as I don't have enough image
    restoration experience to comment. From my chair, in the place of the OP, I
    would install XP from scratch on a new PC rather than attempt to use an
    image file restoration from another PC using Ghost 9.0

    No one challenged my 2GB image file size selection problem, nor the problem
    with multiple DVDs which is a different problem, so I assume its correct
    with Ghost 9.0 Nor did anyone challenge the need for a new MS XP product
    key if an image file restoration was used. So, will assume that is correct
    as well. And, more importantly, that the OP understands this before making
    the decision to select and utilize a product for backing up his hard drive
    to restore on another PC.

    > Lil' Dave <spamyourself@virus.net> wrote in message
    >
    > > Its unclear to me whether you want to clone another hard drive
    > > on the same PC, or create an image file to DVD for future
    > > restoration to another hard drive on another PC. Or both.
    >
    > > In regards to the latter, it can be done with Win98 OS installed with a
    > > multiboot XP as the environment for imaging. But, you have to prepare
    > > the 98 OS by removing the drivers referenced in device manager/registry
    > > first for best results on new PC, then install the new drivers.
    >
    > No you dont, it normally works fine without doing that.
    >
    > > In some cases, its best to uninstall printer, and video menu software
    first
    > > as well.
    >
    > Hardly ever necessary.
    >
    > > No experience here with XP restoration to a new hardware PC.
    >
    > You may well need to repair the install if the motherboard is different to
    > the one that the original install was done on, but that normally works
    fine.

    > > If possible, am sure you would have to get a new product key from MS.
    >
    > Nope, not necessarily.
    >
    > > I would suggest a new install of XP on another PC platform.
    >
    > Thats just one way and you'd need a new key going that route.
    >
    > > You can carry any remaining partitions,
    > > leaving blank space for the XP installation.
    >
    > Its simpler to copy the lot and format the XP partition
    > at install time if you do want to go the clean install route.
    >
    > > Have heard of problems using multiple DVD media, when using the verify
    > > option, can't find the first DVD after burning all DVDs within Ghost 9.0
    > > would subdivide the image files to 1GB files, then burn in ISO 9660
    format
    > > to DVD. The reason 2GB is not selected is the actual image file result
    will
    > > be slightly bigger than that. ISO 9660 allows no larger that 2GB file
    size.

    > Makes more sense to specify say 1.9G or
    > whatever will allow 5 files to fit on a DVD.
    >
    > > You need another hard drive to burn these to in this case
    > > since you're imaging the entire hard drive. You can't image
    > > to any partition, if that target partition is being imaged as well.
    >
    > > Since I can't compare the products you mentioned, I can't
    > > make a suggestive reply to a selection for either. Best of luck.
    >

    > > "Dan" <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
    > > Windows but I have a question before hand
    > >
    > > If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
    > > image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
    > > size/brand hard disk. Is
    > > that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?
    > >
    > > Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
    > > not sure if itll help me.
    > >
    > > I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Dan

  18. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Timothy Daniels" <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in

    > "Rod Speed" wrote:
    >>
    >> Lil' Dave wrote:
    >>> No experience here with XP restoration to a new hardware PC.
    >>
    >> You may well need to repair the install if the motherboard is
    >> different to the one that the original install was done on, but
    >> that normally works fine.
    >>
    >>> If possible, am sure you would have to get a new product key
    >>> from MS.
    >>
    >> Nope, not necessarily.
    >>
    >>> I would suggest a new install of XP on another PC platform.
    >>
    >> Thats just one way and you'd need a new key going that route.
    >>
    >>> You can carry any remaining partitions,
    >>> leaving blank space for the XP installation.
    >>
    >> Its simpler to copy the lot and format the XP partition
    >> at install time if you do want to go the clean install route.
    >

    > Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    > an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    > necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is
    > to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?

    Correct.

    That will (should :-) give you a working XP system that has the
    same patch level of the CD, so you'll probably need to 'roll
    forward' by applying the latest patches e.g. from WindowsUpdate.
  19. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    > an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    > necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is
    > to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?

    Once there was:
    "How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;nl;314070
    but not anymore. There must be a reason.
  20. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    spam@spamcop.com (Bob) wrote in

    >> Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    >>an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    >>necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is
    >>to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?
    >
    > It is my understanding that XP has a utility that allows you to
    > import your profile and settings from the old disk. That's a
    > different procedure from the In-Place Upgrade you are referring
    > to.

    ....but the in-place upgrade retains profiles and settings so this is
    irrelevant to the question.

    <further irrlevance snipped>
  21. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 15:16:41 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >> Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    >> an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    >> necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is
    >> to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?

    >Once there was:
    >"How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware"
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;nl;314070
    >but not anymore. There must be a reason.

    Maybe because there's this:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    Read the comments about different hardware.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
    --William Shakespeare; Henry VI, Act IV, Scene II
  22. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > >Once there was:
    > >"How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware"
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;nl;314070
    > >but not anymore. There must be a reason.
    >
    > Maybe because there's this:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
    >
    > Read the comments about different hardware.

    Is that what are you referring to:
    ". You must use the Windows Setup program to enumerate Plug and Play
    devices again, including the hardware abstraction layer (HAL)." ?

    Microsoft did not explicitly say that Q315341 can be applied to
    "move a Windows XP installation to different hardware" nor
    they referred to Q314070.

    I think they do not want to make an impression, that it is a Microsoft
    recommended method to achieve such a move.
  23. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote in
    message news:UrOdnYJoFpAsMjbfRVn-qw@comcast.com...
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Lil' Dave wrote:

    >>> No experience here with XP restoration to a new hardware PC.

    >> You may well need to repair the install if the motherboard is different to
    >> the one that the original install was done on, but that normally works fine.

    >>> If possible, am sure you would have to get a new product key from MS.

    >> Nope, not necessarily.

    >>> I would suggest a new install of XP on another PC platform.

    >> Thats just one way and you'd need a new key going that route.

    >>> You can carry any remaining partitions,
    >>> leaving blank space for the XP installation.

    >> Its simpler to copy the lot and format the XP partition
    >> at install time if you do want to go the clean install route.

    > Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    > an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    > necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is to do a repair
    > using the WinXP installation CD?

    Normally, yes.
  24. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Top posted just for Ron,

    I couldnt care less about where the posting is.

    > Believe you're under the impression I was
    > talking about XP throughout my previous reply,

    Wrong.

    > I wasn't in many, but not all, of your hit and run replies to my reply.

    Pathetic, really.

    > The OP's premise begins with saving from the OS environment,
    > a requirement of the OP XP would be the OS in this case for
    > saving the image of the entire hard drive and all its partitions.

    Want to try that again in english next time ?

    > Including any other OS partition, not mentioned by the OP.
    > Ghost 9.0 does not work in the 98OS environment.

    Irrelevant, the OP didnt even mention 9.0 and 9.0
    comes with 2003 if you do want to do it from 98 etc.

    > If you understood that, then you're mistaken about your
    > replies in reference to the 98OS move to another PC.

    Nope.

    > And, you're setting people up for unneeded
    > problems who follow through on your notions.

    Nope.

    > I won't reply on XP OS partition restoration, as I don't have enough image
    > restoration experience to comment. From my chair, in the place of the OP,
    > I would install XP from scratch on a new PC rather than attempt to use an
    > image file restoration from another PC using Ghost 9.0

    Your pig ignorance is your problem.

    > No one challenged my 2GB image file size selection problem,

    I chose to comment on your errors.

    > nor the problem with multiple DVDs which is a different
    > problem, so I assume its correct with Ghost 9.0

    Stupid assumption. And he didnt even mention 9.0

    > Nor did anyone challenge the need for a new MS
    > XP product key if an image file restoration was
    > used. So, will assume that is correct as well.

    Stupid assumption again. It basically depends on how
    different the hardware is between the system that the
    image was created on and the one its restored on.

    And you dont even know that he's even using
    a version of XP that requires validation anyway.

    > And, more importantly, that the OP understands this
    > before making the decision to select and utilize a product
    > for backing up his hard drive to restore on another PC.

    Completely irrelevant to your errors I chose to comment on.

> [...]
    >>
    >> > You need another hard drive to burn these to in this case
    >> > since you're imaging the entire hard drive. You can't image
    >> > to any partition, if that target partition is being imaged as well.
    >>
    >> > Since I can't compare the products you mentioned, I can't
    >> > make a suggestive reply to a selection for either. Best of luck.
    >>

    >> > "Dan" <gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, Im intrested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
    >> > Windows but I have a question before hand
    >> >
    >> > If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
    >> > image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
    >> > size/brand hard disk. Is
    >> > that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?
    >> >
    >> > Someone reccomendme either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
    >> > not sure if itll help me.
    >> >
    >> > I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.

  25. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    McSpreader <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote
    >>> Lil' Dave wrote

    >>> You may well need to repair the install if the motherboard
    >>> is different to the one that the original install was done on,
    >>> but that normally works fine.

    >>> Nope, not necessarily.

    >>> Thats just one way and you'd need a new key going that route.

    >>> Its simpler to copy the lot and format the XP partition
    >>> at install time if you do want to go the clean install route.

    >> Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    >> an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    >> necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new
    >> PC is to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?

    > Correct.

    > That will (should :-) give you a working XP system that has
    > the same patch level of the CD, so you'll probably need to 'roll
    > forward' by applying the latest patches e.g. from WindowsUpdate.

    Its generally better to slipstream the distribution
    CD before using it to repair the XP install.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3h3c6sFf426lU1
    @individual.net:

    > McSpreader <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Timothy Daniels <TDaniels@NoSpamDot.com> wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    >>> an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    >>> necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new
    >>> PC is to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?
    >
    >> Correct.
    >
    >> That will (should :-) give you a working XP system that has
    >> the same patch level of the CD, so you'll probably need to 'roll
    >> forward' by applying the latest patches e.g. from WindowsUpdate.
    >
    > Its generally better to slipstream the distribution
    > CD before using it to repair the XP install.

    Whatever you say Rod, now just troll off.
  27. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

    >> Does that mean that you can move a hard drive that contains
    >> an installed WinXP from one PC to another, and all that's
    >> necessary to make the installed WinXP work on the new PC is
    >> to do a repair using the WinXP installation CD?

    > Once there was:
    > "How to Move a Windows XP Installation to Different Hardware"
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;nl;314070
    > but not anymore. There must be a reason.

    Yep, its now obsolete. Replaced by the upgrade in place.

    The 2K version is still around
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694/
  28. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3gue1dFefbloU1@individual.net
    > Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:6Flqe.929193$w62.553281@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
    >
    > > Please post in plain text.
    >
    > He did

    > The problem is with

    > OE doesn't quote that properly.

    Doesn't quote that at all. Which OE-QuoteFix will fix nicely.
    Of course you now will rely on others to notify the poster to change his
    Content-Transfer-Encoding settings.

    Btw, if you have very long URLs, quoted-printable won't break them.

    > > If your goal is to restore a bunch of your files then most everything you
    > > describe is possible using Acronis TrueImage, Ghost or even Xcopy /e/h .
    > > However if your goal is to "clone" a running/bootable/operational Windows
    > > install then things are much more difficult.
    >
    > > With some playing around it'll usually work with 98[SE] and ME
    >
    > It'll usually work with out any playing around with those.
    >
    > > but not with W2K, NT4, XP nor W2K3.
    >
    > Wrong, you've just got to repair the install with those.
    >
    > > The exception to that is that if your goal is to restore the
    > > DVD/image to a different(bigger) HD(but same connection
    > > type like ATA vs. SCSI) on the same PC then that will work
    > > with TrueImage and Ghost on all 98[SE], ME, W2K, XP, W2K3.
    >
    > Only if you're careful about what the OS can see on
    > the first boot after clone is done with W2K, XP, W2K3.
    >
    > > Otherwise a clean install of NT4, W2K, XP or W2K3 is the best way to
    > > go followed by files copies and/or some settings transfers wizards etc.
    >
    > Not necessarily, cloning and repair usually works fine.
    >
    > > "Dan" gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1118415535.213484.146620@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > > Hello, Im interested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
    > > Windows but I have a question before hand
    > >
    > > If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
    > > image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
    > > size/brand hard disk. Is
    > > that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?
    > >
    > > Someone recommended either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
    > > not sure if it'll help me.
    > >
    > > I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Dan
  29. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote

    >>> Please post in plain text.

    >> He did

    >> The problem is with

    >> OE doesn't quote that properly.

    > Doesn't quote that at all.

    Thats what I meant.

    > Which OE-QuoteFix will fix nicely.

    > Of course you now will rely on others to notify the poster
    > to change his Content-Transfer-Encoding settings.

    I couldnt care less basically.

    > Btw, if you have very long URLs, quoted-printable won't break them.

    Same with the default Format=Flowed; Original if you surround it with <>

    >> > If your goal is to restore a bunch of your files then most everything you
    >> > describe is possible using Acronis TrueImage, Ghost or even Xcopy /e/h .
    >> > However if your goal is to "clone" a running/bootable/operational Windows
    >> > install then things are much more difficult.
    >>
    >> > With some playing around it'll usually work with 98[SE] and ME
    >>
    >> It'll usually work with out any playing around with those.
    >>
    >> > but not with W2K, NT4, XP nor W2K3.
    >>
    >> Wrong, you've just got to repair the install with those.
    >>
    >> > The exception to that is that if your goal is to restore the
    >> > DVD/image to a different(bigger) HD(but same connection
    >> > type like ATA vs. SCSI) on the same PC then that will work
    >> > with TrueImage and Ghost on all 98[SE], ME, W2K, XP, W2K3.
    >>
    >> Only if you're careful about what the OS can see on
    >> the first boot after clone is done with W2K, XP, W2K3.
    >>
    >> > Otherwise a clean install of NT4, W2K, XP or W2K3 is the best way to
    >> > go followed by files copies and/or some settings transfers wizards etc.
    >>
    >> Not necessarily, cloning and repair usually works fine.
    >>
    >> > "Dan" gamesstate@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello, Im interested in purchasing a product to clone hard disks in
    >> > Windows but I have a question before hand
    >> >
    >> > If I clone a hard disk into some DVD´s and the I want to restore that
    >> > image into another hard disk on a new computer, a new, different
    >> > size/brand hard disk. Is
    >> > that possible? Is there a "correct" way to do it?
    >> >
    >> > Someone recommended either Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image, but Im
    >> > not sure if it'll help me.
    >> >
    >> > I hope your answers help me to decide weather to buy the software.
    >> > Thanks in advance,
    >> > Dan

  30. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3hf74cFgdp8qU1@individual.net
    > Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:42b24e99$0$76820$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
    > > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    > > > Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote

    > > > He did

    > > > The problem is with

    > > > OE doesn't quote that properly.
    >
    > > Doesn't quote that at all.
    >
    > Thats what I meant.
    >
    > > Which OE-QuoteFix will fix nicely.
    >
    > > Of course you now will rely on others to notify the poster
    > > to change his Content-Transfer-Encoding settings.
    >
    > I couldnt care less basically.

    As if that matters.

    > > Btw, if you have very long URLs, quoted-printable won't break them.
    >
    > Same with the default Format=Flowed; Original if you surround it with <>

    Not with the Win9x/me version, AFAICT.
    And from what I've seen from your posts, Format=Flowed still breaks lines
    when viewing with other news clients than OE 6.00.2900.
    That's assuming OE 6.00.2900 corrects that for itself.

    > > > It'll usually work with out any playing around with those.

    > > > Wrong, you've just got to repair the install with those.

    > > > Only if you're careful about what the OS can see on
    > > > the first boot after clone is done with W2K, XP, W2K3.

    > > > Not necessarily, cloning and repair usually works fine.

  31. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
    >>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >>> Doesn't quote that at all.

    >> Thats what I meant.

    >>> Which OE-QuoteFix will fix nicely.

    >>> Of course you now will rely on others to notify the poster
    >>> to change his Content-Transfer-Encoding settings.

    >> I couldnt care less basically.

    > As if that matters.

    In spades with your preferences.

    >>> Btw, if you have very long URLs, quoted-printable won't break them.

    >> Same with the default Format=Flowed; Original if you surround it with <>

    > Not with the Win9x/me version, AFAICT.

    You're wrong, the OS is completely irrelevant, its OE on that.

    > And from what I've seen from your posts, Format=Flowed still breaks
    > lines when viewing with other news clients than OE 6.00.2900.

    No URLS when done like that, thats what is being discussed.

    > That's assuming OE 6.00.2900 corrects that for itself.

    Nothing to 'correct' with the initial lack of molesting of the url.

  32. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3hh0idFgnud1U1@individual.net
    > Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message news:42b3143d$0$66613$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
    > > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote

    > > > Thats what I meant.

    > > > I couldnt care less basically.
    >
    > > As if that matters.
    >
    > In spades with your preferences.

    > > > Same with the default Format=Flowed; Original if you surround it with <>
    >
    > > Not with the Win9x/me version, AFAICT.
    >
    > You're wrong, the OS is completely irrelevant,

    > its OE on that.

    And what OE version will be supported by any OS.

    So then, tell us where we can download OE 6.00.2900 for Win9x.
    AFAICT, the latest is for XP, coming with SP2.

    > > And from what I've seen from your posts, Format=Flowed still breaks
    > > lines when viewing with other news clients than OE 6.00.2900.
    >
    > No URLS when done like that, thats what is being discussed.

    Never worked for OE when it still broke the URLs. Current OE, how-
    ever, doesn't break them at all anymore, with(?) or without <........>:

    !---------!---------!---------!---------!---------!---------!---------!-------80!---------!---------!---------!---------!--------132
    --------!---------!-------160 This was a single line while composing the message.

    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    See, no breaks.

    <http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/
    products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en>

    Oops!

    Uh, you were saying? Original, if you surround it with <>?
    So obviously nothing to do with "Format=Flowed".

    > > That's assuming OE 6.00.2900 corrects that for itself.
    >
    > Nothing to 'correct' with the initial lack of molesting of the url.

    So what good is format=flowed with the mess that you created below in the next 7 or so lines??

  33. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
    >> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
    >>> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    Badly actually.

    >>> As if that matters.

    >> In spades with your preferences.

    >>> Not with the Win9x/me version, AFAICT.

    >> You're wrong, the OS is completely irrelevant,

    >> its OE on that.

    > And what OE version will be supported by any OS.

    Even you should be able to bullshit your way out
    of your predicament better than that pathetic effort.

    > So then, tell us where we can download OE 6.00.2900 for Win9x.
    > AFAICT, the latest is for XP, coming with SP2.

    You're wrong, as always.

    >>> And from what I've seen from your posts, Format=Flowed still breaks
    >>> lines when viewing with other news clients than OE 6.00.2900.

    >> No URLS when done like that, thats what is being discussed.

    > Never worked for OE when it still broke the URLs.

    You're wrong, as always.

    > Current OE, how- ever, doesn't break them at all anymore, with(?) or without

    You're wrong, as always.

    <reams of your obscene mess flushed where it belongs>

    >>> That's assuming OE 6.00.2900 corrects that for itself.

    >> Nothing to 'correct' with the initial lack of molesting of the url.

    > So what good is format=flowed with the mess
    > that you created below in the next 7 or so lines??

    Separate issue entirely to what was being discussed, breaking urls.

Hard Drives Storage