purchasing cameras on line

This is probably old hat to most of you but I have been attempting to buy a
new camera on line at a good price .I cannot afford the top of the line
stuff but I am looking at a panasonic lumix fz20

Several web sites giving prices at many retailers feature prices and who is
offering them but logging on to the sellers specific site and the price
suddenly increases by over $100 in some cases.

I called one retailer and I asked what was in the box apart from the camera
,one of the items was a year guarantee by Panasonic,I later that day ordered
the camera on line an effort to sell peripherals .Two days later I get an
email asking me to confirm the order, which in fact was an effort to get me
to order peripherals. One of which was a year guarantee ,I mentioned it came
with a year guarantee from the manufacturer, no so he said and asked where I
got that from ,I explained from the phone enquiry at which point he
explained all their cameras were gray market ones, at which point I
cancelled the order.

And so it goes another advertising on the web at $501, says the price was
put in before the "holiday"!!! and the revised price is $599.

Another advertises the camera for about $540 for the black body and $465 for
the silver body, same camera .

Seems about all these people originated in the middle east and still
practice middle eastern business ethics, in short you might say a bunch of
shysters ...mjh
14 answers Last reply
More about purchasing cameras line

    On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:59:44 GMT, "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    Alot of your online dealers are like the auto repair shops... place an
    order for one item and they try to sell new brakes and trans
    checkups... Have dealt with several.. Butterfly Photo was the best,
    but they called to offer other items too... I did purchase from them
    at a reasonable price.

    Thanks, I will give them a try.....mjh

    "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > This is probably old hat to most of you but I have been attempting to buy
    > a new camera on line at a good price .I cannot afford the top of the line
    > stuff but I am looking at a panasonic lumix fz20
    >
    > Several web sites giving prices at many retailers feature prices and who
    > is offering them but logging on to the sellers specific site and the price
    > suddenly increases by over $100 in some cases.
    >
    > I called one retailer and I asked what was in the box apart from the
    > camera ,one of the items was a year guarantee by Panasonic,I later that
    > day ordered the camera on line an effort to sell peripherals .Two days
    > later I get an email asking me to confirm the order, which in fact was an
    > effort to get me to order peripherals. One of which was a year guarantee
    > ,I mentioned it came with a year guarantee from the manufacturer, no so he
    > said and asked where I got that from ,I explained from the phone enquiry
    > at which point he explained all their cameras were gray market ones, at
    > which point I cancelled the order.
    >
    > And so it goes another advertising on the web at $501, says the price was
    > put in before the "holiday"!!! and the revised price is $599.
    >
    > Another advertises the camera for about $540 for the black body and $465
    > for the silver body, same camera .
    >
    > Seems about all these people originated in the middle east and still
    > practice middle eastern business ethics, in short you might say a bunch of
    > shysters ...mjh

    Remember the rule: If the price ois too good to be real, it probably is.

    Whether you are buying from a local store, a catalog, by phone, or online,
    it is best to deal with someone you can trust. I am one of the many who
    recommend B&H, online at www.bhphotovideo.com. If you are in or near New
    York City, visit their store. It is an amazing setup, with a large stock
    and knowledgable sales clerks.

    Try B&H Photo online and don't bother with eBay unless you buy used. Prices
    are higher than list sometimes.

    I don't buy Panasonic anything. I have never tried their cameras but I have
    been burnt by that brand name on 2 microwaves, stereo, phone and answering
    machine and a tape deck.

    > Thanks, I will give them a try.....mjh
    >
    > "lefty" <wpm302@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:59:44 GMT, "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > Alot of your online dealers are like the auto repair shops... place an
    > > order for one item and they try to sell new brakes and trans
    > > checkups... Have dealt with several.. Butterfly Photo was the best,
    > > but they called to offer other items too... I did purchase from them
    > > at a reasonable price.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > This is probably old hat to most of you but I have been attempting to buy
    > new camera on line at a good price .I cannot afford the top of the line
    > stuff but I am looking at a panasonic lumix fz20
    >
    > Several web sites giving prices at many retailers feature prices and who
    is
    > offering them but logging on to the sellers specific site and the price
    > suddenly increases by over $100 in some cases.
    >
    > I called one retailer and I asked what was in the box apart from the
    camera
    > ,one of the items was a year guarantee by Panasonic,I later that day
    ordered
    > the camera on line an effort to sell peripherals .Two days later I get an
    > email asking me to confirm the order, which in fact was an effort to get
    me
    > to order peripherals. One of which was a year guarantee ,I mentioned it
    came
    > with a year guarantee from the manufacturer, no so he said and asked where
    > got that from ,I explained from the phone enquiry at which point he
    > explained all their cameras were gray market ones, at which point I
    > cancelled the order.
    >
    > And so it goes another advertising on the web at $501, says the price was
    > put in before the "holiday"!!! and the revised price is $599.
    >
    > Another advertises the camera for about $540 for the black body and $465
    for
    > the silver body, same camera .
    >
    > Seems about all these people originated in the middle east and still
    > practice middle eastern business ethics, in short you might say a bunch of
    > shysters ...mjh

    where the hell are you ordering from ;).
    There are plenty of excellent internet camera stores. Dont google for
    shysters, ask for recommenations.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Bought the black body FZ20 a couple of days ago. Found it online but ended
    up visiting the premises (in the UK).
    Superb camera, blown away by the images it takes ... already bought a 512mb
    SD card and extra battery too. It certainly pays to ask for recommendations
    and shop around ....

    Geoff

    "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > This is probably old hat to most of you but I have been attempting to buy
    > a new camera on line at a good price .I cannot afford the top of the line
    > stuff but I am looking at a panasonic lumix fz20
    >
    > Several web sites giving prices at many retailers feature prices and who
    > is offering them but logging on to the sellers specific site and the price
    > suddenly increases by over $100 in some cases.
    >
    > I called one retailer and I asked what was in the box apart from the
    > camera ,one of the items was a year guarantee by Panasonic,I later that
    > day ordered the camera on line an effort to sell peripherals .Two days
    > later I get an email asking me to confirm the order, which in fact was an
    > effort to get me to order peripherals. One of which was a year guarantee
    > ,I mentioned it came with a year guarantee from the manufacturer, no so he
    > said and asked where I got that from ,I explained from the phone enquiry
    > at which point he explained all their cameras were gray market ones, at
    > which point I cancelled the order.
    >
    > And so it goes another advertising on the web at $501, says the price was
    > put in before the "holiday"!!! and the revised price is $599.
    >
    > Another advertises the camera for about $540 for the black body and $465
    > for the silver body, same camera .
    >
    > Seems about all these people originated in the middle east and still
    > practice middle eastern business ethics, in short you might say a bunch of
    > shysters ...mjh
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Well I ordered the lumix from "nightowl" a west coast outfit ,for $520 plus
    $8 shipping . I will let you know how things work out, the company seems to
    be on the up and up.

    Incidentally I came across a dealer rating site which I found helpful for
    the likes of me at least , for your info it is
    http://www.resellerratings.com/ Thanks for you help . regards mjh
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    I will second the motion to buy from B&H. Have never had a problem with
    them.

    Dan

    "Gymmy Bob" <nospamming@bite.me> wrote in message
    > Try B&H Photo online and don't bother with eBay unless you buy used.
    Prices
    > are higher than list sometimes.
    >
    > I don't buy Panasonic anything. I have never tried their cameras but I
    have
    > been burnt by that brand name on 2 microwaves, stereo, phone and
    answering
    > machine and a tape deck.
    >
    > "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Thanks, I will give them a try.....mjh
    > >
    > > "lefty" <wpm302@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 02:59:44 GMT, "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net>
    > > > wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Alot of your online dealers are like the auto repair shops... place an
    > > > order for one item and they try to sell new brakes and trans
    > > > checkups... Have dealt with several.. Butterfly Photo was the best,
    > > > but they called to offer other items too... I did purchase from them
    > > > at a reasonable price.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Just bought a Canon Digital Rebel, 2 lenses and case from Ritzcamera.com,
    cheap price, no sales tax and free shipping... 100% satisfied. I'd stay
    away from smaller stores unless they have a good feedback response on some
    of the online listings.

    --
    Craig J Hadfield AKA EnglishBob
    Canon Digital Rebel 300D

    > Well I ordered the lumix from "nightowl" a west coast outfit ,for $520
    > plus $8 shipping . I will let you know how things work out, the company
    > seems to be on the up and up.
    >
    > Incidentally I came across a dealer rating site which I found helpful for
    > the likes of me at least , for your info it is
    > http://www.resellerratings.com/ Thanks for you help . regards mjh

    The site only reflects what folks have posted. The ratings are easily
    manipulated.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    wrote:

    >This is probably old hat to most of you but I have been attempting to buy a
    >new camera on line at a good price .I cannot afford the top of the line
    >stuff but I am looking at a panasonic lumix fz20
    >
    >Several web sites giving prices at many retailers feature prices and who is
    >offering them but logging on to the sellers specific site and the price
    >suddenly increases by over $100 in some cases.
    >
    >I called one retailer and I asked what was in the box apart from the camera
    >,one of the items was a year guarantee by Panasonic,I later that day ordered
    >the camera on line an effort to sell peripherals .Two days later I get an
    >email asking me to confirm the order, which in fact was an effort to get me
    >to order peripherals. One of which was a year guarantee ,I mentioned it came
    >with a year guarantee from the manufacturer, no so he said and asked where I
    >got that from ,I explained from the phone enquiry at which point he
    >explained all their cameras were gray market ones, at which point I
    >cancelled the order.
    >
    >And so it goes another advertising on the web at $501, says the price was
    >put in before the "holiday"!!! and the revised price is $599.
    >
    >Another advertises the camera for about $540 for the black body and $465 for
    >the silver body, same camera .
    >
    >Seems about all these people originated in the middle east and still
    >practice middle eastern business ethics, in short you might say a bunch of
    >shysters ...mjh

    I would buy from J&R as I've dealt with them extensively, and based
    on what I've read, B&H appears to have a good reputation, but be wary
    of many of the NYC camera shops that are online.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > This is probably old hat to most of you but I have been attempting to buy
    > a new camera on line at a good price .I cannot afford the top of the line
    > stuff but I am looking at a panasonic lumix fz20
    >
    > Several web sites giving prices at many retailers feature prices and who
    > is offering them but logging on to the sellers specific site and the price
    > suddenly increases by over $100 in some cases.
    >
    > I called one retailer and I asked what was in the box apart from the
    > camera ,one of the items was a year guarantee by Panasonic,I later that
    > day ordered the camera on line an effort to sell peripherals .Two days
    > later I get an email asking me to confirm the order, which in fact was an
    > effort to get me to order peripherals. One of which was a year guarantee
    > ,I mentioned it came with a year guarantee from the manufacturer, no so he
    > said and asked where I got that from ,I explained from the phone enquiry
    > at which point he explained all their cameras were gray market ones, at
    > which point I cancelled the order.
    >
    > And so it goes another advertising on the web at $501, says the price was
    > put in before the "holiday"!!! and the revised price is $599.
    >
    > Another advertises the camera for about $540 for the black body and $465
    > for the silver body, same camera .
    >
    > Seems about all these people originated in the middle east and still
    > practice middle eastern business ethics, in short you might say a bunch of
    > shysters ...mjh

    There was a thread about 4 years ago on this NG about Brooklyn camera
    dealers. The thread was specifically about a store called "Digital Dog". It
    was very informative. Basically the consensus is; Don't buy from stores in
    Brooklyn unless you have done an exhaustive check or know of them to be
    reputable. Most are run by mid-easterners engaged in bait & switch, missing
    accessories, or high pressure sales tactics. Selling Grey market cameras was
    one of their favorites. They also ran a story on 60 minutes on their brick &
    mortar operations.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Seems about all these people originated in the middle east and still
    > practice middle eastern business ethics

    WTF is that supposed to mean?
    Richard
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.dcameras (More info?)

    Semitic people.

    Want it slower?

    "marlinspike" <rishayegan@davidson.edu> wrote in message
    > "Mike Hide" <mikehide@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Seems about all these people originated in the middle east and still
    > > practice middle eastern business ethics
    >
    > WTF is that supposed to mean?
    > Richard

Cameras Panasonic Peripherals