Mirroring over network, backup software recommendations

I'm looking for a backup software package for a small business client
(cost not a huge factor) to be able to mirror and/or copy data (not a
drive image, just some folders) from a local HDD to a network drive
which will actually be another workstation on the network. It would of
course also backup to an Iomega REV Drive locally attached.

Do any backup software packages do this reliably? Do they do real-time
mirroring in this way? If network mirroring is not a possibility, are
there any good packages for local HDD to HDD mirroring, that could also
perform a backup to a network drive?

The client has a REV drive, but not the software that should've come
free with it called Iomega Automatic Backup, any ideas if that's worth
trying?

The machines run Windows XP Home.

Thanks

On 6/13/2005 15:01, pjmcgarvey@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm looking for a backup software package for a small business client
> (cost not a huge factor) to be able to mirror and/or copy data (not a
> drive image, just some folders) from a local HDD to a network drive
> which will actually be another workstation on the network. It would of
> course also backup to an Iomega REV Drive locally attached.

Brightstore Arcserve seems to work pretty well for me. It is a tad pricey
as is any decent backup software. Keep in mind if they want to leave
application open and running then they will need to pay for the "agent for
open files" add-on.

> Do any backup software packages do this reliably? Do they do real-time
> mirroring in this way? If network mirroring is not a possibility, are
> there any good packages for local HDD to HDD mirroring, that could also
> perform a backup to a network drive?

If you want real time mirroring you will have to look into clustering
software and "real servers." BU software is not--at all--designed for
this type of thing.

You can also try making batch scripts with the shell or install ActivePerl
and use the task scheduler to copy the files at a certain time

> The client has a REV drive, but not the software that should've come
> free with it called Iomega Automatic Backup, any ideas if that's worth
> trying?

Call Iomega and see about getting the software :)

There is BackupExec and Yosemite Tapeware also for 3rd party backup software

> The machines run Windows XP Home.

Does this castrated version of windows come with the windows backup
utility (All programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup)? That could
possibly do for simple needs.

~Jason

pjmcgarvey@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm looking for a backup software package for a small business client
> (cost not a huge factor) to be able to mirror and/or copy data (not a
> drive image, just some folders) from a local HDD to a network drive
> which will actually be another workstation on the network. It would of
> course also backup to an Iomega REV Drive locally attached.
>
> Do any backup software packages do this reliably? Do they do real-time
> mirroring in this way? If network mirroring is not a possibility, are
> there any good packages for local HDD to HDD mirroring, that could also
> perform a backup to a network drive?
>
> The client has a REV drive, but not the software that should've come
> free with it called Iomega Automatic Backup, any ideas if that's worth
> trying?
>
> The machines run Windows XP Home.

You should be able to copy folders using xcopy and the system scheduler.
Alternatively the Windows XP backup program works fine. Note that you
should go through the default list of exclusions and make sure it's not
going to cause you problems later.

To mirror you need either hard- or soft- RAID and that is different from
backup software.

To make a full image of the disk look into Ghost or LiveState Recovery from
Symantec or Acronis TrueImage.

Note that Windows backup and LiveState recovery make use of the shadow-copy
feature in XP and later to back up open files without requiring any special
add-in.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Jason Gurtz wrote:
> Brightstore Arcserve seems to work pretty well for me. It is a tad pricey
> as is any decent backup software. Keep in mind if they want to leave
> application open and running then they will need to pay for the "agent for
> open files" add-on.

shouldn't be a problem in this situation.

> If you want real time mirroring you will have to look into clustering
> software and "real servers." BU software is not--at all--designed for
> this type of thing.

I think I was understanding 'mirroring' in a more general sense.

> > The client has a REV drive, but not the software that should've come
> > free with it called Iomega Automatic Backup, any ideas if that's worth
> > trying?
>
> Call Iomega and see about getting the software :)

They bought it through a local IT support place, that I'm assuming
never gave them the s/w. It only costs $35 so I might go with that.

> There is BackupExec and Yosemite Tapeware also for 3rd party backup software
>
> > The machines run Windows XP Home.
>
> Does this castrated version of windows come with the windows backup
> utility (All programs->Accessories->System Tools->Backup)? That could
> possibly do for simple needs.

Not sure, don't run it at home. XP Pro at work has it, might do the
trick.

Really appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks,
PJ