200Gig SATA went mad :-(

I have a Maxtor Diamond 200gig SATA drive attatched to my Polaris 400
motherboard. All of a sudden when booting Windows XP media centre 2005
with SP2 it decides that it will take around 40 mins to boot up ? Once
it has booted up it will let me into the drive but every so often it
seems to slow down and freeze the system ? Leave it for 30 secs and
then it's fine ?
I am trying to rescue around 90gigs of data from the drive before it
finally gives up the ghost. Anyone got any ideas what may be up with
it, and if not should I call Maxtor and demand a replacement as it's
only around 6 months old ?
Thanx in advance for any help
Martin

"bassboy303" <martinorr303@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Maxtor Diamond 200gig SATA drive attatched to my Polaris 400
> motherboard. All of a sudden when booting Windows XP media centre 2005
> with SP2 it decides that it will take around 40 mins to boot up ? Once
> it has booted up it will let me into the drive but every so often it
> seems to slow down and freeze the system ? Leave it for 30 secs and
> then it's fine ?
> I am trying to rescue around 90gigs of data from the drive before it
> finally gives up the ghost. Anyone got any ideas what may be up with
> it, and if not should I call Maxtor and demand a replacement as it's
> only around 6 months old ?
> Thanx in advance for any help
> Martin

We need more information.

bassboy303 <martinorr303@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I have a Maxtor Diamond 200gig SATA drive attatched to my
> Polaris 400 motherboard. All of a sudden when booting Windows
> XP media centre 2005 with SP2 it decides that it will take around
> 40 mins to boot up ? Once it has booted up it will let me into the
> drive but every so often it seems to slow down and freeze the
> system ? Leave it for 30 secs and then it's fine ?

> I am trying to rescue around 90gigs of data
> from the drive before it finally gives up the ghost.
> Anyone got any ideas what may be up with it,

Most likely its dying and is retrying on errors and does
eventually succeed in seeing the bad sector contents.

That can slow things down that drastically.

Use Everest to have a look at the drive SMART stats.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

> and if not should I call Maxtor and demand a
> replacement as it's only around 6 months old ?

Yes you should, but obviously only after
you get the data you care about off it.

You bought a Maxtror ???

YOUR SO FUNNY BAHAHAHAHAH.

"Jill haoulder" <43434.com.au> wrote in message

> You bought a Maxtror ???

Well informed folks do just that.