SATA II drive on SATA I PCI controller?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
June 16, 2005 7:40:01 PM

I've nearly run out of storage space and thus am in the process of
finding a new hard disc to buy. I am considering a Western Digital 250
GB SATAII drive for AUD$219 (about US$170)

Currently I am running a WD 200 GB SATAI (first generation SATA 150)
drive on one port of a PCI-SATA(I) controller card. It is based on a
Silicon Image chipset, I think 3112. It is just a standard controller,
no RAID etc, but it works fine. It has one other channel free where I
intend on putting the new drive.

I am wondering if I buy a SATAII drive will it work off of the SATA(I)
PCI controller card?

Are SATA II drives backwards compatible with SATAI controllers? Will the
drive work, but simply be restricted to SATAI speeds (and to the speed
of the PCI bus), or are SATA II drives only mechanically compatible
(i.e. they use the same cables) but are electronically incompatible?
Meaning if I buy a SATAII drive I would also have to buy a new SATAII
PCI controller card?

Basically I was hoping to be able to buy a SATAII drive now, because
towards the end of the year I intend on upgrading to a new nForce 4
based motherboard that will no doubt have a heap of SATAII connectors.
Plus a chipset that can supply the bandwidth required for SATAII. But
for now I was hoping I would be able to use the other channel of the
SATA(I) controller to support a new SATAII drive.

Simon Howson
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 17, 2005 5:24:51 AM

"Simon Howson" <simonhowson@NOSPAMyahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> I've nearly run out of storage space and thus am in the process of
> finding a new hard disc to buy. I am considering a Western Digital 250
> GB SATAII drive for AUD$219 (about US$170)
>
> Currently I am running a WD 200 GB SATAI (first generation SATA 150)
> drive on one port of a PCI-SATA(I) controller card. It is based on a
> Silicon Image chipset, I think 3112. It is just a standard controller,
> no RAID etc, but it works fine. It has one other channel free where I
> intend on putting the new drive.
>
> I am wondering if I buy a SATAII drive will it work off of the SATA(I)
> PCI controller card?

It'll work fine.

> Are SATA II drives backwards compatible with SATAI controllers? Will the
> drive work, but simply be restricted to SATAI speeds

Yes but there is no drive capable of exploiting SATA1 speeds let alone SATA2
speeds yet.
Those are just peak burst rates of the interface and not drive speeds.

>(and to the speed
> of the PCI bus), or are SATA II drives only mechanically compatible
> (i.e. they use the same cables) but are electronically incompatible?
> Meaning if I buy a SATAII drive I would also have to buy a new SATAII
> PCI controller card?

Nope.

> Basically I was hoping to be able to buy a SATAII drive now, because
> towards the end of the year I intend on upgrading to a new nForce 4
> based motherboard that will no doubt have a heap of SATAII connectors.

And will contribute nothing to extra performance for your configuration.

> Plus a chipset that can supply the bandwidth required for SATAII. But
> for now I was hoping I would be able to use the other channel of the
> SATA(I) controller to support a new SATAII drive.
>
> Simon Howson
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 17, 2005 11:22:28 AM

Simon Howson <simonhowson@NOSPAMyahoo.com.au> wrote
in message news:l3hse.19399$F7.16815@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> I've nearly run out of storage space and thus am in the process of finding a
> new hard disc to buy. I am considering a Western Digital 250 GB SATAII drive
> for AUD$219 (about US$170)

> Currently I am running a WD 200 GB SATAI (first generation SATA 150) drive on
> one port of a PCI-SATA(I) controller card. It is based on a Silicon Image
> chipset, I think 3112. It is just a standard controller, no RAID etc, but it
> works fine. It has one other channel free where I intend on putting the new
> drive.
>
> I am wondering if I buy a SATAII drive will it work off of the SATA(I) PCI
> controller card?
>
> Are SATA II drives backwards compatible with SATAI controllers? Will the drive
> work, but simply be restricted to SATAI speeds (and to the speed of the PCI
> bus), or are SATA II drives only mechanically compatible (i.e. they use the
> same cables) but are electronically incompatible? Meaning if I buy a SATAII
> drive I would also have to buy a new SATAII PCI controller card?
>
> Basically I was hoping to be able to buy a SATAII drive now, because towards
> the end of the year I intend on upgrading to a new nForce 4 based motherboard
> that will no doubt have a heap of SATAII connectors. Plus a chipset that can
> supply the bandwidth required for SATAII. But for now I was hoping I would be
> able to use the other channel of the SATA(I) controller to support a new
> SATAII drive.

That approach will work fine.
!