bad sector maxtor drive

hod

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Hi,

I have a maxtor SATA 120 Gb drive which started showing bad sectors. it has
3 partitions
1 bad sector - partition 1
1 bad sector - partition 2
12 bad sectors - partition 3
all ntfs
the disk is 11 months old.

SMART test shows no errors.

deleted and formatted partition 1 and 2 with partitionmagic and the bad
sectors disappeared.

What is the problem do I have to replace the disk?

Thanks
Hod

In article <d8umh0$fdt$1@news2.netvision.net.il>,
Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I have a maxtor SATA 120 Gb drive which started showing bad sectors. it has
>3 partitions
>1 bad sector - partition 1
>1 bad sector - partition 2
>12 bad sectors - partition 3
>all ntfs
>the disk is 11 months old.
>
>SMART test shows no errors.
>
>deleted and formatted partition 1 and 2 with partitionmagic and the bad
>sectors disappeared.
>
>What is the problem do I have to replace the disk?
>
>Thanks
>Hod

I say yes. I just went through a similar situation. I'm beginning to
wonder if SMART, as I understand it does, anything.

d/l the maxtor software to run diagnostics on your disk and see what
error code you get. One of the tests is read-only.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

Previously Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote:
> Hi,

> I have a maxtor SATA 120 Gb drive which started showing bad sectors. it has
> 3 partitions
> 1 bad sector - partition 1
> 1 bad sector - partition 2
> 12 bad sectors - partition 3
> all ntfs
> the disk is 11 months old.

> SMART test shows no errors.

> deleted and formatted partition 1 and 2 with partitionmagic and the bad
> sectors disappeared.

> What is the problem do I have to replace the disk?

I would say not yet. I have seen a few maxtors that developed some
defective sectors at one time but never any additional ones.

Did you run a full/long SMART self-test? What are the numbers on
reallocated sectors in the SMART attributes?

Arno

"Hod" <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote in message news:d8umh0$fdt$1@news2.netvision.net.il
> Hi,
>
> I have a maxtor SATA 120 Gb drive which started showing bad sectors. it has
> 3 partitions
> 1 bad sector - partition 1
> 1 bad sector - partition 2
> 12 bad sectors - partition 3
> all ntfs
> the disk is 11 months old.
>
> SMART test shows no errors.
>
> deleted and formatted partition 1 and 2 with partitionmagic and the bad
> sectors disappeared.
>
> What is the problem, do I have to replace the disk?

Check the power supply to the harddrive and the drive's temperature.
The bad sectors may have been power or temperature induced.

> Thanks
> Hod

hod

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

My experience with smart is very good.
I had a WD drive which gave a samrt warning and after a few days started
going bad and I was able to save before disaster.

> In article <d8umh0$fdt$1@news2.netvision.net.il>,
> Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I have a maxtor SATA 120 Gb drive which started showing bad sectors. it
>>has
>>3 partitions
>>1 bad sector - partition 1
>>1 bad sector - partition 2
>>12 bad sectors - partition 3
>>all ntfs
>>the disk is 11 months old.
>>
>>SMART test shows no errors.
>>
>>deleted and formatted partition 1 and 2 with partitionmagic and the bad
>>sectors disappeared.
>>
>>What is the problem do I have to replace the disk?
>>
>>Thanks
>>Hod
>>

> I say yes. I just went through a similar situation. I'm beginning to
> wonder if SMART, as I understand it does, anything.
>
> d/l the maxtor software to run diagnostics on your disk and see what
> error code you get. One of the tests is read-only.
>

> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>
> Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

hod

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

Hi
Are maxtor drives sensitive to power source or temp.
I have an older WD disk on the same computer at it is spinning happily
without trouble.

Hod

> Hi
> Are maxtor drives sensitive to power source or temp.

Not necessarily but the way it's installed/located has a significant impact.
The power connector may be loose/oxidized.

> I have an older WD disk on the same computer at it is spinning happily
> without trouble.

Not relevant. How/where/next to what is the Maxtor mounted?

Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
> Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote

>> I have a maxtor SATA 120 Gb drive which started showing bad sectors.
>> it has 3 partitions
>> 1 bad sector - partition 1
>> 1 bad sector - partition 2
>> 12 bad sectors - partition 3
>> all ntfs
>> the disk is 11 months old.

>> SMART test shows no errors.

What does the SMART report using Everest say ?
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

>> deleted and formatted partition 1 and 2 with
>> partitionmagic and the bad sectors disappeared.

Maybe the drive mapped the bads away. That should show
in the Everest SMART display as Reallocated Sector Count.

>> What is the problem do I have to replace the disk?

I would, but Maxtor wont replace it unless it fails their diag.

> I say yes. I just went through a similar situation. I'm beginning
> to wonder if SMART, as I understand it does, anything.

If it doesnt, its likely Maxtor's implementation of it thats the problem.

> d/l the maxtor software to run diagnostics on your disk and
> see what error code you get. One of the tests is read-only.

hod

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

There is a value in Reallocated Sector Count but it is defined as OK.

Hod

> Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote in message
>> Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote
>
>>> I have a maxtor SATA 120 Gb drive which started showing bad sectors.
>>> it has 3 partitions
>>> 1 bad sector - partition 1
>>> 1 bad sector - partition 2

> There is a value in Reallocated Sector Count

What is the number ?

> but it is defined as OK.

Yeah, its not necessarily bad news, some drives
do generate a few in the first month or two of use.

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Al Dykes <adykes@panix.com> wrote
>>> Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote

>> What does the SMART report using Everest say ?
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

>> Maybe the drive mapped the bads away. That should show
>> in the Everest SMART display as Reallocated Sector Count.

>> I would, but Maxtor wont replace it unless it fails their diag.
>>
>>> I say yes. I just went through a similar situation. I'm beginning
>>> to wonder if SMART, as I understand it does, anything.
>>
>> If it doesnt, its likely Maxtor's implementation of it thats the problem.
>>
>>> d/l the maxtor software to run diagnostics on your disk and
>>> see what error code you get. One of the tests is read-only.

hod

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

The drive is mounted vertically in the hdd slot in front of my pc box under
the HD drive.

Hod

> The drive is mounted vertically in the hdd slot in front of my pc box
under
> the HD drive.

Is that a standard HD mounting location for that chassis? Is there plenty
of free/movable air on both primary surfaces of the drive? After it's been
powered for a half hour can you hold your hand on the drive for 15 seconds?
If not then it's too hot.

> Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote

>> The drive is mounted vertically in the hdd slot
>> in front of my pc box under the HD drive.

> Is that a standard HD mounting location for that chassis? Is there
> plenty of free/movable air on both primary surfaces of the drive?
> After it's been powered for a half hour can you hold your hand
> on the drive for 15 seconds? If not then it's too hot.

Not relevant to death within an hour or two with
the level of airflow thru the case he says he has.

> Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote
>
> >> The drive is mounted vertically in the hdd slot
> >> in front of my pc box under the HD drive.
>
> > Is that a standard HD mounting location for that chassis? Is there
> > plenty of free/movable air on both primary surfaces of the drive?
> > After it's been powered for a half hour can you hold your hand
> > on the drive for 15 seconds? If not then it's too hot.
>
> Not relevant to death within an hour or two with
> the level of airflow thru the case he says he has.

WRONG!

> Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote
>> Ron Reaugh <ron-reaugh@worldnet.att.net> wrote
>>> Hod <hodwi@netvision.net.il> wrote

>>> Is that a standard HD mounting location for that chassis? Is there
>>> plenty of free/movable air on both primary surfaces of the drive?
>>> After it's been powered for a half hour can you hold your hand
>>> on the drive for 15 seconds? If not then it's too hot.

>> Not relevant to death within an hour or two with
>> the level of airflow thru the case he says he has.

> WRONG!

RIGHT!!!