Unable to capture video from Mini-DV camcorder after SP2

After installing SP2 I am unable to capture video using Widows Movie Maker or
MGI Videowave 4. I restored my computer prior to the install of SP2 and was
again able to capture the video.

I am currently using a Texas Instrument OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host
Controller Fire Wire Card, the Camcorder is a MiniDV Samsung SCD60.

The camcorder is reconginzed in the Imaging Devices in the Device Manager
and Windows XP displays a "What action do I want to perform" message after
connecting the Firewire cable to the camcorder. I am also able to control
the camera using Widows Movie Maker, however, the preview window is blank and
after finishing the capture process I get the follwing error: "The video was
not captured correctly. Verify that your video camera and capture device are
configured properly"

Any help would be appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about unable capture video mini camcorder

    Hello - First time poster here and I found this forum while googling the
    exact problem posted above.

    I have the same setup and haven't any idea how to capture DV onto my
    PC. I run XP Media Center and have SP2 and Movie Maker 2.1.4026.0

    I know the original is an old post, but it describes my problem to a T
    and I hope someone can lend me their insight on how to capture DV
    properly.

    Thank you!

    --
    yippinyahoo

    Their was supposed to have been a tightening up of drivers in SP2 to
    closer meet the IEEE 1394 Firewire standards. What you describe is a
    common problem now. If you look at the standard, Apple first started it
    in 1995.
    'IEEE 1394-The Home Entertainment Network'
    (http://www.1394ta.org/Technology/1394NetworkArticle.pdf)
    What you will run into now is Microsoft blaming the firewire chipset
    makers and the camcorder industry for not staying within the standard,
    and the chipset makers and camcorder industry blaming Microsoft for
    locking down the IEEE code too hard.
    Where does that leave you? Well right where you are, nothing works.
    Their is a work-around, and I will post it. Since you've already
    installed then uninstalled SP2, it may or may not work for you. Please
    use at your own risk.

    REINSTALLING SP1 FIREWIRE DRIVERS:
    Go to C:\WINDOWS\Driver Cache\i386 & C:\dllcache in SP1 and copy out
    the
    following files
    1394bus.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    arp1394.sys is in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    nic1394.sys is in c:\Windows\System32\Drivers
    ohci1394.sys is in C:\windows\System32\drivers
    enum1394.sys is in C:\windows\system32\drivers
    Copy out the following files to a new folder you can call
    "Firewirefix," (without quotes)

    Stop XP Sp2 from re-installing it's drivers again by:
    Renaming the SP2.cab file to (e.g. to SP2old.cab)

    Replace the SP2 versions of these files with the SP1 versions in
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers & C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache in safe
    mode.

    Go to device manager for your ohci firewire card and update SP2 drivers
    to the SP1 drivers by pointing to Firewirefix.(warning message normal)
    Reboot.

    If you do not have an SP1 XP CD, you can borrow one. Please post back
    with your results.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    Your post sounds like my problem. It sounds daunting though to change all
    those files. Any possibility it has to do with the NVIDIA video card also?

    I have a Sony DV camcorder. I have been using a DV firewire (IEEE 1394) to
    transfer my videos to computers. I don't use it often though.. except now it
    is soccer/band season. The last time I used it successfully was in Jan 2005
    and it transferred fine. Now when I use the DV cord, it records, but jumps
    forward and it 'broken' up. I tried using the USB cord and it does transfer
    w/o the jumps, but the video quality is much less.

    My guess was a driver, but can't confirm that. Another possibility I came
    across was a conflict with a Windows Service Pack 2 update. My husband
    handles those things.

    My 1394 driver file is empty now. The transfer does work, but the quality is
    worthless.

Video Camcorders Windows XP