AVI format and codec problems

When I try to see my video that I recieved from a friend, it won't play
because it says that I do not have the necessary codec downloaded. I want to
convert it from avi format, but Windows Media Player should be able to play
avi movies. What should I do?
2 answers Last reply
More about format codec problems

    An AVI is just a container, http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10453.aspx
    should explain this in full.

    --
    Chris Lanier - http://www.msmvps.com/chrisl/

    NOTE: Replies are to help benefit others in helping
    you and reproducing issues, not necessarily for me
    to get back to you.
    ---
    "Puzzled in Despair" <Puzzled in Despair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:9C615AC5-A8F6-4105-B780-238C0CF3B07E@microsoft.com...
    > When I try to see my video that I recieved from a friend, it won't play
    > because it says that I do not have the necessary codec downloaded. I want
    > convert it from avi format, but Windows Media Player should be able to
    > play
    > avi movies. What should I do?

    My player automatically downloads the codec's needed to play but Movie Maker
    still gives me the message that the codec is missing?

    "Chris Lanier [MVP]" wrote:

    > An AVI is just a container, http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10453.aspx
    > should explain this in full.
    >
    > --
    > Chris Lanier - http://www.msmvps.com/chrisl/
    >
    > NOTE: Replies are to help benefit others in helping
    > you and reproducing issues, not necessarily for me
    > to get back to you.
    > ---
    > "Puzzled in Despair" <Puzzled in Despair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:9C615AC5-A8F6-4105-B780-238C0CF3B07E@microsoft.com...
    > > When I try to see my video that I recieved from a friend, it won't play
    > > because it says that I do not have the necessary codec downloaded. I want
    > > convert it from avi format, but Windows Media Player should be able to
    > > play
    > > avi movies. What should I do?

Video Codec AVI Format Windows XP