Whats the News On SATA 2 Drives any good ??

Whats the News On SATA 2 Drives any good ??

They have NCC Native command cueing. And soem other stuff.

I supppose i wouldneed a mobo that has that stuff built in to take
advantage of it. Though maybe a Addin card could do the same. I would
not mind haveing a SATA 2 drive in my system as they are less
expensive and thats allways good.

But only if it will be better and not just the same but still less
expensive.

Thanks.

/ps would an Addon card inclue all the benifits of Sata 2 ?

Bye.

Jill haoulder <43434.com.au> wrote:

> Whats the News On SATA 2 Drives any good ??
>

> They have NCC Native command cueing. And soem other stuff.
>

> I supppose i wouldneed a mobo that has that stuff built in to take
> advantage of it. Though maybe a Addin card could do the same. I would
> not mind haveing a SATA 2 drive in my system as they are less
> expensive and thats allways good.
>
> But only if it will be better and not just the same but still less
> expensive.
>
> Thanks.
>
> /ps would an Addon card inclue all the benifits of Sata 2 ?

If it is one that has all the benefits then yes, it would. You need to read
the docs.

In the real world you'll find that SATA2 and SATA1 are pretty much the same
in performance.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"Jill haoulder" <43434.com.au> wrote in message

> Whats the News On SATA 2 Drives any good ??

They're good.

> They have NCC Native command cueing. And soem other stuff.
>

> I supppose i wouldneed a mobo that has that stuff built in to take
> advantage of it. Though maybe a Addin card could do the same. I would
> not mind haveing a SATA 2 drive in my system as they are less
> expensive and thats allways good.

They'll work fine on an SATA1 controller and run at full speed on a
workstation.

Jill haoulder <43434.com.au> wrote in message

> Whats the News On SATA 2 Drives any good ??

Sure, worthwhile improvement.

> They have NCC Native command cueing.

I doubt that would make much difference with most desktop systems.

> And soem other stuff.

> I supppose i wouldneed a mobo that has
> that stuff built in to take advantage of it.

Nope. Not in a practical sense.

> Though maybe a Addin card could do the same.

Yep.

> I would not mind haveing a SATA 2 drive in my system
> as they are less expensive and thats allways good.

> But only if it will be better

Yes, it is.

Ron Reaugh wrote:

> They'll work fine on an SATA1 controller and run at full speed on a
> workstation.

Do you mean you need a workstation computer with lots of memory
bandwidth and fast CPU(s) to take full advnatage of SATAII?

Simon Howson

"Simon Howson" <simonhowson@NOSPAMyahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> Ron Reaugh wrote:
>
> > They'll work fine on an SATA1 controller and run at full speed on a
> > workstation.
>
> Do you mean you need a workstation computer with lots of memory
> bandwidth and fast CPU(s) to take full advnatage of SATAII?

NO, any desktop.

SATA/SATA2 are interface specs and have little to do with the actual drive
speed. SATA2 HDs are not vastly better performing that SATA HDs in general.
Some SATA HDs may be faster than some SATA2 HDs. SATA2 HDs in a server
environemnt doing saturated small record random I/O AND exploiting the new
SATA2 command queuing will see improved performance over SATA. Those
conditions tend NOT to be present in single user workstations.

SATA II is still in its infancy stage, notice only a hand full of
controllers provide support for it. This is the norm. New Storage
technology is always lead by HDD manufacturers with launches, then
supported eventually by controller manufacturers.
Best to play the "wait and see" game.

SATA-2 controller/drives have been around for over a year.

For example, nForce4 and Intel ICH6/7, Seagate 7200.7.

Most gamer web sites are making idiotic claims WRT to SATA-2 definitions.

<mgmawji@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1119552330.062976.253430@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> SATA II is still in its infancy stage, notice only a hand full of
> controllers provide support for it. This is the norm. New Storage
> technology is always lead by HDD manufacturers with launches, then
> supported eventually by controller manufacturers.
> Best to play the "wait and see" game.

<mgmawji@gmail.com> wrote in message
> SATA II is still in its infancy stage, notice only a hand full of
> controllers provide support for it. This is the norm. New Storage
> technology is always lead by HDD manufacturers with launches, then
> supported eventually by controller manufacturers.
> Best to play the "wait and see" game.

How long did you wait between Ultra2 SCSI and U160 SCSI? The situation is
similar.