Linksys WUSB11 ver 2.6 driver issue

Hi, I've recently changed my PC and I am trying to re-set up my home
wireless network. (Ad hoc setup, with USB modem on host machine and
Linksys WUSB11 wireless adaptors on other two machines.)

However, when I come to install my WUSB11 wireless adapter on my (new)
host PC (running Windows XP SP1), Windows automatically installs the
driver without me intervening. It appears to find the driver from its
in-built collection and I can't make it get the driver from the CD or
any other location of my choosing.

Unfortunately, the driver that it installs does not appear to work
properly - it is also a much later version (4.10.9.428)than that
available from Linksys (2.10.37.2037). With this later driver
installed file sharing is possible, but other PCs cannot access the
internet. The driver that Windows installs is called "vnetusbl.sys".

I have tried to use Update Driver from Device Manager but Windows
"insists" that the driver it is already using is the latest and best.

I have also tried renaming "vnetusbl.sys" to "vnetusbl.old" but
Windows recreates the sys file.

I have also tried updating to XP SP2 but it made no difference.

I didn't have this problem on my last PC which also used XP SP1.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks and regards, Roger
5 answers Last reply
More about linksys wusb11 driver issue

    "R Parker" <parker_roger@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2b549d26.0409040542.6779113e@posting.google.com...
    > I have tried to use Update Driver from Device Manager but Windows
    > "insists" that the driver it is already using is the latest and best.

    Windows has a way to check if the update is newer, or better match for
    your device. If this check fails, this means that:
    the new driver does not have a proper digital signature (should not be if it is really from Linksys),
    or is older version than the current driver, or is just not suitable for this model.
    Please ask Linksys support for exact link to the update file and exact, step by step procedure.

    --PA

    Thanks - I've emailed Linksys and I will await their reply.

    However, I am attempting to use a genuine Linksys driver from the
    original CD that I received with the adapter (and which worked on my
    previous PC).

    Do you know anything about the file that Windows has chosen as the
    driver ("vnetsubl.sys"). I didn't get any hits for this on Google or
    Microsoft.

    Regards, Roger

    "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com> wrote in message news:<uwEDBgokEHA.2340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > "R Parker" <parker_roger@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2b549d26.0409040542.6779113e@posting.google.com...
    > > I have tried to use Update Driver from Device Manager but Windows
    > > "insists" that the driver it is already using is the latest and best.
    >
    > Windows has a way to check if the update is newer, or better match for
    > your device. If this check fails, this means that:
    > the new driver does not have a proper digital signature (should not be if it is really from Linksys),
    > or is older version than the current driver, or is just not suitable for this model.
    > Please ask Linksys support for exact link to the update file and exact, step by step procedure.
    >
    > --PA

    I vaguely remember running into a similar problem long ago. There is a
    way to force Windows to install any driver you wish.

    IIRC, with the device installed, as you step through the Update Driver
    Wizard, uncheck anything that allows Windows to look for a driver and
    check things that say I'll do it myself and I'll tell Windows where to look.

    Lance
    *****

    "Lance" <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message news:O5TkIw1kEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > I vaguely remember running into a similar problem long ago. There is a
    > way to force Windows to install any driver you wish.
    >
    > IIRC, with the device installed, as you step through the Update Driver
    > Wizard, uncheck anything that allows Windows to look for a driver and
    > check things that say I'll do it myself and I'll tell Windows where to look.

    Correct :)

    --PA

    Lance - Thanks very much. Based on your advice I've managed to force
    Windows to use the driver of my choice. Still a few other problems to
    sort out but this is a very big step forward.

    Regards, Roger

    Lance <lltbhill@link_earth.net> wrote in message news:<O5TkIw1kEHA.3968@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>...
    > I vaguely remember running into a similar problem long ago. There is a
    > way to force Windows to install any driver you wish.
    >
    > IIRC, with the device installed, as you step through the Update Driver
    > Wizard, uncheck anything that allows Windows to look for a driver and
    > check things that say I'll do it myself and I'll tell Windows where to look.
    >
    > Lance
    > *****
    >
    > R Parker thought carefully and wrote on 9/4/2004 6:42 AM:
    >
    > > Hi, I've recently changed my PC and I am trying to re-set up my home
    > > wireless network. (Ad hoc setup, with USB modem on host machine and
    > > Linksys WUSB11 wireless adaptors on other two machines.)
    > >
    > > However, when I come to install my WUSB11 wireless adapter on my (new)
    > > host PC (running Windows XP SP1), Windows automatically installs the
    > > driver without me intervening. It appears to find the driver from its
    > > in-built collection and I can't make it get the driver from the CD or
    > > any other location of my choosing.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately, the driver that it installs does not appear to work
    > > properly - it is also a much later version (4.10.9.428)than that
    > > available from Linksys (2.10.37.2037). With this later driver
    > > installed file sharing is possible, but other PCs cannot access the
    > > internet. The driver that Windows installs is called "vnetusbl.sys".
    > >
    > > I have tried to use Update Driver from Device Manager but Windows
    > > "insists" that the driver it is already using is the latest and best.
    > >
    > > I have also tried renaming "vnetusbl.sys" to "vnetusbl.old" but
    > > Windows recreates the sys file.
    > >
    > > I have also tried updating to XP SP2 but it made no difference.
    > >
    > > I didn't have this problem on my last PC which also used XP SP1.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks and regards, Roger

Linksys Wireless Networking