Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No power to Hard Drive

Last response: in Storage
Share
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 20, 2005 7:55:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Hi All,
I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason no longer
powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping power cables, checking
connections, etc etc) but no power (you can usually feel harddrives
spinning if you keep your hand on them), this drive is my C drive :-(,
so any advice on getting it to power up?, besides buying an identical
drive and swapping the PCB's?
Help would be much appreciated!

Ta

Paul

More about : power hard drive

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 20, 2005 4:20:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Previously PaulPlayer@hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason no longer
> powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping power cables, checking
> connections, etc etc) but no power (you can usually feel harddrives
> spinning if you keep your hand on them), this drive is my C drive :-(,
> so any advice on getting it to power up?, besides buying an identical
> drive and swapping the PCB's?
> Help would be much appreciated!

Try professional data ecovery if you don't have backups. (Not having
backups is expensive...) Otherwiese RMA or discard the drive.

Arno
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 20, 2005 9:57:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119264912.314393.85030@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> Hi All,
> I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason no longer
> powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping power cables, checking
> connections, etc etc) but no power (you can usually feel harddrives
> spinning if you keep your hand on them), this drive is my C drive :-(,
> so any advice on getting it to power up?, besides buying an identical
> drive and swapping the PCB's?

Have you tried the HD in another PC? I assume you tried a different ATA
cable? Run the mfg's diagnostics.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 21, 2005 4:49:30 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Rod Speed wrote:
> <PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1119264912.314393.85030@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> > I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason
> > no longer powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping
> > power cables, checking connections, etc etc) but no power
>
> Try it with just the power connected and see if it shows any sign of life.

Nothing :-(

>
> > besides buying an identical drive and swapping the PCB's?
>
> That normally doesnt work with drives of that age.
>

I am serious contemplanting this, if I buy an indentical model/size
drive why wouldn't swapping the PCB's work? (I was going to order one
today).

The funny thing about backups is, I started my machine the day before
and kicked off a backup, but the backup timer said 15 hours and so I
aborted to kick it off earlier the next day (the day it didn't power on
:-( ).

If these "data recovery places" can get the data back surely its
possible for me too?,

I was hoping for an answer like "Ohh there is a small fuse you can
replace this will fix everything" sort of answer... :-)...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 21, 2005 8:40:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119264912.314393.85030@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

> I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason
> no longer powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping
> power cables, checking connections, etc etc) but no power

Try it with just the power connected and see if it shows any sign of life.

> (you can usually feel harddrives spinning if you keep your hand on them),

Correct, and that's the best approach with the quieter drives.

> this drive is my C drive :-(,

> so any advice on getting it to power up?,

If it doesnt power up with just the power connected, she's dead Jim.

> besides buying an identical drive and swapping the PCB's?

That normally doesnt work with drives of that age.

> Help would be much appreciated!

Pro recovery is the best approach if you must have the data.

You'd better be sitting down when you see the price tho.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 21, 2005 12:33:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119340170.879000.168940@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Rod Speed wrote:
> > <PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:1119264912.314393.85030@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> >
> > > I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason
> > > no longer powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping
> > > power cables, checking connections, etc etc) but no power
> >
> > Try it with just the power connected and see if it shows any sign of
life.
>
> Nothing :-(


If the power cable and power are good the the drive is DOA.

> > > besides buying an identical drive and swapping the PCB's?
> >
> > That normally doesnt work with drives of that age.
> >
>
> I am serious contemplanting this, if I buy an indentical model/size
> drive why wouldn't swapping the PCB's work? (I was going to order one
> today).


Some have success there but the attempt is ambitious and you should be
prepared for failure. Each failed attempt may make things more difficult to
recover.

> The funny thing about backups is, I started my machine the day before
> and kicked off a backup, but the backup timer said 15 hours and so I
> aborted to kick it off earlier the next day (the day it didn't power on
> :-( ).
>
> If these "data recovery places" can get the data back surely its
> possible for me too?,

If Intel can build nice CPUs then I ought to be able to build nice ones too.
And I CAN. Now let's go find a few nice investors and I'd be comfortable
starting with 1.5E10$. I'll call billy.

> I was hoping for an answer like "Ohh there is a small fuse you can
> replace this will fix everything" sort of answer... :-)...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 21, 2005 11:37:06 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

<PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1119340170.879000.168940@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Rod Speed wrote
>> <PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason
>>> no longer powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping
>>> power cables, checking connections, etc etc) but no power

>> Try it with just the power connected and see if it shows any sign of life.

> Nothing :-(

She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ? :-(

>>> besides buying an identical drive and swapping the PCB's?

>> That normally doesnt work with drives of that age.

> I am serious contemplanting this, if I buy an indentical
> model/size drive why wouldn't swapping the PCB's work?

Basically because the bad list is usually in nvram on the logic card.

> (I was going to order one today).

I cant recall anyone saying its worked with drives that recent.
Even with brand new drives with consecutive serial numbers.

> The funny thing about backups is, I started my machine
> the day before and kicked off a backup, but the backup
>timer said 15 hours and so I aborted to kick it off earlier
> the next day (the day it didn't power on :-( ).

A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself |-)

> If these "data recovery places" can get the
> data back surely its possible for me too?,

You dont have what they use.

> I was hoping for an answer like "Ohh there is a small fuse
> you can replace this will fix everything" sort of answer... :-)...

Fraid not.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 21, 2005 11:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3hq5e6Fhth1qU2@individual.net
> <PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1119340170.879000.168940@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Rod Speed wrote
> > > <PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> > > > I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason
> > > > no longer powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping
> > > > power cables, checking connections, etc etc) but no power
>
> > > Try it with just the power connected and see if it shows any sign of life.
>
> > Nothing :-(
>
> She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ? :-(
>
> > > > besides buying an identical drive and swapping the PCB's?
>
> > > That normally doesnt work with drives of that age.
>
> > I am serious contemplating this, if I buy an identical
> > model/size drive why wouldn't swapping the PCB's work?
>

> Basically because the bad list is usually in nvram on the logic card.

Which would give you a working (but with bad sectors) drive,
so obviously not.

>
> > (I was going to order one today).
>
> I cant recall anyone saying its worked with drives that recent.

That's because you say it won't work, beforehand, so nobody tries.

> Even with brand new drives with consecutive serial numbers.
>
> > The funny thing about backups is, I started my machine
> > the day before and kicked off a backup, but the backup
> > timer said 15 hours and so I aborted to kick it off earlier
> > the next day (the day it didn't power on :-( ).
>
> A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself |-)

Some of wish you were a Jap.
(Oh, and may I remind you of your promise).

>
> > If these "data recovery places" can get the
> > data back surely its possible for me too?,
>
> You dont have what they use.
>
> > I was hoping for an answer like "Ohh there is a small fuse
> > you can replace this will fix everything" sort of answer... :-)...
>
> Fraid not.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 21, 2005 11:37:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:3hq5e6Fhth1qU2@individual.net...
>
> <PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1119340170.879000.168940@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> > Rod Speed wrote
> >> <PaulPlayer@hotmail.com> wrote
>
> >>> I've got a Maxtor DiamondMad Plus 9 that for some reason
> >>> no longer powers up, I've tried all the obvious (swapping
> >>> power cables, checking connections, etc etc) but no power
>
> >> Try it with just the power connected and see if it shows any sign of
life.
>
> > Nothing :-(
>
> She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ? :-(
>
> >>> besides buying an identical drive and swapping the PCB's?
>
> >> That normally doesnt work with drives of that age.
>
> > I am serious contemplanting this, if I buy an indentical
> > model/size drive why wouldn't swapping the PCB's work?
>
> Basically because the bad list is usually in nvram on the logic card.


Nope, usually most the firmware and such lists are recorded on the disk's
surface. NVRAM is from what geriatric archive?

> > (I was going to order one today).
>
> I cant recall anyone saying its worked with drives that recent.

Take Folic acid.

> Even with brand new drives with consecutive serial numbers.
>
> > The funny thing about backups is, I started my machine
> > the day before and kicked off a backup, but the backup
> >timer said 15 hours and so I aborted to kick it off earlier
> > the next day (the day it didn't power on :-( ).
>
> A Jap would at least have the decency to disembowel itself |-)

A what? This speedo needs to be exorcised.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 22, 2005 7:32:35 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Puerile attempt at a troll flushed where it belongs.

Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in message
news:42b82ca3$0$76394$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net...
!