Setting up 2 PC's to share drive

I've got to move a large amount of data from one PC to another so we
can burn picture CD's.

I'm assuming that I'll need router and a pair of network cables to
accomplish this. Is this correct?

Also, what are the steps that I ahve to go through to establish the
connection and to share the source drive?

Thanks!

peter

> I've got to move a large amount of data from one PC to another so we
> can burn picture CD's.
>
> I'm assuming that I'll need router and a pair of network cables to
> accomplish this. Is this correct?
>
> Also, what are the steps that I ahve to go through to establish the
> connection and to share the source drive?

Both computers need to have a network interface.
You just need a crossover cable.

Instructions depend on OS-es installed on both PCs.

On 20 Jun 2005 13:23:00 -0700, "byrocat" <bdealhoy@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>I've got to move a large amount of data from one PC to another so we
>can burn picture CD's.
>
>I'm assuming that I'll need router and a pair of network cables to
>accomplish this. Is this correct?

A hub is usually cheaper and will be fine if you don't plan to conenct
them to the internet.

>Also, what are the steps that I ahve to go through to establish the
>connection and to share the source drive?

Depends on the OS you have but usually it's a matter of setting a
shared permission on the target drive and then looking it up on the
destionation PC via network link in Explorer. If you use XP, us the
network wizard to set both PC with names and connections and then look
for the hard drive (via My Computer icon on your desktop) you want to
share, right-click and click on sharing and security. Enable sharing.

"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
> On 20 Jun 2005 13:23:00 -0700, "byrocat" <bdealhoy@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >I've got to move a large amount of data from one PC to another so we
> >can burn picture CD's.
> >
> >I'm assuming that I'll need router and a pair of network cables to
> >accomplish this. Is this correct?
>
> A hub is usually cheaper and will be fine if you don't plan to conenct
> them to the internet.

No hub , switch or router is needed but just a ccross-over LAN cable and for
many late model NICs even a cross-over isn't needed.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

wrote:

>I've got to move a large amount of data from one PC to another so we
>can burn picture CD's.

>I'm assuming that I'll need router and a pair of network cables to
>accomplish this. Is this correct?

You can get by with just a crossover cable. That's a special cable you
can get at the computer store.

>Also, what are the steps that I ahve to go through to establish the
>connection and to share the source drive?

You did not specify the operating system, so I will assume Windows 2K
or XP. Personally I would use Win2K because it's easier to configure.
Just be sure to get Service Pack 4 from Microsoft after you install
it.

As you install Win2K you will get to a point where the installer will
ask you if you are on a network. Tell the installer you are on a
peer-to-peer network, which is also called a "WORKGROUP". Do not
install for the option having to do with a DOMAIN, as that requires a
Win2K Server which you do not need to fool with.

At some point you will have to choose your IP address. Although you
can pick just about anything since you are not going to connect to the
Internet, I would recommend you stick with the traditional
"non-routable" IP addresses. The most common range is
192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255. The first three bytes are fixed - the last
byte is what you choose to designate the address of a particular
machine.

You want to pick the last byte carefully, as some of the values are
reserved - for example the last byte = 1 is usually reserved for the
router gateway, which you do not have now but might want to set up
some day, and 255 is reserved for broadcast. I recommend you choose
192.168.1.10 for one machine and 192.168.1.20 for the other.

You don't have a gateway to the Internet, so you can skip the part
about DNS. Just tell Win2K that you are providing the IP address so
you won't be using DHCP. Then insert the IP address and click on the
mask and it will fill in automatically.

I recommend that you create a new user so you won't be using the
Administrator account. There are some security issues in Win2K
associated with using the Administrator account. But make sure that
you enable the new user with Administrator privileges. You will also
need to create users/permissions for the other machine. Go to Control
Panel > Users and Passwords and set up the remote user account.

Now that you have the two machines connected together with the
crossover cable and Win2K is running, go to one of them and set up the
share for the other. Go to Windows Explorer, highlight the C: drive,
right click and click on either Sharing or Properties > Sharing. If
you want you can share only the directory that contains the files you
will work with. But since security is not an issue you just as well
share out the entire C: drive.

Rename the share getting rid of any "$" (which hides the name on other
machines). Use the simple name "C-DRIVE" (without quotes, of course).
Now permission it for the remote user on the other machine. You can
access the shared drive by using the hardcoded IP address and drive
name:

\\192.168.1.20\ (notice the double backslash).

in Network Places, which is on the Desktop. Give it some time to
browse the network and establish the connection. Finally you will get
the usual window with the shares enumerated. You can treat those
objects as though they are on your machine.

If all this is foreign to you, then I recommend going to the bookstore
(Barnes and Noble) and getting a primer on setting up Windows
networking.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"

hi ,

if you have a good scsi-equipment you can use one drive at two
controllers . nice option !

In article <1119298980.481348.196220@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
bdealhoy@sympatico.ca says...

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<--@

byrocat <bdealhoy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> I've got to move a large amount of data from
> one PC to another so we can burn picture CD's.

> I'm assuming that I'll need router and a pair of
> network cables to accomplish this. Is this correct?

Nope, no router is necessary.

> Also, what are the steps that I ahve to go through to
> establish the connection and to share the source drive?

The simplest approach is to just network the two PCs
and then burn using that config. I normally just burn
directly over the lan, so have the burner on one PC
and quite a bit of the time the files going on the CDs
are coming from another PC on the lan. That works fine.

You can just copy the files across the lan to the PC with
the burner on it before you burn a particular CD too.

As far as networking the PCs is concerned, it can be as
easy as just plugging a crossover cable between the PCs.

Going the router route works fine too. Just plug
the PCs into the router and carry on regardless.
You can just use a switch or hub too.

Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> byrocat <bdealhoy@sympatico.ca> wrote

>> I've got to move a large amount of data from
>> one PC to another so we can burn picture CD's.

>> I'm assuming that I'll need router and a pair of
>> network cables to accomplish this. Is this correct?

> You can get by with just a crossover cable. That's
> a special cable you can get at the computer store.

>> Also, what are the steps that I ahve to go through to
>> establish the connection and to share the source drive?

> You did not specify the operating system, so I will assume Windows 2K
> or XP. Personally I would use Win2K because it's easier to configure.

No it isnt with that level of networking.

> Just be sure to get Service Pack 4 from Microsoft after you install it.

> As you install Win2K

He isnt going to be doing that, whatever OS is being used is already installed.

> you will get to a point where the installer will ask you if you
> are on a network. Tell the installer you are on a peer-to-peer
> network, which is also called a "WORKGROUP". Do not install
> for the option having to do with a DOMAIN, as that requires a
> Win2K Server which you do not need to fool with.

> At some point you will have to choose your IP address.

Nope, you can use the dhcp default.

> Although you can pick just about anything since you are
> not going to connect to the Internet, I would recommend
> you stick with the traditional "non-routable" IP addresses.

You dont know whether either PC is connected to the net or not.

> The most common range is 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.255.
> The first three bytes are fixed - the last byte is what you
> choose to designate the address of a particular machine.

> You want to pick the last byte carefully, as some
> of the values are reserved - for example the last
> byte = 1 is usually reserved for the router gateway,

Wrong.

> which you do not have now but might want to set up some day,
> and 255 is reserved for broadcast. I recommend you choose
> 192.168.1.10 for one machine and 192.168.1.20 for the other.

> You don't have a gateway to the Internet, so you can skip the
> part about DNS. Just tell Win2K that you are providing the IP
> address so you won't be using DHCP. Then insert the IP
> address and click on the mask and it will fill in automatically.

Awful lot of farting around compared with the XP wizard.

> I recommend that you create a new user so you won't be using the
> Administrator account. There are some security issues in Win2K
> associated with using the Administrator account. But make sure that
> you enable the new user with Administrator privileges. You will also
> need to create users/permissions for the other machine. Go to Control
> Panel > Users and Passwords and set up the remote user account.

Awful lot of farting around compared with XP simple file sharing.

> Now that you have the two machines connected together with the
> crossover cable and Win2K is running, go to one of them and set
> up the share for the other. Go to Windows Explorer, highlight the
> C: drive, right click and click on either Sharing or Properties > Sharing.
> If you want you can share only the directory that contains the files
> you will work with. But since security is not an issue you just as
> well share out the entire C: drive.

> Rename the share getting rid of any "$" (which hides the name on other
> machines). Use the simple name "C-DRIVE" (without quotes, of course).
> Now permission it for the remote user on the other machine. You can
> access the shared drive by using the hardcoded IP address and drive
> name:

> \\192.168.1.20\ (notice the double backslash).

> in Network Places, which is on the Desktop.

Or just browse the network and see both PCs by name.

> Give it some time to browse the network and establish the connection.
> Finally you will get the usual window with the shares enumerated.
> You can treat those objects as though they are on your machine.

Bet he doesnt know what that means.

> If all this is foreign to you, then I recommend
> going to the bookstore (Barnes and Noble) and
> getting a primer on setting up Windows networking.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to use one of the simple
primers on the net. Not that you need one with XP networking.

wolfgang schneider <schnusi@gmx.net> wrote in message

> if you have a good scsi-equipment you can use
> one drive at two controllers . nice option !

Hell of a lot simpler to use a crossover cable between the PCs.

In article <3hq56bFi7i0tU2@individual.net>, rod_speed@yahoo.com says...

> > who says he has the nics ?
>
> Costs peanuts to add one if he doesnt.

two are needed and cable ( yes , still low cost ) .

a scsi-cluster costs nothing if he/she has the needed equipment ( scsi
in both machines ) , and it has the highest performance and security !

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<--@

wolfgang schneider wrote:

> In article <3hq56bFi7i0tU2@individual.net>, rod_speed@yahoo.com says...
>>
>> > who says he has the nics ?
>>
>> Costs peanuts to add one if he doesnt.
>>

> two are needed and cable ( yes , still low cost ) .
>
> a scsi-cluster costs nothing if he/she has the needed equipment ( scsi
> in both machines ) , and it has the highest performance and security !

Wolfgang, what are you smoking?

The guy asks what he needs beside cables to hook a couple of machines
together, he doesn't have enough experience to get Ethernet going and a
drive shared without handholding, and you go off about esoteric hardware
that nobody but datacenters and hardcore hobbyists are likely to have,
that's a challenge for even an experienced administrator to set up so that
it works reliably.

As for "the highest performance and security", there is no disk on the
market that can saturate Gigabit Ethernet, which you can find on sale at
Staples for 25 bucks or so, so the performance is moot, and with two
machines sitting on a table with a 6-foot crossover cable between them,
you'd do better to lock the door and clean your gun than dink with the
computers if you think that there's a security issue.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

"wolfgang schneider" <schnusi@gmx.net> wrote in message news:MPG.1d222ecd9d53f556989717@news.individual.de
> In article <3hq56bFi7i0tU2@individual.net>, rod_speed@yahoo.com says...
> >
> > > who says he has the nics ?
> >
> > Costs peanuts to add one if he doesn't.
> >

> two are needed and cable ( yes , still low cost ) .
>
> a scsi-cluster costs nothing if he/she has the needed equipment ( scsi
> in both machines ) ,

Yeah, SCSI cables obviously are for free.

In article <3hr16lFiccbpU1@individual.net>, rod_speed@yahoo.com says...

> In fact much cheaper than laplink.

direct connections as a part of os usually are for free .

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<--@

In article <d99o3q11tj6@news4.newsguy.com>,
jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...

> Wolfgang, what are you smoking?

cigars and i wanted to have the last word after rod speed :)

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<--@

> jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...

>> Wolfgang, what are you smoking?

> cigars and i wanted to have the last word after rod speed :)

Well you cant.

> --
> gruss , wolfgang

And stop growling, fido or it will be the boot for you.

> ---<--@
> gravity still lives

Lie.

In article <3hrno9Fhr9rsU2@individual.net>, rod_speed@yahoo.com says...

> wolfgang schneider <schnusi@gmx.net> wrote in message
> > jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid says...
>
> >> Wolfgang, what are you smoking?
>
> > cigars and i wanted to have the last word after rod speed :)
>
> Well you cant.

seems so .

> > --
> > gruss , wolfgang
>
> And stop growling, fido or it will be the boot for you.
>
> > ---<--@
> > gravity still lives
>
> Lie.

bs , true .

--
gruss , wolfgang
---<--@

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:41:13 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>> byrocat <bdealhoy@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>>> Also, what are the steps that I have to go through to
>>> establish the connection and to share the source drive?

>Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message

>> At some point you will have to choose your IP address.

"Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Nope, you can use the dhcp default.

This is typical Rod Speed troll bullshit. He just loves to pontificate
on matters he has no experience or knowledge of. If you pay any
attention to this village idiot, then you are one of his sock puppets.

If you connect two Windows workstations using a crossover cable you
must set up TCP/IP with static IP addresses. The reason is because
there is no DHCP server in Windows workstations.

To make sure I asked the Microsoft networking forum. Here's the
dialog:

+++
>I want to connect two Win2K machines together using a crossover cable.

> Must I set up networking using a static IP address or does Win2K Pro
> SP4 have built in DHCP?

Windows 2000 Pro does not have a DHCP server, you'll need to use
static addressing to be sure it will work correctly.
+++

Where's the DHCP server, Rod boy?

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"

peter

> If you connect two Windows workstations using a crossover cable you
> must set up TCP/IP with static IP addresses. The reason is because
> there is no DHCP server in Windows workstations.

While true in Win2K Pro, WinXP has TCP/IP Autoconfiguration
enabled by default. No need for static IP addresses in WinXP, that
is less work for setup. Machines will get 169.254.x.y IPs automatically.

Bob wrote:

<snip>

> From a Microsoft networking forum:
> "Windows 2000 Pro does not have a DHCP server, you'll need to use
> static addressing to be sure it will work correctly."
>
>>AND THE OP ISNT RUNNING 2K ANYWAY.
>
> My discussion centered around running Win2K.
>
> Idiot.

Pot, kettle. In this case you are the one who looks like an idiot to anyone
who has more than superficial acquaintance with Windows 2000 networking.

You might want to read
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;234815#appliesto>.
Note the part about "DHCP Allocator - A simplified DHCP service that
assigns the IP address, gateway, and name server on the local network."
You might also refer your informant to this. The fact that someone posts
messages on a "Microsoft networking forum" doesn't mean that he has a clue.
Hell, Rod can post to a Microsoft networking forum and for all you know he
was the one who gave you the misinformation.

--

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 10:41:13 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

>>Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
>
>>> At some point you will have to choose your IP address.
>
> "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Nope, you can use the dhcp default.
>
> This is typical Rod Speed troll bullshit. He just loves to pontificate
> on matters he has no experience or knowledge of. If you pay any
> attention to this village idiot, then you are one of his sock puppets.
>
> If you connect two Windows workstations using a crossover cable you
> must set up TCP/IP with static IP addresses. The reason is because
> there is no DHCP server in Windows workstations.
>
> To make sure I asked the Microsoft networking forum. Here's the
> dialog:
>
> +++
>>I want to connect two Win2K machines together using a crossover cable.
>
>> Must I set up networking using a static IP address or does Win2K Pro
>> SP4 have built in DHCP?
>
> Windows 2000 Pro does not have a DHCP server, you'll need to use
> static addressing to be sure it will work correctly.
> +++
>
> Where's the DHCP server, Rod boy?

In 2K, you stupid pig ignorant pathetically senile silly old fart.
http://www.clubs.mq.edu.au/mits/Downloads/TCP-IP%20for%20Windows%202000.pdf
bottom of page 8.

Read it and weep, again.

And the OP isnt even running 2K anyway, stupid pig ignorant pathetically senile
silly old fart.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 03:11:01 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod_speed@yahoo.com>
wrote:

From a Microsoft newtorking forum:
>> Windows 2000 Pro does not have a DHCP server, you'll need to use
>> static addressing to be sure it will work correctly.

>> Where's the DHCP server, Rod boy?

>In 2K, you stupid pig ignorant pathetically senile silly old fart.
>http://www.clubs.mq.edu.au/mits/Downloads/TCP-IP%20for%20Windows%202000.pdf
>bottom of page 8.

LOL. That assumes there is a DHCP server on the network. Connecting 2
Windows workstations with a crossover cable does not provide a DHCP
service. Idiot.

If the best you can come up with is an outdated dated high school
primer from May 2001, you are truly pathetic.

>Read it and weep, again.

How pathetic does it get for you. Astute readers are not going to buy
your inane bullshit. The Gentle Reader has been adequately warned.
Only your sock puppets will support your moronic behavior. Idiot.

>And the OP isnt even running 2K anyway, stupid pig ignorant pathetically senile
>silly old fart.

My discussion was centered on Win2K as an example. Idiot.

Anyway, idiot, your reference above was about Win2K networking.

--

Peter wrote:

>> > Where's the DHCP server, Rod boy?
>>
>> In 2K,

http://www.clubs.mq.edu.au/mits/Downloads/TCP-IP%20for%20Windows%202000.pdf
>> bottom of page 8.
>
> Which words made you conclude that?

When did Microsoft remove Internet Connection Sharing from Windows 2000?
Regardless of what anyone on some Microsoft newsgroup says, ICS does
provide a DHCP server and should be quite adequate for setting up two
machines.

There's a procedure for setting it up at
<http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/ics>.

--

Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

>> If you connect two Windows workstations using a crossover cable
>> you must set up TCP/IP with static IP addresses. The reason is
>> because there is no DHCP server in Windows workstations.

> While true in Win2K Pro,

Fraid not.

> WinXP has TCP/IP Autoconfiguration enabled by default.
> No need for static IP addresses in WinXP, that is less work
> for setup. Machines will get 169.254.x.y IPs automatically.

Just as true of 2K too.
http://www.safshari.com/w2stcpipinstal.html