SIMPLE backup software

A non-techie friend has bought an external hard drive, but didn't
realize she needs backup software, too. I use Ghost, but I think it's
too complicated and she'll never use it. So what else should I suggest.
Remember, the emphasis is on SIMPLICITY. Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about simple backup software

    jmhiggins@gmail.com wrote:

    > A non-techie friend has bought an external hard drive, but didn't
    > realize she needs backup software, too. I use Ghost, but I think it's
    > too complicated and she'll never use it. So what else should I suggest.
    > Remember, the emphasis is on SIMPLICITY. Thanks

    Well, there's Windows Backup.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    TrueImage www.acronis.com

    > A non-techie friend has bought an external hard drive, but didn't
    > realize she needs backup software, too. I use Ghost, but I think it's
    > too complicated and she'll never use it. So what else should I suggest.
    > Remember, the emphasis is on SIMPLICITY. Thanks

    Answer depends on backup user requirements, current hardware
    and operating system. Provide more details - you will get more
    accurate response.

    jmhiggins@gmail.com wrote:

    > A non-techie friend has bought an external hard drive, but didn't
    > realize she needs backup software, too. I use Ghost, but I think it's
    > too complicated and she'll never use it. So what else should I suggest.
    > Remember, the emphasis is on SIMPLICITY. Thanks

    If you bought a maxtor/wd external, they should come with their own
    backup software that can be automated or tied to start with the press of
    the HD case button.

    Otherwise, if you bought a simpletech drive, there's storagesync free
    (http://www.simpletech.com/commercial/storagesync/index.php) (actually,
    the free version works with any external drive I've tested!)

    Ghost is pretty simple, IMO, but if you want an alternative that's
    automated, Acronis will do fine as well
    (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

    ---

    You can also create DOS batch scripts that'll do it just fine as well.

    Simply drop in a command to delete all of the old files in the external
    drive letter, then xcopy every file from your HD to the external one.

    It won't let you restore a bootable drive like Ghost or Acronis, but it
    will backup all of the important files you use.

    If she only puts things on her desktop or My Documents folder, you can
    simply do a script that'll backup just those two alone - and drop a icon
    shortcut to the desktop for her to click on.

    =)

    David Chien <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
    > jmhiggins@gmail.com wrote:

    >> A non-techie friend has bought an external hard drive, but didn't
    >> realize she needs backup software, too. I use Ghost, but I think it's too
    >> complicated and she'll never use it. So what else should I suggest. Remember,
    >> the emphasis is on SIMPLICITY. Thanks

    > If you bought a maxtor/wd external, they should come with their own backup
    > software that can be automated or tied to start with the press of the HD case
    > button.

    > Otherwise, if you bought a simpletech drive, there's storagesync free
    > (http://www.simpletech.com/commercial/storagesync/index.php) (actually, the
    > free version works with any external drive I've tested!)

    > Ghost is pretty simple, IMO,

    Only if nothing goes wrong. Its a dog if it doesnt go as it should and
    all symantec products can be quite buggy, they release them too early.

    Particularly with automated incremental backup, Ghost
    isnt really a product thats suitable for that level of user.

    > but if you want an alternative that's automated, Acronis will do fine as well
    > (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

    > You can also create DOS batch scripts that'll do it just fine as well.

    Again, not suitable for that level of user.

    > Simply drop in a command to delete all of the old files in the external drive
    > letter, then xcopy every file from your HD to the external one.

    > It won't let you restore a bootable drive like Ghost or Acronis, but it will
    > backup all of the important files you use.

    > If she only puts things on her desktop or My Documents folder, you can simply
    > do a script that'll backup just those two alone - and drop a icon shortcut to
    > the desktop for her to click on.

    Dangerous if she manages to save it somewhere else unintentionally.

    >>Ghost is pretty simple, IMO,
    >
    > Only if nothing goes wrong. Its a dog if it doesnt go as it should and
    > all symantec products can be quite buggy, they release them too early.
    >
    > Particularly with automated incremental backup, Ghost
    > isnt really a product thats suitable for that level of user.

    (Ghost 9 isn't the best product on the planet, IMO. I prefer
    off-line backups - here, the Ghost 2003, included with Ghost 9, is the
    best program IMO. Has never failed to do it for me, and a simple verify
    after write after making a CD-R backup has always worked fine for me.)

    Hm, how about GoBack? or RAID? Seems if you want something that's
    'idiot proof', you really have to think things through and plan
    something more sophisticated.

    another link I found that reviews simple-to-use backup software:
    http://www.backup-software-reviews.com/

    ---

    Windows also has it's own built-in schedulable backup software:
    http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/Windows/Windows_XP_Backups/
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309340

    Although the restore process may be too much for her, once the
    setup of the backup is fixed, it runs automatically w/o her intervention
    (well, except she's got to have the power turned on on the external HD
    and connected).

    automatic should be simple enough for her?

    >>> jmhiggins@gmail.com wrote:

    >>> Ghost is pretty simple, IMO,

    >> Only if nothing goes wrong. Its a dog if it doesnt go as it should and
    >> all symantec products can be quite buggy, they release them too early.

    >> Particularly with automated incremental backup, Ghost
    >> isnt really a product thats suitable for that level of user.

    > (Ghost 9 isn't the best product on the planet, IMO.

    In fact it would have to be one of the
    worst of the mainstream products currently

    > I prefer off-line backups - here, the Ghost 2003, included with Ghost 9, is
    > the best program IMO.

    Its still got real problems for that level of user.

    The main problem is when image creation fails. It makes its own
    temporary partition on the boot drive for the dos job and if the
    image creation at the dos level fails for whatever reason, the
    system wont boot anymore. Quite easy for an experienced user
    to manually delete that partition and have the system boot again,
    but thats not something that level of user will be able to handle.

    Its user interface leaves quite a bit to be desired too, particularly
    when restoring, and most users at that level have had to ask me
    how to actually do a restore when one becomes necessary.

    And no user at that level will ever be able to setup image creation
    to a drive on the lan when the nic isnt natively supported by ghost
    2003. Its a bit of a challenge even for an experienced user who
    doesnt realise that the best approach is to just use bart's network
    boot system and run ghost once that has booted the PC.

    > Has never failed to do it for me,

    It has for me. Not majorly, but then I know what I am doing.

    > and a simple verify after write after making a CD-R backup has always worked
    > fine for me.)

    Sure, but you arent that level of user. Neither am I.

    > Hm, how about GoBack?

    Yeah, its really that level of product thats
    more suitable for that level of user.

    > or RAID?

    The main problem with RAID is that it doesnt protect that
    level of user from the sort of problem that often does bite
    that level of user, a virus infection, user stupidity, deleting
    what they later do an uh-oh about, or stuff like running a
    very aggressive registry cleaner and later regretting that.

    And it doesnt protect against fire, theft, flood etc either.

    > Seems if you want something that's 'idiot proof', you really have to think
    > things through and plan something more sophisticated.

    That level of user isnt capable of doing that, which
    is why the OP was asking for suggestions on that.

    > another link I found that reviews simple-to-use backup software:
    > http://www.backup-software-reviews.com/

    Yes, that can be useful.

    > Windows also has it's own built-in schedulable backup software:
    > http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/Windows/Windows_XP_Backups/
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320820
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308422
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309340

    Sure, and that has already been suggested.

    > Although the restore process may be too much for her,

    Yeah, thats the main downside with that route.

    > once the setup of the backup is fixed, it runs automatically w/o her
    > intervention (well, except she's got to have the power turned on on the
    > external HD and connected).

    Yeah, tho I'd personally use one of the mainstream
    backup products that makes it easy for that level of
    user to do the restore unaided too.

    > automatic should be simple enough for her?

    Sure, thats certainly very desirable with that level of user.

    I'd personally use one of the mainstream commercial products
    and an external USB2 hard drive with automatic backup scheduling.
    Tho that route isnt ideal on the fire/theft/flood protection with that
    level of user. Even if you tell them that the drive should be
    physically removed offsite occasionally with two of them,
    you're likely to find that when the system does get stolen,
    they havent bothered to do that for months and months.

    > I'd personally use one of the mainstream commercial products
    > and an external USB2 hard drive with automatic backup scheduling.
    > Tho that route isnt ideal on the fire/theft/flood protection with that
    > level of user. Even if you tell them that the drive should be
    > physically removed offsite occasionally with two of them,
    > you're likely to find that when the system does get stolen,
    > they havent bothered to do that for months and months.

    That is true for any media, backup is stored to: external HD,
    tape, etc.
    And if you tell them that backup runs at 2:00am, they will
    turn system off every evening and turn it on in the morning.

    If someone doesn't care, there is nothing you can do.

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:00:31 -0400, "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >And if you tell them that backup runs at 2:00am, they will
    >turn system off every evening and turn it on in the morning.

    True Image will run at the next startup if the PC's turned off at the
    scheduled time if you've told it to.

    I used to always have it run at startup, but those times I needed the
    PC on for days in a row wouldn't have daily backups. I changed to a 3
    am schedule with a run-at-startup if it's missed, and this covers it
    either way.

    I also use Second Copy 2000 to copy my TI backups to a standalone
    network drive, and it runs the same way.

    >If someone doesn't care, there is nothing you can do.

    I have this set up for a number of non-techie friends, and it works
    fine for them. It's not that they don't care, it's that they don't
    understand - it's a fog to them. I've found TI to be the most
    idiot-proof backup system if it's set up carefully, except that it's
    not very good at alerting you when it hits a wall.

    Peter <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

    >> I'd personally use one of the mainstream commercial products
    >> and an external USB2 hard drive with automatic backup scheduling.
    >> Tho that route isnt ideal on the fire/theft/flood protection with that
    >> level of user. Even if you tell them that the drive should be
    >> physically removed offsite occasionally with two of them,
    >> you're likely to find that when the system does get stolen,
    >> they havent bothered to do that for months and months.

    > That is true for any media, backup is stored to: external HD, tape, etc.

    Sure, but its rather more intuitive with normal
    media like DVDs etc with that level of user.

    > And if you tell them that backup runs at 2:00am, they will
    > turn system off every evening and turn it on in the morning.

    Thats not hard to handle with a decent system that prevents
    the system being turned off if its got a job scheduled, or howls
    about the fact that it was off and the scheduled task couldnt
    be done when its turned on again after the scheduled event.

    > If someone doesn't care, there is nothing you can do.

    You can however prompt that level of user so its
    harder for them to stuff it up or get into bad habits.

    Thats just about universal now with anti virus software
    and the updates to the virus definitions. That level of
    user usually does get the message when hit over the
    head often enough that its not being done right.

    Its not rocket science.

    Acronis backup software
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/.It is a very
    convenient and simple program. I use it and its work fine. True image
    can create an image of any partition, disk clone and other useful
    things. Also, AFAIK, it compresses files stronger than other such
    products.

    Acronis backup software
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/.
    It is a very convenient and simple program. I use it and its work fine.
    True image can create an image of any partition, disk clone and other
    useful things. Also, AFAIK, it compresses files stronger than other
    such products.

Software Backup External Hard Drive Storage