How does Steam work with high speed dial up?

Tech question only. Not a debate about Steam. HISTRIONICS FROM
STEAMKILLER NOT WANTED AND WILL BE DELETED.

We may be moving into an area where there is no broadband. I play all
the Valve games on Steam. Anybody here play DOD and such online with
dial up? I have a screaming system. Will dial up support Steam for HL2?

Frode wrote:

> High speed dial up. Now that's an oxymoron if I ever saw one.

ISDN?
That's dialup afaik :)

You can bundle a couple of ISDN lines to get a decent download
I had two ISDN channels one which gave 128/128Kbps

Broadband eg ADSL is starting at 256/128 Kbps

Andrew

On 22 May 2005 01:24:09 -0700, "ivorybow" <ivorybow@yahoo.com> wrote:

>We may be moving into an area where there is no broadband. I play all
>the Valve games on Steam. Anybody here play DOD and such online with
>dial up? I have a screaming system. Will dial up support Steam for HL2?

Of course it will, it will just take longer to download updates and
your ping will be much noticeably higher in online games.

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Frode wrote:
>>
>> High speed dial up. Now that's an oxymoron if I ever saw one.
>>
> ISDN?
> That's dialup afaik :)
>
> You can bundle a couple of ISDN lines to get a decent download
> I had two ISDN channels one which gave 128/128Kbps
>
> Broadband eg ADSL is starting at 256/128 Kbps

The 'Baby Bells' like in rural areas can offer dual ISDN if the
distances and phone company hardware are right.
McG.

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003

I play CSS online on westcoast servers on 56k dialup. The performance is
acceptable, tho you will occasionally see ping spikes, and you can forget
about dominating lpbrs :)

See
URL:http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73708
for settings.

rms

ivorybow wrote:
> Tech question only. Not a debate about Steam. HISTRIONICS FROM
> STEAMKILLER NOT WANTED AND WILL BE DELETED.
>
> We may be moving into an area where there is no broadband. I play all
> the Valve games on Steam. Anybody here play DOD and such online with
> dial up? I have a screaming system. Will dial up support Steam for HL2?

I play on dialup all the time with Steam games. In fact Steam games are
generally the only games I play on the net due to their optimized net
code. As for updates, all you need is a little patience; updates can
resume anyway so it's not like you have to get it all in one hit.

HockeyTownUSA <magma@killspam.comcast.net> wrote in message
> .
> >
> > We may be moving into an area where there is no broadband.
>
> Damn, man. You moving to the middle of Afghanistan?

Contrary to the mistaken notions of uninformed l33t g4merz, the whole world
isn't a suburb.