Problem capturing DV in AVI format

I am having a problem capturing DV in AVI format. I am using a Firewire
interface with my Sony PC1 camcorder.

Using Movie Maker 2 and selecting the DV-AVI format, it appears to capture
fine -- the controls work and the preview appears in the preview screen.
However, when I click 'finish', I get a message that the file 'could not be
imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted.'

The resulting file will not play using Media Player (I get an 'unknown
error' message), but it will play fine using Quicktime Player.

Viewing the file information using GSpot, it gives the Type as 'Multipart
OpenDML AVI.' Everything else on the GSpot menu is blank or 'n.a.',
including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields. Rendering fails when I
click on it.

I have tried other capture programs and they also fail when capturing in
this format as well.

I am able to capture fine in Movie Maker when I capture in WMV format.

I'd appreciate any advice you all can help me with. Also, can someone point
me to a good source on the web for information on capturing, editing and
outputing DV to DVD? I'd like to understand more about the different formats
(like why is my WMV file so much smaller than my AVI file when both have a
resolution of 720 x 480 and neither use a video codec?) I'm interested in
maximizing the quality of my final result and would like to know what I need
to do to ensure that.

Thanks in advance!
16 answers Last reply
More about problem capturing format

    You should be asking this in Movie Maker newsgroup. Note it for future.

    It seems you are sufferring from what I call "DLL Hijack syndrome".
    Installation and un-installation of some apps results in re-mapping of your
    system DLLs which results in strage issues similar to yours.

    The specific DLL I suspect is "qdv.dll" which is used during dv avi
    encoding/decoding. Execute the following line on Start -> Run dialog:

    regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

    It should result in DLLRegisterServer Success message. Try capturing/saving
    movie again.

    Please reply and update your progress for the benefit of other.

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

    "bspeck" <bspeck@spamfree.com> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem capturing DV in AVI format. I am using a Firewire
    > interface with my Sony PC1 camcorder.
    >
    > Using Movie Maker 2 and selecting the DV-AVI format, it appears to capture
    > fine -- the controls work and the preview appears in the preview screen.
    > However, when I click 'finish', I get a message that the file 'could not
    > be
    > imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted.'
    >
    > The resulting file will not play using Media Player (I get an 'unknown
    > error' message), but it will play fine using Quicktime Player.
    >
    > Viewing the file information using GSpot, it gives the Type as 'Multipart
    > OpenDML AVI.' Everything else on the GSpot menu is blank or 'n.a.',
    > including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields. Rendering fails when I
    > click on it.
    >
    > I have tried other capture programs and they also fail when capturing in
    > this format as well.
    >
    > I am able to capture fine in Movie Maker when I capture in WMV format.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any advice you all can help me with. Also, can someone
    > point
    > me to a good source on the web for information on capturing, editing and
    > outputing DV to DVD? I'd like to understand more about the different
    > formats
    > (like why is my WMV file so much smaller than my AVI file when both have a
    > resolution of 720 x 480 and neither use a video codec?) I'm interested in
    > maximizing the quality of my final result and would like to know what I
    > need
    > to do to ensure that.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Unfortunately, it didn't work. The behavior in Movie Maker was the same.
    However, the response I got in Media Player when I tried to play the clip was
    different. Instead of 'unknown error' I get the message 'The source filter
    for this file could not be loaded.' Perhaps I'm making progress?

    I posted in this newsgroup since it is a problem I have with the two capture
    programs I have tried -- Movie Maker and Muvee. My sense is that it's not a
    MM problem but something more generic. Let me know if you still think I'm in
    the wrong group.

    More help will be appreciated!!!

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > You should be asking this in Movie Maker newsgroup. Note it for future.
    >
    > It seems you are sufferring from what I call "DLL Hijack syndrome".
    > Installation and un-installation of some apps results in re-mapping of your
    > system DLLs which results in strage issues similar to yours.
    >
    > The specific DLL I suspect is "qdv.dll" which is used during dv avi
    > encoding/decoding. Execute the following line on Start -> Run dialog:
    >
    > regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll
    >
    > It should result in DLLRegisterServer Success message. Try capturing/saving
    > movie again.
    >
    > Please reply and update your progress for the benefit of other.
    >
    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
    >

    > "bspeck" <bspeck@spamfree.com> wrote in message
    > >I am having a problem capturing DV in AVI format. I am using a Firewire
    > > interface with my Sony PC1 camcorder.
    > >
    > > Using Movie Maker 2 and selecting the DV-AVI format, it appears to capture
    > > fine -- the controls work and the preview appears in the preview screen.
    > > However, when I click 'finish', I get a message that the file 'could not
    > > be
    > > imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted.'
    > >
    > > The resulting file will not play using Media Player (I get an 'unknown
    > > error' message), but it will play fine using Quicktime Player.
    > >
    > > Viewing the file information using GSpot, it gives the Type as 'Multipart
    > > OpenDML AVI.' Everything else on the GSpot menu is blank or 'n.a.',
    > > including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields. Rendering fails when I
    > > click on it.
    > >
    > > I have tried other capture programs and they also fail when capturing in
    > > this format as well.
    > >
    > > I am able to capture fine in Movie Maker when I capture in WMV format.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate any advice you all can help me with. Also, can someone
    > > point
    > > me to a good source on the web for information on capturing, editing and
    > > outputing DV to DVD? I'd like to understand more about the different
    > > formats
    > > (like why is my WMV file so much smaller than my AVI file when both have a
    > > resolution of 720 x 480 and neither use a video codec?) I'm interested in
    > > maximizing the quality of my final result and would like to know what I
    > > need
    > > to do to ensure that.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance!

    More info:

    As I mentioned in my original post, the AVI clip plays okay with Quicktime.
    It just doesn't seem to be usable in Windows Movie Maker or Media Player.
    When I click Movie info in QT, I get:

    Format: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 720 x 480 Millions DV, Stereo 32 kHz, 16 bits
    Movie FPS: 29.97

    "bspeck" wrote:

> [...]
    > > > OpenDML AVI.' Everything else on the GSpot menu is blank or 'n.a.',
    > > > including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields. Rendering fails when I
    > > > click on it.
    > > >
    > > > I have tried other capture programs and they also fail when capturing in
    > > > this format as well.
    > > >
    > > > I am able to capture fine in Movie Maker when I capture in WMV format.
    > > >
    > > > I'd appreciate any advice you all can help me with. Also, can someone
    > > > point
    > > > me to a good source on the web for information on capturing, editing and
    > > > outputing DV to DVD? I'd like to understand more about the different
    > > > formats
    > > > (like why is my WMV file so much smaller than my AVI file when both have a
    > > > resolution of 720 x 480 and neither use a video codec?) I'm interested in
    > > > maximizing the quality of my final result and would like to know what I

    What does "GSpot" utility say about this file?
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Its strange that QT mentions DVCPRO which is a codec not usually found on
    PCs. Get a demo version of this codec and try again.
    http://www.mainconcept.com/codecs.shtml#dvcpro

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

    > More info:
    >
    > As I mentioned in my original post, the AVI clip plays okay with
    > Quicktime.
    > It just doesn't seem to be usable in Windows Movie Maker or Media Player.
    > When I click Movie info in QT, I get:
    >
    > Format: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 720 x 480 Millions DV, Stereo 32 kHz, 16 bits
    > Movie FPS: 29.97
    >

    > "bspeck" wrote:
    >
    >> Unfortunately, it didn't work. The behavior in Movie Maker was the same.
    >> However, the response I got in Media Player when I tried to play the clip
    >> was
    >> different. Instead of 'unknown error' I get the message 'The source
    >> filter
    >> for this file could not be loaded.' Perhaps I'm making progress?
    >>
    >> I posted in this newsgroup since it is a problem I have with the two
    >> capture
    >> programs I have tried -- Movie Maker and Muvee. My sense is that it's not
    >> MM problem but something more generic. Let me know if you still think I'm
    >> in
    >> the wrong group.
    >>
    >> More help will be appreciated!!!
    >>
    >> "Rehan" wrote:
    >>
    >> > You should be asking this in Movie Maker newsgroup. Note it for future.
    >> >
    >> > It seems you are sufferring from what I call "DLL Hijack syndrome".
    >> > Installation and un-installation of some apps results in re-mapping of
    >> > your
    >> > system DLLs which results in strage issues similar to yours.
    >> >
    >> > The specific DLL I suspect is "qdv.dll" which is used during dv avi
    >> > encoding/decoding. Execute the following line on Start -> Run dialog:
    >> >
    >> > regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll
    >> >
    >> > It should result in DLLRegisterServer Success message. Try
    >> > capturing/saving
    >> > movie again.
    >> >
    >> > Please reply and update your progress for the benefit of other.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Rehan
    >> > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
    >> >

    >> > "bspeck" <bspeck@spamfree.com> wrote in message

    GSpot says the same thing as before:

    Type is 'Multipart OpenDML AVI' and everything else on the GSpot menu is
    blank or 'n.a.', including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields.
    Rendering still fails when I click on the 'Render' button in GSpot.

    Any idea why GSpot would have 'n.a' in the Video Codec fields? Also, does
    the slash in the QT field (DV/DVCPRO) mean 'or'? As in DV or DVCPRO? I agree
    with you that DVCPRO is highly unlikely -- it's also not registered on my
    machine, according to GSpot, so I don't see how it could have been converted
    into that format from the camcorder.

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > What does "GSpot" utility say about this file?
    > http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    >
    > Its strange that QT mentions DVCPRO which is a codec not usually found on
    > PCs. Get a demo version of this codec and try again.
    > http://www.mainconcept.com/codecs.shtml#dvcpro
    >

    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

    I forgot to say that after registering the qdv.DLL, you need to re-capture
    the movie again. This is because the movie itself might be corrupted due to
    use of bad DLL previosuly. Quicktime might be more relaxed with any such
    problems or something like that.

    So try to re-capture a fresh movie clip and see how it goes in WMP and MM.

    In case you have re-captured the movie and it still has problems lets do the
    housekeeping to eliminate usual culprits:

    1. If you have SP2, reinstall it over the current installation.
    2. Update your graphics card drivers.
    3. Download full directx runtime and go through installation process
    4. Install Windows Media Encoder

    (Dont skip reboot when requested during these steps.)

    All these installations fix several issues with WMM. if you are not sure
    about step 1, you can skip it although it is pretty safe (if you already
    have SP2). After all these please report back and we can try a few more
    options.

    --

    > GSpot says the same thing as before:
    >
    > Type is 'Multipart OpenDML AVI' and everything else on the GSpot menu is
    > blank or 'n.a.', including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields.
    > Rendering still fails when I click on the 'Render' button in GSpot.
    >
    > Any idea why GSpot would have 'n.a' in the Video Codec fields? Also, does
    > the slash in the QT field (DV/DVCPRO) mean 'or'? As in DV or DVCPRO? I
    > agree
    > with you that DVCPRO is highly unlikely -- it's also not registered on my
    > machine, according to GSpot, so I don't see how it could have been
    > converted
    > into that format from the camcorder.
    >
    > "Rehan" wrote:
    >
    >> What does "GSpot" utility say about this file?
    >> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
    >>
    >> Its strange that QT mentions DVCPRO which is a codec not usually found on
    >> PCs. Get a demo version of this codec and try again.
    >> http://www.mainconcept.com/codecs.shtml#dvcpro
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rehan
    >> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I have been recapturing after every action I have taken to troubleshoot this
    problem. As per your last set of recommendations, I have done all except the
    SP2 reinstall. The problem remains the same: Captured AVI files aren't usable
    by WMM. Captured WMV files work fine.

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > I forgot to say that after registering the qdv.DLL, you need to re-capture
    > the movie again. This is because the movie itself might be corrupted due to
    > use of bad DLL previosuly. Quicktime might be more relaxed with any such
    > problems or something like that.
    >
    > So try to re-capture a fresh movie clip and see how it goes in WMP and MM.
    >
    > In case you have re-captured the movie and it still has problems lets do the
    > housekeeping to eliminate usual culprits:
    >
    > 1. If you have SP2, reinstall it over the current installation.
    > 2. Update your graphics card drivers.
    > 3. Download full directx runtime and go through installation process
    > 4. Install Windows Media Encoder
    >
    > (Dont skip reboot when requested during these steps.)
    >
    > All these installations fix several issues with WMM. if you are not sure
    > about step 1, you can skip it although it is pretty safe (if you already
    > have SP2). After all these please report back and we can try a few more
    > options.
    >

    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    More interesting info:

    Browsing around some other newsgroups in search of clues, I found reference
    to a freeware program called WinDV. I downloaded it and captured an AVI clip.
    It still won't play in WMP, but GSpot has some additional info on the file
    created using WinDV:

    Video section: 4CC: 'dvsd', Name: 'DVC/DV Video', Stat: '2 compatible codecs
    installed (more info...)'. When I click on 'more info,' I get a pop-up that
    says 'The following codecs should both capable of processing this format: DV
    Video Decoder, AVI Draw Nonethless, DirectShow is apparently NOT able to
    play this file. No further information is available concerning the apparent
    discrepancy.'

    When I click Status in the DirectShow Render section, I get the message
    'DirectShow was unable to render the file. Following is the error it
    reported: 0x80040241: VFW_E_CANNOT_LOAD_SOURCE_FILTER - The source filter for

    "bspeck" wrote:

    > I have been recapturing after every action I have taken to troubleshoot this
    > problem. As per your last set of recommendations, I have done all except the
    > SP2 reinstall. The problem remains the same: Captured AVI files aren't usable
    > by WMM. Captured WMV files work fine.
    >
    > "Rehan" wrote:
    >
    > > I forgot to say that after registering the qdv.DLL, you need to re-capture
    > > the movie again. This is because the movie itself might be corrupted due to
    > > use of bad DLL previosuly. Quicktime might be more relaxed with any such
    > > problems or something like that.
    > >
    > > So try to re-capture a fresh movie clip and see how it goes in WMP and MM.
    > >
    > > In case you have re-captured the movie and it still has problems lets do the
    > > housekeeping to eliminate usual culprits:
    > >
    > > 1. If you have SP2, reinstall it over the current installation.
    > > 2. Update your graphics card drivers.
    > > 3. Download full directx runtime and go through installation process
    > > 4. Install Windows Media Encoder
    > >
    > > (Dont skip reboot when requested during these steps.)
    > >
    > > All these installations fix several issues with WMM. if you are not sure
    > > about step 1, you can skip it although it is pretty safe (if you already
    > > have SP2). After all these please report back and we can try a few more
    > > options.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Rehan
    > > www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Can you download and install GSpot 2.5 beta
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot252dl.html

    and open the dv avi file in it. It would still not show much info but when
    you try to render it by pressing button labelled 1, it should show the
    "graph" (a sequence of directshow filters) that is used during rendering.
    Now move the mouse over [DV Splitter] and [DV Video Decoder] and it should
    show the name of the DLLs used. It should be qdv.dll for both of these.

    Right click and select Detailed info. Please copy paste that info.

    --

> [...]
    >> > such
    >> > problems or something like that.
    >> >
    >> > So try to re-capture a fresh movie clip and see how it goes in WMP and
    >> > MM.
    >> >
    >> > In case you have re-captured the movie and it still has problems lets
    >> > do the
    >> > housekeeping to eliminate usual culprits:
    >> >
    >> > 1. If you have SP2, reinstall it over the current installation.
    >> > 2. Update your graphics card drivers.
    >> > 3. Download full directx runtime and go through installation process
    >> > 4. Install Windows Media Encoder
    >> >
    >> > (Dont skip reboot when requested during these steps.)
    >> >
    >> > All these installations fix several issues with WMM. if you are not
    >> > sure
    >> > about step 1, you can skip it although it is pretty safe (if you
    >> > already
    >> > have SP2). After all these please report back and we can try a few more

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Unfortunately, the results are not so great. With GS 2.52 in the video
    section is says the 'Codec(s) are NOT Installed'. Bad sign given that GS 2.21
    says there are '2 compatible codes installed' for the same file. Seems like a
    bug in 2.52 to me, especially since the two codecs 2.21 names are present in
    the list of codecs 2.52 finds installed.

    Rendering in 2.52 gives the same result as 2.21 -- 'Rendering failed.
    Following is the error reported by DirectShow: 0x80040241: The source filter
    for this file could not be loaded.'

    Your idea of tracking the DirectShow filters seems right on. I'm guessing
    there's something old sitting in my system that is being used that shouldn't.

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > Can you download and install GSpot 2.5 beta
    > http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot252dl.html
    >
    > and open the dv avi file in it. It would still not show much info but when
    > you try to render it by pressing button labelled 1, it should show the
    > "graph" (a sequence of directshow filters) that is used during rendering.
    > Now move the mouse over [DV Splitter] and [DV Video Decoder] and it should
    > show the name of the DLLs used. It should be qdv.dll for both of these.
    >
    > Right click and select Detailed info. Please copy paste that info.
    >

    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Interesting.

    Yes it is now clear that there is something strange about your system. I
    wonder how did the fitlers that GS2.21 reported came to be on your system.
    Any idea? in any case we need to get rid of them as they are blocking the
    registration of correct system filter in c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll

    The best way forward would be to identify the applications that installed
    those fitlers and using their uninstaller, remove them from your system.

    In the registry the following keys should have c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
    as their default value. If these do not point to qdv.dll then which DLL do
    they point to? It should give you a clue which application you want to get
    rid of.

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{129D7E40-C10D-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{13AA3650-BB6F-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4150F050-BB6F-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4EB31670-9FC6-11CF-AF6E-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{129D7E40-C10D-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{13AA3650-BB6F-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4150F050-BB6F-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4EB31670-9FC6-11CF-AF6E-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

    --

    > Unfortunately, the results are not so great. With GS 2.52 in the video
    > section is says the 'Codec(s) are NOT Installed'. Bad sign given that GS
    > 2.21
    > says there are '2 compatible codes installed' for the same file. Seems
    > like a
    > bug in 2.52 to me, especially since the two codecs 2.21 names are present
    > in
    > the list of codecs 2.52 finds installed.
    >
    > Rendering in 2.52 gives the same result as 2.21 -- 'Rendering failed.
    > Following is the error reported by DirectShow: 0x80040241: The source
    > filter
    > for this file could not be loaded.'
    >
    > Your idea of tracking the DirectShow filters seems right on. I'm guessing
    > there's something old sitting in my system that is being used that
    > shouldn't.
    >
    > "Rehan" wrote:
    >
    >> Can you download and install GSpot 2.5 beta
    >> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot252dl.html
    >>
    >> and open the dv avi file in it. It would still not show much info but
    >> when
    >> you try to render it by pressing button labelled 1, it should show the
    >> "graph" (a sequence of directshow filters) that is used during rendering.
    >> Now move the mouse over [DV Splitter] and [DV Video Decoder] and it
    >> should
    >> show the name of the DLLs used. It should be qdv.dll for both of these.
    >>
    >> Right click and select Detailed info. Please copy paste that info.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Rehan
    >> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    Here is the information from GS2.21 on the two filters it identified (DV
    Video Decoder and AVI Draw):

    DV Video Decoder:
    DSH 4CC DVSD
    DSH Friendly Name DV Video Decoder
    DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\system32\qdv.dll
    DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_DVVideoCodec {B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}
    REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_dvsd
    REG Additional Media Type 02 4cc: dvc

    AVI Draw:
    DSH 4CC MJPG
    DSH Friendly Name AVI Draw
    DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\System32\quartz.dll
    DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_AVIDraw {A888DF60-1E90-11CF-AC98-00AA004C0FA9}
    REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_MJPG
    REG Additional Media Type 02 MEDIASUBTYPE_TVMJ
    REG Additional Media Type 03 MEDIASUBTYPE_WAKE
    REG Additional Media Type 04 MEDIASUBTYPE_CFCC
    REG Additional Media Type 05 MEDIASUBTYPE_IJPG
    REG Additional Media Type 06 MEDIASUBTYPE_Plum
    REG Additional Media Type 07 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVCS
    REG Additional Media Type 08 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVSD
    REG Additional Media Type 09 MEDIASUBTYPE_MDVF

    You asked which application installed them. I thought that both quartz.dll
    and qdv.dll were part of DirectX. Other than that, I couldn't say where they
    came from.

    I checked all they keys you gave me below. ALL point to
    c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll

    I REALLY DO appreciate your patience in all this!

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > Interesting.
    >
    > Yes it is now clear that there is something strange about your system. I
    > wonder how did the fitlers that GS2.21 reported came to be on your system.
    > Any idea? in any case we need to get rid of them as they are blocking the
    > registration of correct system filter in c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
    >
    > The best way forward would be to identify the applications that installed
    > those fitlers and using their uninstaller, remove them from your system.
    >
    > In the registry the following keys should have c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
    > as their default value. If these do not point to qdv.dll then which DLL do
    > they point to? It should give you a clue which application you want to get
    > rid of.
    >
    > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    OK what is the version number and dates of these two files. To see the
    version right click on the file and select properties and then select the
    Version tab.

    On my system (SP2) the version numbers are (name,version,date
    modififed,size):
    qdv.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 279,040 bytes
    quartz.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 1,287,680 bytes

    If these are the same or higher then I think this almost runs out my options
    to suggest anyhting...
    otherwise if these are smaller versions then (re)install SP2.

    --

    > Here is the information from GS2.21 on the two filters it identified (DV
    > Video Decoder and AVI Draw):
    >
    > DV Video Decoder:
    > DSH 4CC DVSD
    > DSH Friendly Name DV Video Decoder
    > DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\system32\qdv.dll
    > DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_DVVideoCodec
    > {B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}
    > REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_dvsd
    > REG Additional Media Type 02 4cc: dvc
    >
    > AVI Draw:
    > DSH 4CC MJPG
    > DSH Friendly Name AVI Draw
    > DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\System32\quartz.dll
    > DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_AVIDraw {A888DF60-1E90-11CF-AC98-00AA004C0FA9}
    > REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_MJPG
    > REG Additional Media Type 02 MEDIASUBTYPE_TVMJ
    > REG Additional Media Type 03 MEDIASUBTYPE_WAKE
    > REG Additional Media Type 04 MEDIASUBTYPE_CFCC
    > REG Additional Media Type 05 MEDIASUBTYPE_IJPG
    > REG Additional Media Type 06 MEDIASUBTYPE_Plum
    > REG Additional Media Type 07 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVCS
    > REG Additional Media Type 08 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVSD
    > REG Additional Media Type 09 MEDIASUBTYPE_MDVF
    >
    > You asked which application installed them. I thought that both quartz.dll
    > and qdv.dll were part of DirectX. Other than that, I couldn't say where
    > they
    > came from.
    >
    > I checked all they keys you gave me below. ALL point to
    > c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
    >
    > I REALLY DO appreciate your patience in all this!
    >
    > "Rehan" wrote:
    >
    >> Interesting.
    >>
    >> Yes it is now clear that there is something strange about your system. I
    >> wonder how did the fitlers that GS2.21 reported came to be on your
    >> system.
    >> Any idea? in any case we need to get rid of them as they are blocking the
    >> registration of correct system filter in c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
    >>
    >> The best way forward would be to identify the applications that installed
    >> those fitlers and using their uninstaller, remove them from your system.
    >>
    >> In the registry the following keys should have
    >> c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
    >> as their default value. If these do not point to qdv.dll then which DLL
    >> do
    >> they point to? It should give you a clue which application you want to
    >> get
    >> rid of.
    >>
    >> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    The version numbers and dates are the same as yours.

    Is there any way to uninstall filters directly without uninstalling
    applications? GSpot loads 241 codecs. Can I get to those directly and
    uninstall them properly. I have been uninstalling any applications I can
    think of, but it's having no effect. I even uninstalled muvee out of
    desperation. I know the folks there and they go to great pains to make sure
    their application is well behaved. Just as I expected, it did not solve my
    problem.

    "Rehan" wrote:

    > OK what is the version number and dates of these two files. To see the
    > version right click on the file and select properties and then select the
    > Version tab.
    >
    > On my system (SP2) the version numbers are (name,version,date
    > modififed,size):
    > qdv.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 279,040 bytes
    > quartz.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 1,287,680 bytes
    >
    > If these are the same or higher then I think this almost runs out my options
    > to suggest anyhting...
    > otherwise if these are smaller versions then (re)install SP2.
    >
    > --
    > Rehan
    > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    A way to uninstall filters without removing programs is to unregister them
    if you know where those filters are. Just type regsvr32 /u followed by the
    full path of the filter you want to remove in the command prompt. You can
    use regsvr32 later to re-register it. An even simplier way is to just rename
    those files.

    > The version numbers and dates are the same as yours.
    >
    > Is there any way to uninstall filters directly without uninstalling
    > applications? GSpot loads 241 codecs. Can I get to those directly and
    > uninstall them properly. I have been uninstalling any applications I can
    > think of, but it's having no effect. I even uninstalled muvee out of
    > desperation. I know the folks there and they go to great pains to make
    sure
    > their application is well behaved. Just as I expected, it did not solve my
    > problem.
    >
    > "Rehan" wrote:
    >
    > > OK what is the version number and dates of these two files. To see the
    > > version right click on the file and select properties and then select
    the
    > > Version tab.
    > >
    > > On my system (SP2) the version numbers are (name,version,date
    > > modififed,size):
    > > qdv.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 279,040 bytes
    > > quartz.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 1,287,680 bytes
    > >
    > > If these are the same or higher then I think this almost runs out my
    options
    > > to suggest anyhting...
    > > otherwise if these are smaller versions then (re)install SP2.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Rehan
    > > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.video (More info?)

    I am having almost the exact same problem as bspeck - in that having captured
    an .avi file from a DV source (sony dsr-45) through Adobe Premiere, upon
    trying to play back the file in both wmplayer.exe and mplayer2.exe I get the
    "source filter not loaded" error. The file plays back fine while still in
    Premiere ( I can edit with it, etc) and the workaround I've found is to move
    the clip to the timeline and export as a Microsoft DV .avi. Then WMP plays
    it with no problems. The stats on the original file are pretty much the same
    as bspeck's and I have the same failed render using G-spot.
    My system:
    Windows XP Professional SP1 (corporate networked PC, SP2 not deployed yet)
    IBM Intellistation 6230-34U
    1 Gig RAM
    WMP 9 (rolled back from 10)
    ADS Pyro Basic DV capture card
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere, Encore DVD, WMP, WMencoder,
    DirectX.
    I even copied the qdv.dll from one other machine that I have that does not
    have the problem to this machine. Same results. Oh and one other thing,
    trying to play sample DV files that came in a demo of Serious Magic Ultra (DV
    based chroma key software) produced the same "source filter" error so the
    problem is not limited to files that I have captured. Also, when I am in the
    Encore and Ultra app's, the DV files are still not recognized so the problem
    is not limited to just the WMP, it also manifests itself in app's that rely
    on the player. As with bspeck, Quicktime plays the files fine. I am
    stumped. Any help or response will be greatly appreciated.
    Gregg

    "Drs" wrote:

    > A way to uninstall filters without removing programs is to unregister them
    > if you know where those filters are. Just type regsvr32 /u followed by the
    > full path of the filter you want to remove in the command prompt. You can
    > use regsvr32 later to re-register it. An even simplier way is to just rename
    > those files.
    >

    > "bspeck" <bspeck@spamfree.com> wrote in message
    > > The version numbers and dates are the same as yours.
    > >
    > > Is there any way to uninstall filters directly without uninstalling
    > > applications? GSpot loads 241 codecs. Can I get to those directly and
    > > uninstall them properly. I have been uninstalling any applications I can
    > > think of, but it's having no effect. I even uninstalled muvee out of
    > > desperation. I know the folks there and they go to great pains to make
    > sure
    > > their application is well behaved. Just as I expected, it did not solve my
    > > problem.
    > >
    > > "Rehan" wrote:
    > >
    > > > OK what is the version number and dates of these two files. To see the
    > > > version right click on the file and select properties and then select
    > the
    > > > Version tab.
    > > >
    > > > On my system (SP2) the version numbers are (name,version,date
    > > > modififed,size):
    > > > qdv.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 279,040 bytes
    > > > quartz.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 1,287,680 bytes
    > > >
    > > > If these are the same or higher then I think this almost runs out my
    > options
    > > > to suggest anyhting...
    > > > otherwise if these are smaller versions then (re)install SP2.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Rehan
    > > > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

Video AVI Format Windows XP