Problem capturing DV in AVI format

October 20, 2004 11:51:02 PM

I am having a problem capturing DV in AVI format. I am using a Firewire
interface with my Sony PC1 camcorder.

Using Movie Maker 2 and selecting the DV-AVI format, it appears to capture
fine -- the controls work and the preview appears in the preview screen.
However, when I click 'finish', I get a message that the file 'could not be
imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted.'

The resulting file will not play using Media Player (I get an 'unknown
error' message), but it will play fine using Quicktime Player.

Viewing the file information using GSpot, it gives the Type as 'Multipart
OpenDML AVI.' Everything else on the GSpot menu is blank or 'n.a.',
including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields. Rendering fails when I
click on it.

I have tried other capture programs and they also fail when capturing in
this format as well.

I am able to capture fine in Movie Maker when I capture in WMV format.

I'd appreciate any advice you all can help me with. Also, can someone point
me to a good source on the web for information on capturing, editing and
outputing DV to DVD? I'd like to understand more about the different formats
(like why is my WMV file so much smaller than my AVI file when both have a
resolution of 720 x 480 and neither use a video codec?) I'm interested in
maximizing the quality of my final result and would like to know what I need
to do to ensure that.

Thanks in advance!
October 21, 2004 3:49:28 PM

You should be asking this in Movie Maker newsgroup. Note it for future.

It seems you are sufferring from what I call "DLL Hijack syndrome".
Installation and un-installation of some apps results in re-mapping of your
system DLLs which results in strage issues similar to yours.

The specific DLL I suspect is "qdv.dll" which is used during dv avi
encoding/decoding. Execute the following line on Start -> Run dialog:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll

It should result in DLLRegisterServer Success message. Try capturing/saving
movie again.

Please reply and update your progress for the benefit of other.

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

"bspeck" <bspeck@spamfree.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem capturing DV in AVI format. I am using a Firewire
> interface with my Sony PC1 camcorder.
>
> Using Movie Maker 2 and selecting the DV-AVI format, it appears to capture
> fine -- the controls work and the preview appears in the preview screen.
> However, when I click 'finish', I get a message that the file 'could not
> be
> imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted.'
>
> The resulting file will not play using Media Player (I get an 'unknown
> error' message), but it will play fine using Quicktime Player.
>
> Viewing the file information using GSpot, it gives the Type as 'Multipart
> OpenDML AVI.' Everything else on the GSpot menu is blank or 'n.a.',
> including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields. Rendering fails when I
> click on it.
>
> I have tried other capture programs and they also fail when capturing in
> this format as well.
>
> I am able to capture fine in Movie Maker when I capture in WMV format.
>
> I'd appreciate any advice you all can help me with. Also, can someone
> point
> me to a good source on the web for information on capturing, editing and
> outputing DV to DVD? I'd like to understand more about the different
> formats
> (like why is my WMV file so much smaller than my AVI file when both have a
> resolution of 720 x 480 and neither use a video codec?) I'm interested in
> maximizing the quality of my final result and would like to know what I
> need
> to do to ensure that.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 10:41:01 PM

Unfortunately, it didn't work. The behavior in Movie Maker was the same.
However, the response I got in Media Player when I tried to play the clip was
different. Instead of 'unknown error' I get the message 'The source filter
for this file could not be loaded.' Perhaps I'm making progress?

I posted in this newsgroup since it is a problem I have with the two capture
programs I have tried -- Movie Maker and Muvee. My sense is that it's not a
MM problem but something more generic. Let me know if you still think I'm in
the wrong group.

More help will be appreciated!!!

"Rehan" wrote:

> You should be asking this in Movie Maker newsgroup. Note it for future.
>
> It seems you are sufferring from what I call "DLL Hijack syndrome".
> Installation and un-installation of some apps results in re-mapping of your
> system DLLs which results in strage issues similar to yours.
>
> The specific DLL I suspect is "qdv.dll" which is used during dv avi
> encoding/decoding. Execute the following line on Start -> Run dialog:
>
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll
>
> It should result in DLLRegisterServer Success message. Try capturing/saving
> movie again.
>
> Please reply and update your progress for the benefit of other.
>
> --
> Rehan
> www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
>

> "bspeck" <bspeck@spamfree.com> wrote in message
> >I am having a problem capturing DV in AVI format. I am using a Firewire
> > interface with my Sony PC1 camcorder.
> >
> > Using Movie Maker 2 and selecting the DV-AVI format, it appears to capture
> > fine -- the controls work and the preview appears in the preview screen.
> > However, when I click 'finish', I get a message that the file 'could not
> > be
> > imported. The selected file is not valid or is corrupted.'
> >
> > The resulting file will not play using Media Player (I get an 'unknown
> > error' message), but it will play fine using Quicktime Player.
> >
> > Viewing the file information using GSpot, it gives the Type as 'Multipart
> > OpenDML AVI.' Everything else on the GSpot menu is blank or 'n.a.',
> > including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields. Rendering fails when I
> > click on it.
> >
> > I have tried other capture programs and they also fail when capturing in
> > this format as well.
> >
> > I am able to capture fine in Movie Maker when I capture in WMV format.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any advice you all can help me with. Also, can someone
> > point
> > me to a good source on the web for information on capturing, editing and
> > outputing DV to DVD? I'd like to understand more about the different
> > formats
> > (like why is my WMV file so much smaller than my AVI file when both have a
> > resolution of 720 x 480 and neither use a video codec?) I'm interested in
> > maximizing the quality of my final result and would like to know what I
> > need
> > to do to ensure that.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

October 22, 2004 12:25:02 AM

More info:

As I mentioned in my original post, the AVI clip plays okay with Quicktime.
It just doesn't seem to be usable in Windows Movie Maker or Media Player.
When I click Movie info in QT, I get:

Format: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 720 x 480 Millions DV, Stereo 32 kHz, 16 bits
Movie FPS: 29.97

"bspeck" wrote:

> [...]
> > > OpenDML AVI.' Everything else on the GSpot menu is blank or 'n.a.',
> > > including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields. Rendering fails when I
> > > click on it.
> > >
> > > I have tried other capture programs and they also fail when capturing in
> > > this format as well.
> > >
> > > I am able to capture fine in Movie Maker when I capture in WMV format.
> > >
> > > I'd appreciate any advice you all can help me with. Also, can someone
> > > point
> > > me to a good source on the web for information on capturing, editing and
> > > outputing DV to DVD? I'd like to understand more about the different
> > > formats
> > > (like why is my WMV file so much smaller than my AVI file when both have a
> > > resolution of 720 x 480 and neither use a video codec?) I'm interested in
> > > maximizing the quality of my final result and would like to know what I

October 22, 2004 10:14:13 AM

What does "GSpot" utility say about this file?
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Its strange that QT mentions DVCPRO which is a codec not usually found on
PCs. Get a demo version of this codec and try again.
http://www.mainconcept.com/codecs.shtml#dvcpro

--
Rehan
www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

"bspeck" <bspeck@spamfree.com> wrote in message
news:D C4EA8F2-D7F7-451C-BDC8-6FCFB0D611D2@microsoft.com...
> More info:
>
> As I mentioned in my original post, the AVI clip plays okay with
> Quicktime.
> It just doesn't seem to be usable in Windows Movie Maker or Media Player.
> When I click Movie info in QT, I get:
>
> Format: DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 720 x 480 Millions DV, Stereo 32 kHz, 16 bits
> Movie FPS: 29.97
>

> "bspeck" wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, it didn't work. The behavior in Movie Maker was the same.
>> However, the response I got in Media Player when I tried to play the clip
>> was
>> different. Instead of 'unknown error' I get the message 'The source
>> filter
>> for this file could not be loaded.' Perhaps I'm making progress?
>>
>> I posted in this newsgroup since it is a problem I have with the two
>> capture
>> programs I have tried -- Movie Maker and Muvee. My sense is that it's not
>> MM problem but something more generic. Let me know if you still think I'm
>> in
>> the wrong group.
>>
>> More help will be appreciated!!!
>>
>> "Rehan" wrote:
>>
>> > You should be asking this in Movie Maker newsgroup. Note it for future.
>> >
>> > It seems you are sufferring from what I call "DLL Hijack syndrome".
>> > Installation and un-installation of some apps results in re-mapping of
>> > your
>> > system DLLs which results in strage issues similar to yours.
>> >
>> > The specific DLL I suspect is "qdv.dll" which is used during dv avi
>> > encoding/decoding. Execute the following line on Start -> Run dialog:
>> >
>> > regsvr32 %windir%\system32\qdv.dll
>> >
>> > It should result in DLLRegisterServer Success message. Try
>> > capturing/saving
>> > movie again.
>> >
>> > Please reply and update your progress for the benefit of other.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Rehan
>> > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
>> >

>> > "bspeck" <bspeck@spamfree.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 6:01:04 PM

GSpot says the same thing as before:

Type is 'Multipart OpenDML AVI' and everything else on the GSpot menu is
blank or 'n.a.', including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields.
Rendering still fails when I click on the 'Render' button in GSpot.

Any idea why GSpot would have 'n.a' in the Video Codec fields? Also, does
the slash in the QT field (DV/DVCPRO) mean 'or'? As in DV or DVCPRO? I agree
with you that DVCPRO is highly unlikely -- it's also not registered on my
machine, according to GSpot, so I don't see how it could have been converted
into that format from the camcorder.

"Rehan" wrote:

> What does "GSpot" utility say about this file?
> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
>
> Its strange that QT mentions DVCPRO which is a codec not usually found on
> PCs. Get a demo version of this codec and try again.
> http://www.mainconcept.com/codecs.shtml#dvcpro
>

> --
> Rehan
> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
October 23, 2004 3:55:57 AM

I forgot to say that after registering the qdv.DLL, you need to re-capture
the movie again. This is because the movie itself might be corrupted due to
use of bad DLL previosuly. Quicktime might be more relaxed with any such
problems or something like that.

So try to re-capture a fresh movie clip and see how it goes in WMP and MM.

In case you have re-captured the movie and it still has problems lets do the
housekeeping to eliminate usual culprits:

1. If you have SP2, reinstall it over the current installation.
2. Update your graphics card drivers.
3. Download full directx runtime and go through installation process
4. Install Windows Media Encoder

(Dont skip reboot when requested during these steps.)

All these installations fix several issues with WMM. if you are not sure
about step 1, you can skip it although it is pretty safe (if you already
have SP2). After all these please report back and we can try a few more
options.

--

> GSpot says the same thing as before:
>
> Type is 'Multipart OpenDML AVI' and everything else on the GSpot menu is
> blank or 'n.a.', including all the Comments, Video and Audio fields.
> Rendering still fails when I click on the 'Render' button in GSpot.
>
> Any idea why GSpot would have 'n.a' in the Video Codec fields? Also, does
> the slash in the QT field (DV/DVCPRO) mean 'or'? As in DV or DVCPRO? I
> agree
> with you that DVCPRO is highly unlikely -- it's also not registered on my
> machine, according to GSpot, so I don't see how it could have been
> converted
> into that format from the camcorder.
>
> "Rehan" wrote:
>
>> What does "GSpot" utility say about this file?
>> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
>>
>> Its strange that QT mentions DVCPRO which is a codec not usually found on
>> PCs. Get a demo version of this codec and try again.
>> http://www.mainconcept.com/codecs.shtml#dvcpro
>>

>> --
>> Rehan
>> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 3:55:58 AM

I have been recapturing after every action I have taken to troubleshoot this
problem. As per your last set of recommendations, I have done all except the
SP2 reinstall. The problem remains the same: Captured AVI files aren't usable
by WMM. Captured WMV files work fine.

"Rehan" wrote:

> I forgot to say that after registering the qdv.DLL, you need to re-capture
> the movie again. This is because the movie itself might be corrupted due to
> use of bad DLL previosuly. Quicktime might be more relaxed with any such
> problems or something like that.
>
> So try to re-capture a fresh movie clip and see how it goes in WMP and MM.
>
> In case you have re-captured the movie and it still has problems lets do the
> housekeeping to eliminate usual culprits:
>
> 1. If you have SP2, reinstall it over the current installation.
> 2. Update your graphics card drivers.
> 3. Download full directx runtime and go through installation process
> 4. Install Windows Media Encoder
>
> (Dont skip reboot when requested during these steps.)
>
> All these installations fix several issues with WMM. if you are not sure
> about step 1, you can skip it although it is pretty safe (if you already
> have SP2). After all these please report back and we can try a few more
> options.
>

> --
> Rehan
> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:43:02 PM

More interesting info:

Browsing around some other newsgroups in search of clues, I found reference
to a freeware program called WinDV. I downloaded it and captured an AVI clip.
It still won't play in WMP, but GSpot has some additional info on the file
created using WinDV:

Video section: 4CC: 'dvsd', Name: 'DVC/DV Video', Stat: '2 compatible codecs
installed (more info...)'. When I click on 'more info,' I get a pop-up that
says 'The following codecs should both capable of processing this format: DV
Video Decoder, AVI Draw Nonethless, DirectShow is apparently NOT able to
play this file. No further information is available concerning the apparent
discrepancy.'

When I click Status in the DirectShow Render section, I get the message
'DirectShow was unable to render the file. Following is the error it
reported: 0x80040241: VFW_E_CANNOT_LOAD_SOURCE_FILTER - The source filter for

"bspeck" wrote:

> I have been recapturing after every action I have taken to troubleshoot this
> problem. As per your last set of recommendations, I have done all except the
> SP2 reinstall. The problem remains the same: Captured AVI files aren't usable
> by WMM. Captured WMV files work fine.
>
> "Rehan" wrote:
>
> > I forgot to say that after registering the qdv.DLL, you need to re-capture
> > the movie again. This is because the movie itself might be corrupted due to
> > use of bad DLL previosuly. Quicktime might be more relaxed with any such
> > problems or something like that.
> >
> > So try to re-capture a fresh movie clip and see how it goes in WMP and MM.
> >
> > In case you have re-captured the movie and it still has problems lets do the
> > housekeeping to eliminate usual culprits:
> >
> > 1. If you have SP2, reinstall it over the current installation.
> > 2. Update your graphics card drivers.
> > 3. Download full directx runtime and go through installation process
> > 4. Install Windows Media Encoder
> >
> > (Dont skip reboot when requested during these steps.)
> >
> > All these installations fix several issues with WMM. if you are not sure
> > about step 1, you can skip it although it is pretty safe (if you already
> > have SP2). After all these please report back and we can try a few more
> > options.
> >

> > --
> > Rehan
> > www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

October 24, 2004 4:26:18 AM

Can you download and install GSpot 2.5 beta
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot252dl.html

and open the dv avi file in it. It would still not show much info but when
you try to render it by pressing button labelled 1, it should show the
"graph" (a sequence of directshow filters) that is used during rendering.
Now move the mouse over [DV Splitter] and [DV Video Decoder] and it should
show the name of the DLLs used. It should be qdv.dll for both of these.

Right click and select Detailed info. Please copy paste that info.

--

> [...]
>> > such
>> > problems or something like that.
>> >
>> > So try to re-capture a fresh movie clip and see how it goes in WMP and
>> > MM.
>> >
>> > In case you have re-captured the movie and it still has problems lets
>> > do the
>> > housekeeping to eliminate usual culprits:
>> >
>> > 1. If you have SP2, reinstall it over the current installation.
>> > 2. Update your graphics card drivers.
>> > 3. Download full directx runtime and go through installation process
>> > 4. Install Windows Media Encoder
>> >
>> > (Dont skip reboot when requested during these steps.)
>> >
>> > All these installations fix several issues with WMM. if you are not
>> > sure
>> > about step 1, you can skip it although it is pretty safe (if you
>> > already
>> > have SP2). After all these please report back and we can try a few more

October 25, 2004 2:03:02 AM

Unfortunately, the results are not so great. With GS 2.52 in the video
section is says the 'Codec(s) are NOT Installed'. Bad sign given that GS 2.21
says there are '2 compatible codes installed' for the same file. Seems like a
bug in 2.52 to me, especially since the two codecs 2.21 names are present in
the list of codecs 2.52 finds installed.

Rendering in 2.52 gives the same result as 2.21 -- 'Rendering failed.
Following is the error reported by DirectShow: 0x80040241: The source filter
for this file could not be loaded.'

Your idea of tracking the DirectShow filters seems right on. I'm guessing
there's something old sitting in my system that is being used that shouldn't.

"Rehan" wrote:

> Can you download and install GSpot 2.5 beta
> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot252dl.html
>
> and open the dv avi file in it. It would still not show much info but when
> you try to render it by pressing button labelled 1, it should show the
> "graph" (a sequence of directshow filters) that is used during rendering.
> Now move the mouse over [DV Splitter] and [DV Video Decoder] and it should
> show the name of the DLLs used. It should be qdv.dll for both of these.
>
> Right click and select Detailed info. Please copy paste that info.
>

> --
> Rehan
> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker
October 25, 2004 11:14:22 AM

Interesting.

Yes it is now clear that there is something strange about your system. I
wonder how did the fitlers that GS2.21 reported came to be on your system.
Any idea? in any case we need to get rid of them as they are blocking the
registration of correct system filter in c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll

The best way forward would be to identify the applications that installed
those fitlers and using their uninstaller, remove them from your system.

In the registry the following keys should have c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
as their default value. If these do not point to qdv.dll then which DLL do
they point to? It should give you a clue which application you want to get
rid of.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{129D7E40-C10D-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{13AA3650-BB6F-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4150F050-BB6F-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{4EB31670-9FC6-11CF-AF6E-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{129D7E40-C10D-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{13AA3650-BB6F-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4150F050-BB6F-11D0-AFB9-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{4EB31670-9FC6-11CF-AF6E-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32

--

news:D D71FA6E-1B73-4868-877C-B4C22E06ADBD@microsoft.com...
> Unfortunately, the results are not so great. With GS 2.52 in the video
> section is says the 'Codec(s) are NOT Installed'. Bad sign given that GS
> 2.21
> says there are '2 compatible codes installed' for the same file. Seems
> like a
> bug in 2.52 to me, especially since the two codecs 2.21 names are present
> in
> the list of codecs 2.52 finds installed.
>
> Rendering in 2.52 gives the same result as 2.21 -- 'Rendering failed.
> Following is the error reported by DirectShow: 0x80040241: The source
> filter
> for this file could not be loaded.'
>
> Your idea of tracking the DirectShow filters seems right on. I'm guessing
> there's something old sitting in my system that is being used that
> shouldn't.
>
> "Rehan" wrote:
>
>> Can you download and install GSpot 2.5 beta
>> http://www.headbands.com/gspot/gspot252dl.html
>>
>> and open the dv avi file in it. It would still not show much info but
>> when
>> you try to render it by pressing button labelled 1, it should show the
>> "graph" (a sequence of directshow filters) that is used during rendering.
>> Now move the mouse over [DV Splitter] and [DV Video Decoder] and it
>> should
>> show the name of the DLLs used. It should be qdv.dll for both of these.
>>
>> Right click and select Detailed info. Please copy paste that info.
>>

>> --
>> Rehan
>> www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

Anonymous
October 26, 2004 1:33:02 AM

Here is the information from GS2.21 on the two filters it identified (DV
Video Decoder and AVI Draw):

DV Video Decoder:
DSH 4CC DVSD
DSH Friendly Name DV Video Decoder
DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\system32\qdv.dll
DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_DVVideoCodec {B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}
REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_dvsd
REG Additional Media Type 02 4cc: dvc

AVI Draw:
DSH 4CC MJPG
DSH Friendly Name AVI Draw
DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\System32\quartz.dll
DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_AVIDraw {A888DF60-1E90-11CF-AC98-00AA004C0FA9}
REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_MJPG
REG Additional Media Type 02 MEDIASUBTYPE_TVMJ
REG Additional Media Type 03 MEDIASUBTYPE_WAKE
REG Additional Media Type 04 MEDIASUBTYPE_CFCC
REG Additional Media Type 05 MEDIASUBTYPE_IJPG
REG Additional Media Type 06 MEDIASUBTYPE_Plum
REG Additional Media Type 07 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVCS
REG Additional Media Type 08 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVSD
REG Additional Media Type 09 MEDIASUBTYPE_MDVF

You asked which application installed them. I thought that both quartz.dll
and qdv.dll were part of DirectX. Other than that, I couldn't say where they
came from.

I checked all they keys you gave me below. ALL point to
c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll

I REALLY DO appreciate your patience in all this!

"Rehan" wrote:

> Interesting.
>
> Yes it is now clear that there is something strange about your system. I
> wonder how did the fitlers that GS2.21 reported came to be on your system.
> Any idea? in any case we need to get rid of them as they are blocking the
> registration of correct system filter in c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
>
> The best way forward would be to identify the applications that installed
> those fitlers and using their uninstaller, remove them from your system.
>
> In the registry the following keys should have c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
> as their default value. If these do not point to qdv.dll then which DLL do
> they point to? It should give you a clue which application you want to get
> rid of.
>
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32
October 26, 2004 4:42:08 PM

OK what is the version number and dates of these two files. To see the
version right click on the file and select properties and then select the
Version tab.

On my system (SP2) the version numbers are (name,version,date
modififed,size):
qdv.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 279,040 bytes
quartz.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 1,287,680 bytes

If these are the same or higher then I think this almost runs out my options
to suggest anyhting...
otherwise if these are smaller versions then (re)install SP2.

--

> Here is the information from GS2.21 on the two filters it identified (DV
> Video Decoder and AVI Draw):
>
> DV Video Decoder:
> DSH 4CC DVSD
> DSH Friendly Name DV Video Decoder
> DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\system32\qdv.dll
> DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_DVVideoCodec
> {B1B77C00-C3E4-11CF-AF79-00AA00B67A42}
> REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_dvsd
> REG Additional Media Type 02 4cc: dvc
>
> AVI Draw:
> DSH 4CC MJPG
> DSH Friendly Name AVI Draw
> DSH Driver or Wrapper C:\WINDOWS\System32\quartz.dll
> DSH DirectShow CLSID CLSID_AVIDraw {A888DF60-1E90-11CF-AC98-00AA004C0FA9}
> REG Additional Media Type 01 MEDIASUBTYPE_MJPG
> REG Additional Media Type 02 MEDIASUBTYPE_TVMJ
> REG Additional Media Type 03 MEDIASUBTYPE_WAKE
> REG Additional Media Type 04 MEDIASUBTYPE_CFCC
> REG Additional Media Type 05 MEDIASUBTYPE_IJPG
> REG Additional Media Type 06 MEDIASUBTYPE_Plum
> REG Additional Media Type 07 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVCS
> REG Additional Media Type 08 MEDIASUBTYPE_DVSD
> REG Additional Media Type 09 MEDIASUBTYPE_MDVF
>
> You asked which application installed them. I thought that both quartz.dll
> and qdv.dll were part of DirectX. Other than that, I couldn't say where
> they
> came from.
>
> I checked all they keys you gave me below. ALL point to
> c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
>
> I REALLY DO appreciate your patience in all this!
>
> "Rehan" wrote:
>
>> Interesting.
>>
>> Yes it is now clear that there is something strange about your system. I
>> wonder how did the fitlers that GS2.21 reported came to be on your
>> system.
>> Any idea? in any case we need to get rid of them as they are blocking the
>> registration of correct system filter in c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
>>
>> The best way forward would be to identify the applications that installed
>> those fitlers and using their uninstaller, remove them from your system.
>>
>> In the registry the following keys should have
>> c:\windows\system32\qdv.dll
>> as their default value. If these do not point to qdv.dll then which DLL
>> do
>> they point to? It should give you a clue which application you want to
>> get
>> rid of.
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{101193C0-0BFE-11D0-AF91-00AA00B67A42}\InprocServer32
October 27, 2004 1:27:02 AM

The version numbers and dates are the same as yours.

Is there any way to uninstall filters directly without uninstalling
applications? GSpot loads 241 codecs. Can I get to those directly and
uninstall them properly. I have been uninstalling any applications I can
think of, but it's having no effect. I even uninstalled muvee out of
desperation. I know the folks there and they go to great pains to make sure
their application is well behaved. Just as I expected, it did not solve my
problem.

"Rehan" wrote:

> OK what is the version number and dates of these two files. To see the
> version right click on the file and select properties and then select the
> Version tab.
>
> On my system (SP2) the version numbers are (name,version,date
> modififed,size):
> qdv.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 279,040 bytes
> quartz.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 1,287,680 bytes
>
> If these are the same or higher then I think this almost runs out my options
> to suggest anyhting...
> otherwise if these are smaller versions then (re)install SP2.
>
> --
> Rehan
> www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 1:16:03 AM

A way to uninstall filters without removing programs is to unregister them
if you know where those filters are. Just type regsvr32 /u followed by the
full path of the filter you want to remove in the command prompt. You can
use regsvr32 later to re-register it. An even simplier way is to just rename
those files.

> The version numbers and dates are the same as yours.
>
> Is there any way to uninstall filters directly without uninstalling
> applications? GSpot loads 241 codecs. Can I get to those directly and
> uninstall them properly. I have been uninstalling any applications I can
> think of, but it's having no effect. I even uninstalled muvee out of
> desperation. I know the folks there and they go to great pains to make
sure
> their application is well behaved. Just as I expected, it did not solve my
> problem.
>
> "Rehan" wrote:
>
> > OK what is the version number and dates of these two files. To see the
> > version right click on the file and select properties and then select
the
> > Version tab.
> >
> > On my system (SP2) the version numbers are (name,version,date
> > modififed,size):
> > qdv.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 279,040 bytes
> > quartz.dll, 6.5.2600.2180, 04 August 2004, 1,287,680 bytes
> >
> > If these are the same or higher then I think this almost runs out my
options
> > to suggest anyhting...
> > otherwise if these are smaller versions then (re)install SP2.
> >
> > --
> > Rehan
> > www.rehanfx.org - get more effects and transitions for movie maker

February 25, 2005 1:21:03 PM

I am having almost the exact same problem as bspeck - in that having captured
an .avi file from a DV source (sony dsr-45) through Adobe Premiere, upon
trying to play back the file in both wmplayer.exe and mplayer2.exe I get the
"source filter not loaded" error. The file plays back fine while still in
Premiere ( I can edit with it, etc) and the workaround I've found is to move
the clip to the timeline and export as a Microsoft DV .avi. Then WMP plays
it with no problems. The stats on the original file are pretty much the same
as bspeck's and I have the same failed render using G-spot.
My system:
Windows XP Professional SP1 (corporate networked PC, SP2 not deployed yet)
IBM Intellistation 6230-34U
1 Gig RAM
WMP 9 (rolled back from 10)
ADS Pyro Basic DV capture card
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Premiere, Encore DVD, WMP, WMencoder,
DirectX.
I even copied the qdv.dll from one other machine that I have that does not
have the problem to this machine. Same results. Oh and one other thing,
trying to play sample DV files that came in a demo of Serious Magic Ultra (DV
based chroma key software) produced the same "source filter" error so the
problem is not limited to files that I have captured. Also, when I am in the
Encore and Ultra app's, the DV files are still not recognized so the problem
is not limited to just the WMP, it also manifests itself in app's that rely
on the player. As with bspeck, Quicktime plays the files fine. I am
stumped. Any help or response will be greatly appreciated.
Gregg

!