DVD Double Layer Media (discs) [DVD + R DL]

I have a HP Pavillion PC, with a Phillips DVD8421 writer. On the front of the
PC base unit there is a sticker that says "+RW 8x double layer" and from what
I can work out from various sites on the net, this writer is capable of
writing to double layer media. But my Pinnacle Studio 9 software still sees
the disc as 4.7Gb and not 8.5GB. Is this writer in fact capable of writing to
double layer media and if it can, what do i need to change to get my
software/ pc to realise that it is a dl disc?
--
phokaolcom
4 answers Last reply

    Check with Pinnacle to see if they have an update to their software. Roxio
    EMC 7 will happily write to dual layer discs as will the latest version of
    Nero. Since I don't have any Pinnacle software, that's something I can't
    check from here!
    www.coribright.com

    "phokaolcom" <phokaolcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a HP Pavillion PC, with a Phillips DVD8421 writer. On the front of
    >the
    > PC base unit there is a sticker that says "+RW 8x double layer" and from
    > what
    > I can work out from various sites on the net, this writer is capable of
    > writing to double layer media. But my Pinnacle Studio 9 software still
    > sees
    > the disc as 4.7Gb and not 8.5GB. Is this writer in fact capable of writing
    > double layer media and if it can, what do i need to change to get my
    > software/ pc to realise that it is a dl disc?
    > --
    > phokaolcom

    Thanks, will do - Pinnacle; any idea of if i can verfiy that the writer
    itself is in fact capabe of double layer, as aside from the sticker on the
    front, don't see anything in the device's properties, etc.

    "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

    > Check with Pinnacle to see if they have an update to their software. Roxio
    > EMC 7 will happily write to dual layer discs as will the latest version of
    > Nero. Since I don't have any Pinnacle software, that's something I can't
    > check from here!
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "phokaolcom" <phokaolcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a HP Pavillion PC, with a Phillips DVD8421 writer. On the front of
    > >the
    > > PC base unit there is a sticker that says "+RW 8x double layer" and from
    > > what
    > > I can work out from various sites on the net, this writer is capable of
    > > writing to double layer media. But my Pinnacle Studio 9 software still
    > > sees
    > > the disc as 4.7Gb and not 8.5GB. Is this writer in fact capable of writing
    > > double layer media and if it can, what do i need to change to get my
    > > software/ pc to realise that it is a dl disc?
    > > --
    > > phokaolcom

    This seems to be a review of your burner:

    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Sources/CeBIT%202004%20Show/Page_02.asp

    There are a couple of other articles saying it is a rebadged Benq drive, but
    no confirmations on that.

    > Thanks, will do - Pinnacle; any idea of if i can verfiy that the writer
    > itself is in fact capabe of double layer, as aside from the sticker on the
    > front, don't see anything in the device's properties, etc.
    >
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
    >
    >> Check with Pinnacle to see if they have an update to their software.
    >> Roxio
    >> EMC 7 will happily write to dual layer discs as will the latest version
    >> of
    >> Nero. Since I don't have any Pinnacle software, that's something I can't
    >> check from here!
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "phokaolcom" <phokaolcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a HP Pavillion PC, with a Phillips DVD8421 writer. On the front
    >> >of
    >> >the
    >> > PC base unit there is a sticker that says "+RW 8x double layer" and
    >> > from
    >> > what
    >> > I can work out from various sites on the net, this writer is capable of
    >> > writing to double layer media. But my Pinnacle Studio 9 software still
    >> > sees
    >> > the disc as 4.7Gb and not 8.5GB. Is this writer in fact capable of
    >> > writing
    >> > double layer media and if it can, what do i need to change to get my
    >> > software/ pc to realise that it is a dl disc?
    >> > --
    >> > phokaolcom

    "I believe I have the same system as you, Are you experiencing very
    poor audio quality when playing DVDs or Audio CDs on the Phillips
    drive ????

Video DVD Hewlett Packard Windows XP