Partition Magic Error 113, Overlapping Partitions

I recently re-partitioned my 80GB Seagate from a 5GB Primary FAT32 and
the rest a logical NTFS to the same primary but a Linux swap and main
partition in before the NTFS. (There is also a small Dell utility
partition at the start of the drive).

There have been no visible problems on either XP or fedora but I wanted
to replace fedora with FreeBSD, I went to re-partition again with PM
under XP but got the overlapping partiton error.

The user guide says the only real solution is to get my data off the
drive, and wipe the whole thing (presumably with some large magnets)
but I don't have another HDD to hold my data and there is no apparant
problem other than what PM is telling me.

Is there a way to correct the overlap and let me use PM again or do I
have to live with it? Any help appreciated.

btw, after getting as far as the BSD partition screen I aborted and
GRUB wouldn't work properly so I ran fixMBR (as the boot loader shows)
-------------------------------------

PowerQuest PartitionInfo -- Windows 2000 engine edition.
Date Generated: 06/21/2005 19:47:26

CPU Vendor: "GenuineIntel"
CPU Signature: 00000f27 CPU Features bfebfbff

***************************** BOOT.INI *****************************

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="The Teslacuted Operating
System" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

**************************** END PREPEND ***************************

Running Program - D:\Programs\Partition Magic\PMagicNT.exe

Disk 0: 9729 Cylinders, 255 Heads, 63 Sectors/Track.
============================ Partition Tables
==============================
Partition -----Begin---- ------End----- Start Num
Sector # Boot Cyl Head Sect FS Cyl Head Sect Sect
Sects
---------- - ---- ---- ---- ---- -- ---- ---- ---- ----------
----------
0 0 00 0 1 1 DE 4 254 63 63
80262
0 1 80 5 0 1 0B 657 254 63 80325
10490445
0 2 00 [ 658 0 1] 0F [1023 254 63] 10570770
145725615 [Large Drive Placeholders]
658 0 1 9728 254 63
Actual Values
10570770 0 00 [1023 1 1] 07 [1023 254 63] 23165793
133130592 [Large Drive Placeholders]
1442 1 1 9728 254 63
Actual Values
10570770 1 00 658 0 2 05 756 254 63 10570771
1590434
Info: Partition didn't begin on head boundary.
ucBeginSector expected to be 1, not 2.
10570771 0 00 658 2 1 82 756 254 63 10570896
1590309
Info: Partition didn't begin on head boundary.
ucBeginHead expected to be 0 or 1, not 2.
10570771 1 00 757 0 1 05 [1023 254 63] 12161205
11004525 [Large Drive Placeholders]
757 0 1 1441 254 63
Actual Values
12161205 0 00 757 1 1 83 [1023 254 63] 12161268
11004462 [Large Drive Placeholders]
757 1 1 1441 254 63
Actual Values

Disk[0], Part[10570771]: Warning #113: EPBR partition starting at
10570771 overlaps previous EPBR partition.

Disk[0], Part[10570896]: Info: Logical starting at 10570896 is not one
head away from EPBR.

Disk[0], Part[23165793]: Warning #113: Logical starting at 23165793
overlaps enclosing extended volume.

Disk[0], Part[23165793]: Error #114: Logical starting at 23165793 is
not one head away from EPBR.
10 answers Last reply
More about partition magic error overlapping partitions

    I suggest you use Partition Table Doctor to resolve your
    problem.The software provides very useful functions:
    Backup partition table, Restore partition table, Rebuild
    partition table, undelete partition, Fix boot sector,
    rebuild mbr,etc.

    First thing I recommend you download the demo version of
    Partition Table Doctor.( http://www.ptdd.com/download.htm )

    Run the program and select "Rebuild Partition Table",
    then choose "Interactive" mode. If you can find the partition
    you need, that is Partition Table Doctor can help you.

    See more: http://www.ptdd.com/recoverylostpartition.htm
    http://www.ptdd.com/recoverdeletedpartition.htm
    http://www.ptdd.com/partition-recovery.htm

    On 21 Jun 2005 12:43:28 -0700, "Teslacuted Protoneous"
    <Teslacuted@gmail.com> wrote:

    >I recently re-partitioned my 80GB Seagate from a 5GB Primary FAT32 and
    >the rest a logical NTFS to the same primary but a Linux swap and main
    >partition in before the NTFS. (There is also a small Dell utility
    >partition at the start of the drive).
    >
    >There have been no visible problems on either XP or fedora but I wanted
    >to replace fedora with FreeBSD, I went to re-partition again with PM
    >under XP but got the overlapping partiton error.

    It's the way the EPBRs are set up. For example, the first one (at LBA
    10570770) points to the NTFS logical drive which is the last logical
    drive in the partition (resulting in the 3rd and 4th complaints in the
    list at the end of the partinfo report).

    >The user guide says the only real solution is to get my data off the
    >drive, and wipe the whole thing (presumably with some large magnets)
    >but I don't have another HDD to hold my data and there is no apparant
    >problem other than what PM is telling me.

    Well, its just telling you that it cannot work with the situation as
    it stands. I doubt that any disk utility could. It really is a mess.

    >Is there a way to correct the overlap and let me use PM again or do I
    >have to live with it? Any help appreciated.

    It is possible to edit the EPBRs to get rid of all but the second
    complaint (AFAIK, nothing can be done about that one), but you would
    need professional help with that, I think.

    Bob

    "Teslacuted Protoneous" <Teslacuted@gmail.com> wrote in message

    > The user guide says the only real solution is to get my data off the
    > drive, and wipe the whole thing (presumably with some large magnets)

    I'd burn all the data to CDs or something, wipe the drive clean, and start
    from scratch. Once you have your data backed up, boot from an old DOS or
    Windows 98 boot disk and type the following Debug script. This will wipe the
    boot sector of the hard drive which essentially makes it appear as a brand
    new unpartitioned drive to any disk partitioning software. I'd definately do
    this since it sounds as though your partition structure is corrupted or
    invalid in some manner. You wouldn't want to risk using the drive again only
    to find that something remains inconsistent from before.

    In the following, begin typing with "F" and "A" on the first two lines. The
    dash is your cursor and would not be typed. However, with the third line
    down the address number should be displayed on your screen. Begin typing
    with "MOV" and "INT" in this main block of lines.

    DEBUG (ENTER)

    -F 220 L1000 0 (ENTER)
    -A CS: 100 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0100 MOV AX,301 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0103 MOV BX,200 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0106 MOV CX,1 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0109 MOV DX,80 (ENTER) <---"80" for hd1, "81" for hd2 >
    xxxx:010C INT 13 (ENTER)
    xxxx:010E INT 20 (ENTER)
    xxxx:0110 (ENTER) <-------BLANK LINE "VERY IMPORTANT" >
    -G (ENTER)

    This shouldn't even take half a second to do its dirty work. When its done,
    it should say "program terminated normally". Now you MUST reboot the
    computer. Do NOT attempt to format the hard drive without rebooting, because
    your operating system is resident in memory and remembers the drive the way
    it previously was partitioned. You need to reboot for the OS to refresh its
    idea of what your partition structure is before you can attempt to do
    anything with the drive. After rebooting, run your favorite disk
    partitioning software and reinstall the OS and all of your software.

    Good luck!

    -Jeff

    Jeff P <jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote in message
    > Teslacuted Protoneous <Teslacuted@gmail.com> wrote

    >> The user guide says the only real solution is to get my data off the
    >> drive, and wipe the whole thing (presumably with some large magnets)

    > I'd burn all the data to CDs or something, wipe the drive clean, and start
    > from scratch. Once you have your data backed up, boot from an old DOS or
    > Windows 98 boot disk and type the following Debug script. This will wipe the
    > boot sector of the hard drive which essentially makes it appear as a brand new
    > unpartitioned drive to any disk partitioning software.

    Much more viable to use something like clearhdd to do that.

    >> Once you have your data backed up, boot from an old DOS or Windows 98
    >> boot disk and type the following Debug script. This will wipe the boot
    >> sector of the hard drive which essentially makes it appear as a brand new
    >> unpartitioned drive to any disk partitioning software.
    >
    > Much more viable to use something like clearhdd to do that.

    Rod,

    What do you mean by "more viable"? I suppose it may be fewer keystrokes, but
    I don't have clearhdd or wish to bother taking the time to look for it. When
    I'm fooling with a hard drive or partition problem, I almost always have a
    plain old boot disk handy from which I can run the debug command. This debug
    script has proven to be a "viable" and effective tool for this purpose, as
    I've been using it for over 10 years without ever once encountering a
    problem. I've used it to fix all sorts of drives that fdisk and partition
    magic refused to touch prior to doing so.

    -Jeff

    > When
    > I'm fooling with a hard drive or partition problem, I almost always have a
    > plain old boot disk handy from which I can run the debug command.

    Do you boot from CD?

    "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    >> When
    >> I'm fooling with a hard drive or partition problem, I almost always have
    >> plain old boot disk handy from which I can run the debug command.
    >
    > Do you boot from CD?

    Sometimes. It depends on what I'm doing. I even have boot floppy images
    copied to bootable CDs. Basically it's just a CD with a Windows 98 boot
    floppy partitioned on the first couple megs, and the rest used for storage
    of all sorts of nifty little programs that come in handy.

    The old windows 98 boot floppies are always handy though because they can be
    created in minutes from any computer regardless of OS, boot the system with
    a variety of dos tools on them, and are preconfigured with cd-rom drivers.

    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >>> Once you have your data backed up, boot from an old DOS or Windows 98 boot
    >>> disk and type the following Debug script. This will wipe the boot sector of
    >>> the hard drive which essentially makes it appear as a brand new
    >>> unpartitioned drive to any disk partitioning software.

    >> Much more viable to use something like clearhdd to do that.

    > What do you mean by "more viable"?

    Lot quicker and easier to do, much safer because clearhdd
    asks for confirmation twice before wiping the drive, etc etc etc.

    > I suppose it may be fewer keystrokes, but I don't have clearhdd

    Easy to fix.

    > or wish to bother taking the time to look for it.

    You're unlikely to have that debug script in your head.
    And what matters is that he certainly wont have.

    > When I'm fooling with a hard drive or partition problem, I almost always have
    > a plain old boot disk handy from which I can run the debug command.

    Makes more sense to have clearhdd on that boot disk.

    > This debug script has proven to be a "viable" and effective tool for this
    > purpose, as I've been using it for over 10 years without ever once
    > encountering a problem.

    And clearhdd is just as effective and rather more viable.

    > I've used it to fix all sorts of drives that fdisk and partition magic refused
    > to touch prior to doing so.

    Yes, and clearhdd wipes the drive just as effectively,
    and is a hell of a lot simpler to invoke.

    > Yes, and clearhdd wipes the drive just as effectively,
    > and is a hell of a lot simpler to invoke.

    Yes, but it isn't within an arms reach when I need to run it.

    message news:11bm9n7nv8jsl44@corp.supernews.com...
    > Rod Speed <rod_speed@yahoo.com> wrote

    >> Yes, and clearhdd wipes the drive just as effectively,
    >> and is a hell of a lot simpler to invoke.

    > Yes, but it isn't within an arms reach when I need to run it.

    Then it should be.

Partition Storage