PC Inspector's Clone Maxx - any experience to share?

PC Inspector's Clone Maxx sounds interesting
because it can be booted from a floppy disk.
http://www.pcinspector.de/clone-maxx/uk/welcome.htm

Has anyone personal experience with it to report?
My only need is for cloning single bootable partitions
from one hard drive to another, but it's got to be
quick (i.e. sector-by-sector copying).

*TimDaniels*

atraylor

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
I've cloned two dual boot Fedora-Windows XP PCs with it and it worked fine. I had problems with it going from a larger drive to a smaller drive, and that copy failed, but I tried it again going the other direction, and it worked great. These were IDE drives. It seemed to limit the size of the destination drive to 128GB, but that was fine with me. This freeware program solved a problem I had cloning dual boot PCs with hard drives that contained both Linux and Windows partitions, and as long as I leave the partition table on the new copy alone, the Grub boot loader works. It cloned a 128GB drive in about 45 minutes. AT

atraylor

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
I have also discovered that it works much better if the source of the copy is the Primary IDE bus. I started a copy from the Secondary bus to the Primary bus and that copy failed. I just reversed the IDE cables on my motherboard to make the Secondary the Primary and vice versa, and that copy worked fine. It changed the UDMA mode from #4 to fallback #3 during this copy, I think because of the firmware in the source disk drive, but it worked.