Need help Using Windows Media Player with a DVD.

I am using Win'XP with Windows Media Player and SP2. For many months I
assumed that I would never look at media on Win'XP. Then a few days ago I
received a DVD in the mail. I placed it into the CD-ROM drive and opened
windows media player. Nothing worked. I looked at the DVD through Windows
Explorer. It appeared to be empty. Then after screwing around with it for
a few minutes I started hearing the DVD. The image was limited to about
2"x2" in the lower right hand side of the screen. I then used OPEN to look
at the CD through the File menu. Again there was nothing there.

I clearly need some instructions on using Windows Media Player with
DVDs. Where should I go?

Don J

peter

To the store to buy a DVD PLAYER..........you seem to only have a CD-ROM drive
peter
"Don J" <dej4400@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I am using Win'XP with Windows Media Player and SP2. For many months I
> assumed that I would never look at media on Win'XP. Then a few days ago I
> received a DVD in the mail. I placed it into the CD-ROM drive and opened
> windows media player. Nothing worked. I looked at the DVD through Windows
> Explorer. It appeared to be empty. Then after screwing around with it for a
> few minutes I started hearing the DVD. The image was limited to about 2"x2"
> in the lower right hand side of the screen. I then used OPEN to look at the
> CD through the File menu. Again there was nothing there.
>
> I clearly need some instructions on using Windows Media Player with DVDs.
> Where should I go?
>
> Don J

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You go to the Media Player newsgroup for help; after you buy and install a
DVD player in additon to your CD ROM drive.

"Don J" <dej4400@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I am using Win'XP with Windows Media Player and SP2. For many months I
> assumed that I would never look at media on Win'XP. Then a few days ago I
> received a DVD in the mail. I placed it into the CD-ROM drive and opened
> windows media player. Nothing worked. I looked at the DVD through
> Windows Explorer. It appeared to be empty. Then after screwing around
> with it for a few minutes I started hearing the DVD. The image was
> limited to about 2"x2" in the lower right hand side of the screen. I then
> used OPEN to look at the CD through the File menu. Again there was
> nothing there.
>
> I clearly need some instructions on using Windows Media Player with
> DVDs. Where should I go?
>
> Don J

You'll also need some dvd playing software as wmp does not have the
neccessary codec on it's own. You will then be able to watch it in either
wmp or the dvd playing software.

Graham

--
Graham Hughes