Problems with programs, help files, excel, on partitioned ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.excel,comp.windows.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Good Morning,

Not sure where to post or where to start with this one.

I have a hard drive with several partitions. Windows 2000 and IE are
on the C: partition and everything else is in it's own partition. So
Office 2000 is installed in the "Program Files" Partition and "My
Documents" and other data folders have their own partitions. I used
TweakUI to make sure everyone knows where they are.

Everything works fine except for help files and maybe some stuff in
Excel's VBA editor (such as certain scripts not being able to run
properly).

The help files I'm sure about though. The Windows help files don't
even show up. I can select a topic from the index but then I get
nothing; maybe an IE error page. Thankfully, I'm able to read most of
the Excel help files but none of the links show up. I get empty
placeholders instead.

This is a relatively new install and I'm not sure what is causing the
problem but my main suspect is the partitioning of the hard drive. If
anyone could shed some light on this problem I would really appreciate
it.

Thanks,
Laylow

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to
get better. It's not." -Dr. Seuss

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.excel,comp.windows.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

I'm slow to respond here because I am accessing through Google groups.
Takes a couple hours for anything to show up.

Yeah, my hard drive is extremely formatted but that seems to be what
most of the advice was that I found. My hd is formatted very similarly
to the description here http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm
But you think I should move Office back onto C then, eh?

I'm considering it but I would rather be able to just fix this without
messing with partitions right now.

Thanks

"laylow" <laylow@antisocial.com> wrote in message
> Good Morning,
>
> Not sure where to post or where to start with this one.
>
> I have a hard drive with several partitions. Windows 2000 and IE are
> on the C: partition and everything else is in it's own partition. So
> Office 2000 is installed in the "Program Files" Partition and "My
> Documents" and other data folders have their own partitions. I used
> TweakUI to make sure everyone knows where they are.
>
> Everything works fine except for help files and maybe some stuff in
> Excel's VBA editor (such as certain scripts not being able to run
> properly).
>
> The help files I'm sure about though. The Windows help files don't
> even show up. I can select a topic from the index but then I get
> nothing; maybe an IE error page. Thankfully, I'm able to read most of
> the Excel help files but none of the links show up. I get empty
> placeholders instead.

> This is a relatively new install and I'm not sure what is causing the
> problem but my main suspect is the partitioning of the hard drive.

Yes, that is a mad way to partition a drive.

Its generally better to have a single boot partition which
has the OS and all the programs like Office etc in it.

Its quite easy to have a separate partition for
the data like the My Documents tree etc.

There isnt any point in separate partitions for stuff like Office.

Rod Speed wrote:
> laylow <laylow@antisocial.com> wrote in message
>
> > I'm slow to respond here because I am accessing through
> > Google groups. Takes a couple hours for anything to show up.
>
> Yeah, its not that viable for routine news reading.

It's the only option from my work computer.

> Nope, I cant recall anyone suggesting a separate
> partition for each major program like Office.
>
> > My hd is formatted very similarly to the
> > description here http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm
>
> It doesnt suggest a separate partition for each major program,
> just one partition for the OS and one for all the installed programs.

All of the programs are in the "Program Files" folder on their own
partition, not every program in its own partition. When I said
"everything else" I was referring to the standard folders that programs
and files are stored in. I guess you were thinking that after
installing my 20th program I would be asking "what comes after z: "?
:]

Thanks anyway.

I would still like to just fix my help file problem. I know how to
format and reinstall so I don't need help with that. If there is
anyone that knows how to actually FIX the problem I would really
appreciate their advice.

Thanks,
Laylow

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to
get better. It's not." -Dr. Seuss

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.excel,comp.windows.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

laylow <laylow@antisocial.com> wrote in message

> I'm slow to respond here because I am accessing through
> Google groups. Takes a couple hours for anything to show up.

Yeah, its not that viable for routine news reading.

And you should be hitting the Show Options link and using
the Reply in there, that quotes the post you are replying to.

> Yeah, my hard drive is extremely formatted

I'd have used a different word starting with f myself |-(

> but that seems to be what most of the advice was that I found.

Nope, I cant recall anyone suggesting a separate
partition for each major program like Office.

> My hd is formatted very similarly to the
> description here http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm

It doesnt suggest a separate partition for each major program,
just one partition for the OS and one for all the installed programs.

And he doesnt say why that makes sense, and it doesnt anyway.

If you need to reinstall a modern OS, you need to reinstall
all the major programs anyway because of the registry.

> But you think I should move Office back onto C then, eh?

I'd personally cut to the chase and get rid of the bizarre set of partitions.

At most have one for the OS and programs and another for the data.

> I'm considering it but I would rather be able to just
> fix this without messing with partitions right now.

Its probably possible, but I dont plan to try to work out what you need to do.
Too laborious to try that bizarre config to see what needs to be done.

> Rod Speed wrote
>> laylow <laylow@antisocial.com> wrote

>>> I'm slow to respond here because I am accessing through
>>> Google groups. Takes a couple hours for anything to show up.

>> Yeah, its not that viable for routine news reading.

> It's the only option from my work computer.

Yeah, thats the main reason for using groups.google for routine news reading.

>> Nope, I cant recall anyone suggesting a separate
>> partition for each major program like Office.

>>> My hd is formatted very similarly to the
>>> description here http://aumha.org/a/parts.htm

>> It doesnt suggest a separate partition for each major program,
>> just one partition for the OS and one for all the installed programs.

> All of the programs are in the "Program Files" folder on
> their own partition, not every program in its own partition.

OK, your original didnt say that very clearly.

> When I said "everything else" I was referring to the
> standard folders that programs and files are stored in.

You actually said

> I guess you were thinking that after installing my 20th
> program I would be asking "what comes after z: "? :]

I thought you actually meant everthing major had its own partition.

> Thanks anyway.

> I would still like to just fix my help file problem. I know
> how to format and reinstall so I don't need help with
> that. If there is anyone that knows how to actually
> FIX the problem I would really appreciate their advice.

I'd still do a reinstall and have just one partition for the OS and
programs. There are likely some real quirks with them in separate
partitions and I cant be bothered setting up a config like that to
work out how to work around them. It isnt really possible to be sure
what you may have done in an attempt to 'fix' the problem already.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.excel,comp.windows.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

Can only say I've had few problems with OS on Drive C, most programs on
Drive D, and most data on Drive E.

Bill

Bill Sharpe <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message

> Can only say I've had few problems with OS on Drive C,
> most programs on Drive D, and most data on Drive E.

Have you actually done what he said he had a problem with tho ?

Thats always a risk with unusual configs, they have never been
used at anything like the rate of the standard simple config of
a single partition for the OS and programs, and so bugs/warts
can bite you.