Want advice on getting a new CDRW drive

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
June 22, 2005 3:08:10 PM

Hello,

As some of you already know, I've been having problems making a CD of
files on my HD. I either get errors while burning, or can't read the
disc in Explorer after burning it. I've tryed CDRs and CDRWs, 3
different brands of discs, and using Roxio and Nero. Everything has
failed. I've read that CDRs are pretty reliable, so I'm thinking my
drive is bad.

I can only afford around $30 for a drive. I saw several in my price
range at CDW.COM. Are there any special things that I should look for,
besides being IDE? What are some good brands / models in my price
range?

Thanks,

Ralph

More about : advice cdrw drive

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 22, 2005 9:37:02 PM

oppie1965 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As some of you already know, I've been having problems making a CD of
> files on my HD. I either get errors while burning, or can't read the
> disc in Explorer after burning it. I've tryed CDRs and CDRWs, 3
> different brands of discs, and using Roxio and Nero. Everything has
> failed. I've read that CDRs are pretty reliable, so I'm thinking my
> drive is bad.
>
> I can only afford around $30 for a drive. I saw several in my price
> range at CDW.COM. Are there any special things that I should look for,
> besides being IDE? What are some good brands / models in my price
> range?

If you look at newegg.com you'll find a number of CD burners for around $20
plus $4 shipping. Personally I'd go with a lite-on. No DVD burners for
under 40 though.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

oppie1965 <oppie1965@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> As some of you already know, I've been having problems making a CD of
> files on my HD. I either get errors while burning, or can't read the
> disc in Explorer after burning it. I've tryed CDRs and CDRWs, 3
> different brands of discs, and using Roxio and Nero. Everything has
> failed. I've read that CDRs are pretty reliable, so I'm thinking my
> drive is bad.

> I can only afford around $30 for a drive. I saw several in my price
> range at CDW.COM. Are there any special things that I should look for,
> besides being IDE? What are some good brands / models in my price
> range?

I prefer the Liteons with CDRW drives. Whatever model is good price wise.
a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 8:11:54 AM

> oppie1965 <oppie1965@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > As some of you already know, I've been having problems making a CD of
> > files on my HD. I either get errors while burning, or can't read the
> > disc in Explorer after burning it. I've tryed CDRs and CDRWs, 3
> > different brands of discs, and using Roxio and Nero. Everything has
> > failed. I've read that CDRs are pretty reliable, so I'm thinking my
> > drive is bad.
>
> > I can only afford around $30 for a drive. I saw several in my price

I've no idea if this DVD writer is any good but price sound ok..
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/about37768.html
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 12:50:31 PM

Thanks for the ideas. While looking at drives online, I clicked on a
link for an IDE CDRW drive, and when the description came up, it said
that it was an ATA interface. Are ATA and IDE the same or
interchangeable?

Thanks,

Ralph
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 1:57:40 PM

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 17:37:02 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>If you look at newegg.com you'll find a number of CD burners for around $20
>plus $4 shipping. Personally I'd go with a lite-on. No DVD burners for
>under 40 though.

I'll 3rd the recommendation for inexpensive Lite-ons. They're hard to
beat for the money.

There's a lot to be said for scraping up a few extra bucks for a DVD
burner if you ever need that higher capacity. Blanks are getting
cheap. The NECs are a good bet.

a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 3:36:23 PM

oppie1965 wrote:

> Thanks for the ideas. While looking at drives online, I clicked on a
> link for an IDE CDRW drive, and when the description came up, it said
> that it was an ATA interface. Are ATA and IDE the same or
> interchangeable?

They are the same/interchangeable.

This looks good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 6:23:28 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 11:36:23 -0700, smh <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote:

>They are the same/interchangeable.
>
>This looks good:
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Dang! A useful post from SMH with no spew!

Keep up the good work, bud!

a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 8:19:54 AM

> While looking at drives online, I clicked on a link for an IDE CDRW drive,
> and when the description came up, it said that it was an ATA interface.
> Are ATA and IDE the same or interchangeable?

Yes, just different names for the same thing.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 5:19:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the price, just worried that you get
what you pay for. I'm thinking about it. I was thinking about a Sony,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682..., but
it's a DVD player, too. I really don't need a dvd player, though. I
just don't want another one to do what this one has done almost from
the time I got it. I've gotten 3 recommendations for Lite-ON, so maybe
I'll go with that. The Sony doesn't come with Nero, and the Lite-on
does.

Ralph
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 5:57:18 PM

On 24 Jun 2005 13:19:23 -0700, "oppie1965" <oppie1965@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestion. I like the price, just worried that you get
>what you pay for. I'm thinking about it. I was thinking about a Sony,
>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682..., but
>it's a DVD player, too. I really don't need a dvd player, though. I
>just don't want another one to do what this one has done almost from
>the time I got it. I've gotten 3 recommendations for Lite-ON, so maybe
>I'll go with that. The Sony doesn't come with Nero, and the Lite-on
>does.

I don't know this model, but I've had mixed luck with Sony in general,
and prefer not to buy them unless there's a compelling reason. I've
never had a bad Lite-on burner yet, out of a half-dozen or so
(including a standalone DVD burner).

a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 6:16:10 PM

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Neil Maxwell (Mikey S-licker) wrote:

> Dang! A useful post from SMH with no spew!

==========================
Neil Maxwell Peeper ???!!!
==========================

Neil Maxwell spewed (3/1/04):

> It's an interesting enigma. SMH actually has something useful to say
> sometimes, but wading through the endless fixations is a Herculean
> task, and I never attempt it. He could actually contribute if he
> dropped this endless vendetta.

"Never attemp" to wade through, but knows "has something useful to say"!

Do you also peep?

------------------------------------
Mike Richter (the King Troll) Peeps?
------------------------------------

Mike Richter (the King Troll) spewed (10/17/02):

> I don't read him ...

Is it now -plain- "don't read", Mikey? Maybe you took a peep at the
following?

From: smh
Date: 8/1/02

Mike Richter (the King Troll) spewed (7/26/02):

> Sammy has no information; he has collected, transformed, confused
> and distorted all sorts of snippets from others, but his own
> knowledge is nil.

How do you know all that --without-- reading?

-------------------------
From: smh
Date: 5/9/02
Subject: Mike Richter & "Once is not enough"

Mike Richter (the King Troll) spewed (5/8/02):

> > are you the Mr. Richter that the "smh" guy is always
> > talking about?
>
> I assume that I am the person it refers to.
> I don't read its drivel

You don't read, but you know it's drivel!
No doubt only The King Troll can pull off such a trick!
----------------------------

a b G Storage
June 25, 2005 1:52:49 AM

On 22/06/05 19:08, oppie1965 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As some of you already know, I've been having problems making a CD of
> files on my HD. I either get errors while burning, or can't read the
> disc in Explorer after burning it. I've tryed CDRs and CDRWs, 3
> different brands of discs, and using Roxio and Nero. Everything has
> failed. I've read that CDRs are pretty reliable, so I'm thinking my
> drive is bad.
>
> I can only afford around $30 for a drive. I saw several in my price
> range at CDW.COM. Are there any special things that I should look for,
> besides being IDE? What are some good brands / models in my price
> range?

Any Plextor.

> Thanks,
>
> Ralph

Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 27, 2005 4:59:04 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:52:17 -0700, smh <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote:

>snippage

Heh! There you go. Try to give someone an attaboy for a meaningful
contribution, and it just pulls the same old chain, letting out the
same old spew. That's what I get for dropping a dollar into the cup
of the hand-waving ranter on the corner.

What is it about this NG that attracts all these trolls? We've got a
new one (and he's a doozie), but all the old ones are unusually active
recently.

June 28, 2005 1:31:05 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:59:04 -0700, Neil Maxwell
<neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote:

>What is it about this NG that attracts all these trolls?

Too many fools.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"The possession of arms is the distinction
between a free man and a slave."
-- Andrew Fletcher, Discourse on Government (1695)
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 2:08:04 PM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 21:31:05 GMT, spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:59:04 -0700, Neil Maxwell
><neil.maxwell@intel.com> wrote:
>
>>What is it about this NG that attracts all these trolls?
>
>Too many fools.

Indeed!

a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 2:47:56 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:16:10 -0700, smh <smhong@mindspring.com> wrote:

>> It's an interesting enigma. SMH actually has something useful to say
>> sometimes, but wading through the endless fixations is a Herculean
>> task, and I never attempt it. He could actually contribute if he
>> dropped this endless vendetta.
>
>"Never attemp" to wade through, but knows "has something useful to say"!

I'll admit, I saw an SMH post that was just a few lines long, and
thought "What could this mean?". I double-clicked, and lo! A useful
post, with no blather.

So, here I am, actually having something resembling a discussion with
the most infamous troll of CSIPHS (and THAT'S saying something!). I
generally don't treat with trolls once they go into troll mode.

My curiosity will be my undoing yet, especially in concert with my
optimism regarding human nature.

a b G Storage
June 28, 2005 6:01:34 PM

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Neil Maxwell (Mikey S-licker) slurped:

> I'll admit, I saw an SMH post that was just a few lines long, and
> thought "What could this mean?". I double-clicked, and lo! A useful
> post, with no blather.

Blather like this?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(pioneer)

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 4/18/04

Not all burners support multisession on DVD.
My [Pioneer] A103 apparently does not, my A107 does. <=== Pioneer YES
======================

Wow! Multisession on DVD with Pioneer !!

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 6/30/04

The only supported DVD-ROM format I have seen is DAO.

My experience is with WinOnCD 5 and Nero 6.
Neither allows me to write TAO ...

to either of my Pioneer DVD writers. <=== Pioneer No
=======================

Wow! No multisession on DVD with Pioneer !!

-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
-------------------------------

Mikey, you are the Slimiest Friggin SOB!

--------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 29, 2005 4:30:16 PM

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )
'

Neil Maxwell (Mikey S-licker) slurped:

> I'll admit, I saw an SMH post that was just a few lines long, and
> thought "What could this mean?". I double-clicked, and lo! A useful
> post, with no blather.

Blather like this?

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dvd multisession)(yes/no)

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 4/18/04

Not all burners support multisession on DVD.
My A103 apparently does not, my A107 does. <=== Multi YES
======================

Wow! Multisession on DVD !!

======================
From: Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin SOB)
Date: 8/10/04

DVD-ROM is normally and I believe exclusively
written DAO, hence only single-session. <=== Multi NO

Wow! No multisession on DVD !!

Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!

!