Sabrent 3.5" hard disk USB enclosure keeps crashing

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 11:27:36 AM

I have a Sabrent 3.5" IDE Hard Disk to USB enclosure kit. I have tried a
couple of different hard drives in this on four different computers (3
windows, 1 mac) and have experienced the same problem on all configurations.

The device will begin to work fine. If you select a folder of several files,
even small files, to copy to or from this drive, it will begin to copy the
files. However, after only about 15 to 20 seconds of file transfer, the
drive will mysteriously just power off in the middle of what you are doing.
Windows will freeze up for a bit when this happens, and then wake up and
accuse me of unsafely removing the device without shutting it down properly.

You can leave the drive plugged in and running all day without any problems
until after you have begun copying files to or from it. It always seems to
get a hand ful of files copied and then it just stops. All of the hard
drives I have tried in the unit are in perfect working order as they work
flawlessly when connected to an IDE port instead of this USB enclosure. I
have tried wiping the drives clean, creating a new partition table, and
formatting them both for FAT32 and later NTFS. I continue to run into the
same problem no matter what I try.

There does not appear to be a more recent firmware update available. The
drivers self-install in Windows XP and there are not newer ones available. I
couldn't find any documentation about this problem on Sabrent's lousy
website. I don't know what else to try.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 11:27:37 AM

I have a Sabrent enclosure with Genesys chip. No problems with a single platter drive.

If the drive stops spinning, then it is a power problem. If it just goes offline, suspect the chip
or it's firmware. What does eventvwr say about system errors?

"Jeff P" <jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote in message news:11bl75ca1thjnf4@corp.supernews.com...
> I have a Sabrent 3.5" IDE Hard Disk to USB enclosure kit. I have tried a
> couple of different hard drives in this on four different computers (3
> windows, 1 mac) and have experienced the same problem on all configurations.
>
> The device will begin to work fine. If you select a folder of several files,
> even small files, to copy to or from this drive, it will begin to copy the
> files. However, after only about 15 to 20 seconds of file transfer, the
> drive will mysteriously just power off in the middle of what you are doing.
> Windows will freeze up for a bit when this happens, and then wake up and
> accuse me of unsafely removing the device without shutting it down properly.

June 23, 2005 3:14:21 PM

> I have a Sabrent 3.5" IDE Hard Disk to USB enclosure kit. I have tried a
> couple of different hard drives in this on four different computers (3
> windows, 1 mac) and have experienced the same problem on all
configurations.

> The device will begin to work fine. If you select a folder of several
files,
> even small files, to copy to or from this drive, it will begin to copy the
> files. However, after only about 15 to 20 seconds of file transfer, the
> drive will mysteriously just power off in the middle of what you are
doing.
> Windows will freeze up for a bit when this happens, and then wake up and
> accuse me of unsafely removing the device without shutting it down
properly.

> You can leave the drive plugged in and running all day without any
problems
> until after you have begun copying files to or from it. It always seems to
> get a hand ful of files copied and then it just stops. All of the hard
> drives I have tried in the unit are in perfect working order as they work
> flawlessly when connected to an IDE port instead of this USB enclosure. I
> have tried wiping the drives clean, creating a new partition table, and
> formatting them both for FAT32 and later NTFS. I continue to run into the
> same problem no matter what I try.
>
> There does not appear to be a more recent firmware update available. The
> drivers self-install in Windows XP and there are not newer ones available.
> couldn't find any documentation about this problem on Sabrent's lousy
> website. I don't know what else to try.
>
> Any ideas?

Is it a SBT-ESU35 model?
What is the power supply rating written on it?

What model hard drives did you try in it?
a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 4:12:27 PM

"Jeff P" <jeffpNO@SPAMruralramp.net> wrote in message
> I have a Sabrent 3.5" IDE Hard Disk to USB enclosure kit. I have tried a
> couple of different hard drives in this on four different computers (3
> windows, 1 mac) and have experienced the same problem on all
configurations.

> The device will begin to work fine. If you select a folder of several
files,
> even small files, to copy to or from this drive, it will begin to copy the
> files. However, after only about 15 to 20 seconds of file transfer, the
> drive will mysteriously just power off in the middle of what you are
doing.
> Windows will freeze up for a bit when this happens, and then wake up and
> accuse me of unsafely removing the device without shutting it down
properly.

My guess is that the power supply in the USB enclosure isn't up to the job.

> You can leave the drive plugged in and running all day without any
problems
> until after you have begun copying files to or from it. It always seems to
> get a hand ful of files copied and then it just stops. All of the hard
> drives I have tried in the unit are in perfect working order as they work
> flawlessly when connected to an IDE port instead of this USB enclosure. I
> have tried wiping the drives clean, creating a new partition table, and
> formatting them both for FAT32 and later NTFS. I continue to run into the
> same problem no matter what I try.
>
> There does not appear to be a more recent firmware update available. The
> drivers self-install in Windows XP and there are not newer ones available.
> couldn't find any documentation about this problem on Sabrent's lousy
> website. I don't know what else to try.
>
> Any ideas?

Try a different USB enclosure.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 23, 2005 6:11:14 PM

"Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:o lAue.74639$Kk4.928270@news20.bellglobal.com...

> Is it a SBT-ESU35 model?
> What is the power supply rating written on it?
>
> What model hard drives did you try in it?

Yes, that's the one. I've tried a Western Digtern Caviar 30.7 GB
307AA-00ANA0 drive, a Seagate 80 GB ST380020A drive, and a Western Digital
10 GB WD100EB-00CSF0 drive. All yield the same results.

I'm using the Wemtech AD-0201201 AC/DC 12 volt 1.66 Amp adapter power supply
that came with the Sabrent enclosure.

At the moment the device ceases to function, you an hear a click and the
typical spin-down noise that you hear from a hard drive when your desktop
machine enters sleep mode. However, the drive either remains spinning after
this or it spins back up because you can feel it running inside.

As to Eric's question, the Event Viewer says a whole bunch of stuff as I've
pasted below. Most noteably is the entry at the bottom "An error was
detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation."

Thanks,
Jeff

The APPLICATION section posts these log events:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceOperationEvent WHERE
TargetInstance ISA 'AntiVirusProduct' OR TargetInstance ISA
'FirewallProduct'" could not be (re)activated in namespace
"//./ROOT/SecurityCenter" because of error 0x80041010. Events may not be
delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.
The Windows Security Center Service has stopped.
The Windows Security Center Service has started.

The SECURITY section posts these entries:

Successful Logon:
User Name: LOCAL SERVICE
Domain: NT AUTHORITY
Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E5)
Logon Type: 5
Logon Process: Advapi
Authentication Package: Negotiate
Workstation Name:
Logon GUID: {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Special privileges assigned to new logon:
User Name: LOCAL SERVICE
Domain: NT AUTHORITY
Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E5)
Privileges: SeAuditPrivilege
SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
SeChangeNotifyPrivilege
[...]

The SYSTEM section shows:

The Security Center service was successfully sent a stop control.
The Security Center service entered the stopped state.
The Security Center service was successfully sent a start control.
The Security Center service entered the running state.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging
operation.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging
operation.
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 1:15:07 AM

> "Peter" <peterfoxghost@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> news:o lAue.74639$Kk4.928270@news20.bellglobal.com...
> >
> > Is it a SBT-ESU35 model?
> > What is the power supply rating written on it?
> >
> > What model hard drives did you try in it?
> >

> Yes, that's the one. I've tried a Western Digtern Caviar 30.7 GB
> 307AA-00ANA0 drive, a Seagate 80 GB ST380020A drive, and a Western Digital
> 10 GB WD100EB-00CSF0 drive. All yield the same results.
>
> I'm using the Wemtech AD-0201201 AC/DC 12 volt 1.66 Amp adapter power
supply
> that came with the Sabrent enclosure.
>
> At the moment the device ceases to function, you an hear a click and the
> typical spin-down noise

It's clearly a power supply problem as I said.