DVD/CD autoplay menu - editing paths?

This is regarding the window that appears when a DVD or CD is inserted into
the drive: "...choose an action for Windows to perform when this type is
used..."

For no apparent reason, when I select the WinDVD player, Windows Media
Player launches. (WMP also launches when I select WMP.) If I manually
launch WinDVD from its desktop icon, it will play the DVD fine.

Any idea where this autoplay program resides and how I may restore the
proper path so that it will find WinDVD once again? It worked before, and
no media players have been installed since.

I am running Windows XP Home, SP 1.

Thank you,
Adam
4 answers Last reply
More about autoplay menu editing paths

    Adam Conlea Wrote:
    > This is regarding the window that appears when a DVD or CD is inserted
    > into
    > the drive: "...choose an action for Windows to perform when this type
    > is
    > used..."
    >
    > For no apparent reason, when I select the WinDVD player, Windows Media
    > Player launches. (WMP also launches when I select WMP.) If I
    > manually
    > launch WinDVD from its desktop icon, it will play the DVD fine.
    >
    > Any idea where this autoplay program resides and how I may restore the
    > proper path so that it will find WinDVD once again? It worked before,
    > and
    > no media players have been installed since.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home, SP 1.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Adam

    Hi Adam,

    I would suggest to try the information supplied on the following page:

    http://tinyurl.com/admo

    --
    smacky

    Thanks for the link, smacky!

    Since Autoplay still works fine -- it's just pointing to the wrong player
    when an option is clicked -- I think I'll leave well enough alone. I'm too
    scared to mess around with the registry, but was hoping I could locate the
    program that handles the Autoplay options and edit its program paths.

    -Adam

    Adam Conlea Wrote:
    > Thanks for the link, smacky!
    >
    > Since Autoplay still works fine -- it's just pointing to the wrong
    > player
    > when an option is clicked -- I think I'll leave well enough alone. I'm
    > too
    > scared to mess around with the registry, but was hoping I could locate
    > the
    > program that handles the Autoplay options and edit its program paths.
    >
    > -Adam
    >

    > "smacky" smacky.1em7da@pcbanter.net wrote in message
    >
    > Adam Conlea Wrote:-
    > This is regarding the window that appears when a DVD or CD is
    > inserted
    > into
    > the drive: "...choose an action for Windows to perform when this
    > type
    > is
    > used..."
    >
    > For no apparent reason, when I select the WinDVD player, Windows
    > Media
    > Player launches. (WMP also launches when I select WMP.) If I
    > manually
    > launch WinDVD from its desktop icon, it will play the DVD fine.
    >
    > Any idea where this autoplay program resides and how I may restore
    > the
    > proper path so that it will find WinDVD once again? It worked
    > before,
    > and
    > no media players have been installed since.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home, SP 1.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Adam-
    >
    > Hi Adam,
    >
    > I would suggest to try the information supplied on the following
    > page:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/admo
    >

    > --
    > smacky-

    Hi Adam,

    You could try a program such as TweakUI to set the options again, or
    try reinstalling your DVD Program, that should reset the registry
    entries as they were when it was initially installed.

    Good Luck
    Smacky
    Microsoft Personal Support
    http://support.microsoft.com
    and
    interVations Internet Director
    http://www.intervations.com.au

    Please note the below discalimer is not due to incorrect information
    having been given, nor because I expect to give any, however I do need
    to cover myself in the even that someone does not follow instructions
    correctly.

    DISCLAIMER
    The information provided here is NOT provided
    on behalf of Microsoft or interVations.
    The information supplied is from my own knowledge
    and it is recommended that you research all avenues
    before taking/using any advice displensed to you.
    You are responsible for actions taken on your own PC
    and I cannot and do not accept any responsibility for
    your actions as a direct or indirect result of my advice

    --
    smacky

    Why dont you reinstall WinDVD?

    --
    Rehan
    www.rehanfx.org - get transitions and effects for Windows MovieMaker

    "Adam Conlea" <whmsicl@NOSPAMconcentric.net> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the link, smacky!
    >
    > Since Autoplay still works fine -- it's just pointing to the wrong player
    > when an option is clicked -- I think I'll leave well enough alone. I'm
    > too
    > scared to mess around with the registry, but was hoping I could locate the
    > program that handles the Autoplay options and edit its program paths.
    >
    > -Adam
    >

    > "smacky" <smacky.1em7da@pcbanter.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Adam Conlea Wrote:
    >> > This is regarding the window that appears when a DVD or CD is inserted
    >> > into
    >> > the drive: "...choose an action for Windows to perform when this type
    >> > is
    >> > used..."
    >> >
    >> > For no apparent reason, when I select the WinDVD player, Windows Media
    >> > Player launches. (WMP also launches when I select WMP.) If I
    >> > manually
    >> > launch WinDVD from its desktop icon, it will play the DVD fine.
    >> >
    >> > Any idea where this autoplay program resides and how I may restore the
    >> > proper path so that it will find WinDVD once again? It worked before,
    >> > and
    >> > no media players have been installed since.
    >> >
    >> > I am running Windows XP Home, SP 1.
    >> >
    >> > Thank you,
    >> > Adam
    >>
    >> Hi Adam,
    >>
    >> I would suggest to try the information supplied on the following page:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/admo
    >>

    >> --
    >> smacky

Video DVD CD-Rom Windows XP