drive spins normally, DR pgms do not work.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.

WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop. Now installed on
new system as CSL/CS (cable select) as secondary drive.

Most files appear in explorer and are accessible, except that many
give "cannot access drive" errors.

Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears to
freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing gives a
varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20 hours-goes
extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad sectors.

Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives "finding
crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%. This behavior
appears to be a continuous loop as it never gets past 95% for like
10 minutes.

WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint 1
and 2-contact tech support for further info.

This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.

Is there any program that will actually work to get the files that
are not accessible on this drive? What is the problem?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:52:13 +0000 (UTC), HaHaHoHoHeeHee
<HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:

>WD 3 gig drive...

>Is there any program that will actually work to get the files that
>are not accessible on this drive? What is the problem?

Try WD Data Life Guard - free from the WD website.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"

spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote in news:42bb2833.100941062@news-
server.houston.rr.com:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:52:13 +0000 (UTC), HaHaHoHoHeeHee
> <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:
>
>>WD 3 gig drive...
>
>>Is there any program that will actually work to get the files that
>>are not accessible on this drive? What is the problem?

He already did what you suggested:

"HaHaHoHoHeeHee" <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in message news:Ham967E7E8FD106B0114539sl329HaHaHoHo@213.155.197.138
> I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.
>
> WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop. Now installed on
> new system as CSL/CS (cable select) as secondary drive.
>
> Most files appear in explorer and are accessible, except that many
> give "cannot access drive" errors.
>
> Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears to
> freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing gives a
> varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20 hours-goes
> extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad sectors.
>
> Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives "finding
> crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%. This behavior
> appears to be a continuous loop as it never gets past 95% for like
> 10 minutes.
>
> WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint 1
> and 2-contact tech support for further info.
>
> This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.
>
> Is there any program that will actually work to get the files that
> are not accessible on this drive?

> What is the problem?

The bad sectors, probably.
It might help if you got rid of them first by running FindBad.
http://www.partitionsupport.com/fbad15.zip

HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in message

> I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.

> WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop.

Dunno, it looks more like the drive is dying.

> Now installed on new system as CSL/CS
> (cable select) as secondary drive.

> Most files appear in explorer and are accessible,
> except that many give "cannot access drive" errors.

Thats the evidence that the drive is dying.

> Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears
> to freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing gives
> a varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20 hours-goes
> extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad sectors.

Thats because retrys on bads slow things down dramatically
and thats why the time estimate swings around so much.

> Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives
> "finding crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%.
> This behavior appears to be a continuous loop as it never
> gets past 95% for like 10 minutes.

> WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at
> checkpoint 1 and 2-contact tech support for further info.

See what the Everest SMART display says.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

> This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.

> Is there any program that will actually work to
> get the files that are not accessible on this drive?

Probably not. Clonedisk from http://www.invircible.com/resq.php
might be worth trying but its not free and you'd need another
physical drive to copy the dying drive contents to.

> What is the problem?

The drive is dying.

Bob <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message
> HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote

>> WD 3 gig drive...

>> Is there any program that will actually work to get the files
>> that are not accessible on this drive? What is the problem?

> Try WD Data Life Guard - free from the WD website.

What part of

>> WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at
>> checkpoint 1 and 2-contact tech support for further info.

are you having a problem with ?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:42:12 +0000 (UTC), concerned
<concerned@citizen.org> wrote:

>>>WD 3 gig drive...

>>>Is there any program that will actually work to get the files that
>>>are not accessible on this drive? What is the problem?

>> Try WD Data Life Guard - free from the WD website.

>He already did what you suggested:

>"WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint 1
>and 2-contact tech support for further info."

Then he should contact WD.

--

"Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message news:42bbe71d.149814734@news-server.houston.rr.com

> > > Try WD Data Life Guard - free from the WD website.
>
> > He already did what you suggested:
>
> > "WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint 1
> > and 2-contact tech support for further info."
>
> Then he should contact WD.

How will that get him his files?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:48:21 +0200, "Folkert Rienstra"
<see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote:

>> > He already did what you suggested:

>> > "WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint 1
>> > and 2-contact tech support for further info."

>> Then he should contact WD.

>How will that get him his files?

How will posting here get him his files?

At least with WD he will be talking to people who know what they are
doing.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"

I took a quick look at WD support page; it looks like they are
charging for email support, but I might have misread it, as I was
in a hurry. I do know you have to register. Maybe I'll try phoning
them, but I'm not optimistic about how long it will take to get
their help.

on 24 Jun 2005, spam@uce.gov (Bob) wrote in

on 23 Jun 2005, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
in news:42bb3ba1$0$34273$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net:

> "HaHaHoHoHeeHee" <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in
> message
>> I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.
>>
>> WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop. Now installed on
>> new system as CSL/CS (cable select) as secondary drive.
>>
>> Most files appear in explorer and are accessible, except that
>> many give "cannot access drive" errors.
>>
>> Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears
>> to freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing
>> gives a varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20
>> hours-goes extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad
>> sectors.
>>
>> Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives "finding
>> crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%. This behavior
>> appears to be a continuous loop as it never gets past 95% for
>> like 10 minutes.
>>
>> WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint
>> 1 and 2-contact tech support for further info.
>>
>> This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.

I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive. It was
perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it and he screwed up
the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive. The drive still makes no
noise and I can access most of the files. Also I ran checks on the
drive b4 this idiot got his hands on it and it was perfect. What is
needed is a program to find the data and rewrite to another drive.
NONE of the so called data recovery programs work; and I don't think
I want to run my good system 24 hours to see if GDB gets anything.
Same for Spinrite. They are too damn slow. I think Rod's suggestion
that I image the drive is a good one. I think maybe Ghost will do
that and can be set to ignore the bad sector reporting. I will try
it. Ghost also has an explore that allows partial restoration of
files, but the last time I ran my version I could not get it to
accept command line parameters that is SAYS it takes. Lots of
inadequate software out there. :-(

Is there any program that will actually work to get the files
>> that are not accessible on this drive?
>
>> What is the problem?
>
> The bad sectors, probably.
> It might help if you got rid of them first by running FindBad.
> http://www.partitionsupport.com/fbad15.zip

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 23:01:47 +0000 (UTC), HaHaHoHoHeeHee
<HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:

>I took a quick look at WD support page; it looks like they are
>charging for email support, but I might have misread it, as I was
>in a hurry. I do know you have to register. Maybe I'll try phoning
>them, but I'm not optimistic about how long it will take to get
>their help.

I have used WD support and it did not cost me. I got replies in about
1-2 days and they all answered my questions clearly.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Whatever crushes individuality is despotism."
--John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty"

"Bob" <spam@uce.gov> wrote in message

>>> Then he should contact WD.
>
>>How will that get him his files?
>
> How will posting here get him his files?

Someone other than you may assist him with that.

> At least with WD he will be talking to
> people who know what they are doing.

Who wont be interested in helping him to get his files back.

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you've never
ever had a clue and couldnt bullshit your way out of a wet paper
bag even if your pathetic excuse for a 'life' depended on it.

> on 23 Jun 2005, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
> in news:42bb3ba1$0$34273$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net:
>
>> "HaHaHoHoHeeHee" <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in
>> message
>>> I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.
>>>
>>> WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop. Now installed on
>>> new system as CSL/CS (cable select) as secondary drive.
>>>
>>> Most files appear in explorer and are accessible, except that
>>> many give "cannot access drive" errors.
>>>
>>> Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears
>>> to freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing
>>> gives a varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20
>>> hours-goes extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad
>>> sectors.
>>>
>>> Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives "finding
>>> crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%. This behavior
>>> appears to be a continuous loop as it never gets past 95% for
>>> like 10 minutes.
>>>
>>> WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint
>>> 1 and 2-contact tech support for further info.
>>>
>>> This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.

> I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive.

That is however what the evidence indicates.

> It was perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it and
> he screwed up the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive.

Likely that only happened because the
drive is dying and he didnt realise that.

> The drive still makes no noise and I can access most of the files.

Thats a common way for a drive to fail.

> Also I ran checks on the drive b4 this
> idiot got his hands on it and it was perfect.

A dying drive has to start dying sometime.

> What is needed is a program to find the data and rewrite to another
> drive. NONE of the so called data recovery programs work;

And thats the evidence that the drive is dying.
They do work fine when the drive isnt dying.

> and I don't think I want to run my good system 24
> hours to see if GDB gets anything. Same for Spinrite.
> They are too damn slow. I think Rod's suggestion
> that I image the drive is a good one.

Thats not going to be fast either if the drive is dying. Basically
because clonedisk trys very hard to get the data out of bad sectors.

> I think maybe Ghost will do that and can be set
> to ignore the bad sector reporting. I will try it.

Yes, that might see the recovery programs run fast enough.
BUT you wont get back what is in the bad sectors.

> Ghost also has an explore that allows partial restoration of
> files, but the last time I ran my version I could not get it to
> accept command line parameters that is SAYS it takes.

You should be using Ghost Explorer for that.

> Lots of inadequate software out there. :-(

>>> Is there any program that will actually work to get
>>> the files that are not accessible on this drive?

>>> What is the problem?

>> The bad sectors, probably.
>> It might help if you got rid of them first by running FindBad.
>> http://www.partitionsupport.com/fbad15.zip

HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:

> I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.
>
> WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop. Now installed on
> new system as CSL/CS (cable select) as secondary drive.
>
> Most files appear in explorer and are accessible, except that many
> give "cannot access drive" errors.

Typical to a mapping (geometry) error.

> Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears to
> freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing gives a
> varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20 hours-goes
> extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad sectors.

Typical to a geometry error.

> Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives "finding
> crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%. This behavior
> appears to be a continuous loop as it never gets past 95% for like
> 10 minutes.

Typical to a geometry error. The last thing you want to do in such event is to
run file system repair software (e.g. SCANDISK, CHKDSK, or NDD). The latter
will perpetuate the error and irreversibly corrupt the file system.

> WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint 1
> and 2-contact tech support for further info.

The problem may be genuine (a failing drive) or could be the result of incorrect
HS translation.

> This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.
>
> Is there any program that will actually work to get the files that
> are not accessible on this drive? What is the problem?

After having read the rest of this thread, I'm afraid that you already missed
the opportunity to recover anything of value from that drive.

Regards, Zvi
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

Zvi Netiv wrote:

> HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:
>

>>I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.
>>
>>WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop. Now installed on
>>new system as CSL/CS (cable select) as secondary drive.
>>
>>Most files appear in explorer and are accessible, except that many
>>give "cannot access drive" errors.
>

> Typical to a mapping (geometry) error.
>

>>Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears to
>>freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing gives a
>>varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20 hours-goes
>>extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad sectors.
>

> Typical to a geometry error.
>

>>Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives "finding
>>crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%. This behavior
>>appears to be a continuous loop as it never gets past 95% for like
>>10 minutes.
>

> Typical to a geometry error. The last thing you want to do in such event is to
> run file system repair software (e.g. SCANDISK, CHKDSK, or NDD). The latter
> will perpetuate the error and irreversibly corrupt the file system.
>

>>WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint 1
>>and 2-contact tech support for further info.
>

> The problem may be genuine (a failing drive) or could be the result of incorrect
> HS translation.
>

>>This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.
>>
>>Is there any program that will actually work to get the files that
>>are not accessible on this drive? What is the problem?
>

> After having read the rest of this thread, I'm afraid that you already missed
> the opportunity to recover anything of value from that drive.

Nothing in his post states that he tried to write to the drive or fix
errors. You seem to have alot of advice as to what the problem is, but
little information on how to fix it? I've notice that your ResQ program
is good for giving alot of mathematical detail and generating arguments
in these newsgroups over what the problem with a drive is, but little,
it seems, in the way of solutions?

> Regards, Zvi
> --
> NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
> InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities

HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:
> on 23 Jun 2005, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote

> Is there any program that will actually work to get the files
> >> that are not accessible on this drive?
> >
> >> What is the problem?
> >
> > The bad sectors, probably.
> > It might help if you got rid of them first by running FindBad.
> > http://www.partitionsupport.com/fbad15.zip

In case the drive is dying then this would be the silliest thing to do.

> I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive. It was
> perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it and he screwed up
> the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive. The drive still makes no
> noise and I can access most of the files.

Most dying drives do not make noise.

> Also I ran checks on the
> drive b4 this idiot got his hands on it and it was perfect. What is
> needed is a program to find the data and rewrite to another drive.

What was needed was to assess whether the drive is working with the correct
settings, and if it did, then to clone it before it develops too many bad
sectors or becomes inaccessible.

> NONE of the so called data recovery programs work; and I don't think
> I want to run my good system 24 hours to see if GDB gets anything.
> Same for Spinrite. They are too damn slow. I think Rod's suggestion
> that I image the drive is a good one. I think maybe Ghost will do
> that and can be set to ignore the bad sector reporting. I will try
> it. Ghost also has an explore that allows partial restoration of
> files, but the last time I ran my version I could not get it to
> accept command line parameters that is SAYS it takes. Lots of
> inadequate software out there. :-(

The software isn't to blame here.

Regards, Zvi
--

Zvi Netiv wrote:
> HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:
>
>>on 23 Jun 2005, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
>

>> Is there any program that will actually work to get the files

>>>The bad sectors, probably.
>>>It might help if you got rid of them first by running FindBad.
>>>http://www.partitionsupport.com/fbad15.zip
>

> In case the drive is dying then this would be the silliest thing to do.
>

>>I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive. It was
>>perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it and he screwed up
>>the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive. The drive still makes no
>>noise and I can access most of the files.
>

> Most dying drives do not make noise.
>

>>Also I ran checks on the
>>drive b4 this idiot got his hands on it and it was perfect. What is
>>needed is a program to find the data and rewrite to another drive.

Aren't you the guy who always recommends Clonedisk? Last time I tried to
download that program, I got a "page not found" at their website.
Also, no one ever explains, that I've seen, the process of cloning and
recovery from that. Do you clone to a secondary drive or to cd-rws or
what? If you clone to the primary drive, will that not replace that
drive's data with the junk data from the bad drive? How do you recover
bad sector data from the clone?

Zvi Netiv <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote in

> HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.
>>
>> WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop. Now installed on
>> new system as CSL/CS (cable select) as secondary drive.
>>
>> Most files appear in explorer and are accessible, except that many
>> give "cannot access drive" errors.
>
> Typical to a mapping (geometry) error.\

Thanks, but that says little or nothing.

>> Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears to
>> freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing gives a
>> varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20 hours-goes
>> extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad sectors.
>
> Typical to a geometry error.
>
>> Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives "finding
>> crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%. This behavior
>> appears to be a continuous loop as it never gets past 95% for like
>> 10 minutes.
>
> Typical to a geometry error. The last thing you want to do in such
> event is to run file system repair software (e.g. SCANDISK, CHKDSK, or
> NDD). The latter will perpetuate the error and irreversibly corrupt
> the file system.

What harm is running scandisk if no fixing is done. Drive is not showing
signs of disintegrating further, since the sector errors seem to be
logical errors.

>> WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint 1
>> and 2-contact tech support for further info.
>
> The problem may be genuine (a failing drive) or could be the result of
> incorrect HS translation.
>
>> This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.
>>
>> Is there any program that will actually work to get the files that
>> are not accessible on this drive? What is the problem?
>
> After having read the rest of this thread, I'm afraid that you already
> missed the opportunity to recover anything of value from that drive.

What makes you assume this?

> HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote:
>> on 23 Jun 2005, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote
>
>> Is there any program that will actually work to get the files

>> > The bad sectors, probably.
>> > It might help if you got rid of them first by running FindBad.
>> > http://www.partitionsupport.com/fbad15.zip
>
> In case the drive is dying then this would be the silliest thing to
> do.

Agreed. I have done nothing to write to the drive.

>> I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive. It was
>> perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it and he screwed up
>> the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive. The drive still makes no
>> noise and I can access most of the files.
>
> Most dying drives do not make noise.

Not in my limited experience. Physical problems generally cause noise.

>> Also I ran checks on the
>> drive b4 this idiot got his hands on it and it was perfect. What is
>> needed is a program to find the data and rewrite to another drive.
>
> What was needed was to assess whether the drive is working with the
> correct settings, and if it did, then to clone it before it develops
> too many bad sectors or becomes inaccessible.

Whatever you mean by that. If cloning (assume you mean to the good
drive) means putting my primary drive at any risk, I'm not going to do
that. Already got most of the data off the bad drive, it's the several
files that were inaccessible due to read/sector errors I'm after.
Diskpatch clones drives but states you have to wipe the destination
drive to "reduce noise". Forget that.

>> NONE of the so called data recovery programs work; and I don't think
>> I want to run my good system 24 hours to see if GDB gets anything.
>> Same for Spinrite. They are too damn slow. I think Rod's suggestion
>> that I image the drive is a good one. I think maybe Ghost will do
>> that and can be set to ignore the bad sector reporting. I will try
>> it. Ghost also has an explore that allows partial restoration of
>> files, but the last time I ran my version I could not get it to
>> accept command line parameters that is SAYS it takes. Lots of
>> inadequate software out there. :-(
>
> The software isn't to blame here.

Sure it is, cuz no one has created a program that actually does the job.
They all make lofty promises, but fail on delivery.

"HaHaHoHoHeeHee" <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in message news:Ham967FA54D9DE900114539sl329HaHaHoHo@213.155.197.138
> on 23 Jun 2005, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in news:42bb3ba1$0$34273$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net:
>
> > "HaHaHoHoHeeHee" HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in message news:Ham967E7E8FD106B0114539sl329HaHaHoHo@213.155.197.138
> > > I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this problem.
> > >
> > > WD 3 gig drive, messed up by incompetent shop. Now installed on
> > > new system as CSEL/CS (cable select) as secondary drive.
> > >
> > > Most files appear in explorer and are accessible, except that
> > > many give "cannot access drive" errors.
> > >
> > > Using GDB, Rescue and PCIfilerecovery, none work. PCIfr appears
> > > to freeze, Rescue does the same and GDB, while not freezing
> > > gives a varying estimate time for the recovery process of 10-20
> > > hours-goes extremely slowly with many err 10 read LBAs and bad
> > > sectors.
> > >
> > > Scandisk gets to about 95% of the drive and then gives "finding
> > > crosslinked sectors" and then goes back to 85%. This behavior
> > > appears to be a continuous loop as it never gets past 95% for
> > > like 10 minutes.
> > >
> > > WD diagnostic software gives "smart status failed at checkpoint
> > > 1 and 2-contact tech support for further info.
> > >
> > > This is a dell xps 800 mhz dimension, win98se.
> > >

> I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive.

I didn't say there was. I said to get rid of the bad sectors first.

> It was perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it and he
> screwed up the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive.

Then there are no bad sectors, but later on you bring them up again.
So what is it? Surely the tech didn't write bad sectors.

> The drive still makes no
> noise and I can access most of the files.

This has nothing to do with the 'tables' then.

> Also I ran checks on the
> drive b4 this idiot got his hands on it and it was perfect. What is
> needed is a program to find the data and rewrite to another drive.
> NONE of the so called data recovery programs work; and I don't think
> I want to run my good system 24 hours to see if GDB gets anything.
> Same for Spinrite. They are too damn slow.

Again, nothing to do with the 'tables'.

> I think Rod's suggestion
> that I image the drive is a good one.

That too will get rid of the bad sectors but may hold the cloning
program captive. That's why I say to get rid of the bad sectors first.

harveywallbanger <harveywallbanger@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:d9k6vq$hp7$1@onion.ccit.arizona.edu...
> Zvi Netiv wrote
>> HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote
>>> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote

>> In case the drive is dying then this would be the silliest thing to do.

>>> I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive. It was perfect
>>> before this moron tech got his hands on it and he screwed up the logical
>>> tables, prob. FAT on the drive. The drive still makes no noise and I can
>>> access most of the files.

>> Most dying drives do not make noise.

>>> Also I ran checks on the drive b4 this idiot got his hands on it and it was
>>> perfect. What is needed is a program to find the data and rewrite to another
>>> drive.

> Aren't you the guy who always recommends Clonedisk?

Yes, its his program. That should have been obvious from his sig.

> Last time I tried to download that program, I got a "page not found" at their
> website.

If you click on the licensing conditions link for clonedisk, it leads to where
you can pay for it and presumably download it after you have done that.

> Also, no one ever explains, that I've seen, the process of cloning and
> recovery from that. Do you clone to a secondary drive

Yes, and the description of clonedisk basically says that.
http://www.invircible.com/deal/clonedisk

> or to cd-rws or what? If you clone to the primary drive,

That would be completely mad.

> will that not replace that drive's data with the junk data from the bad drive?
> How do you recover bad sector data from the clone?

It attempts to get what data it can from the bad sectors, and copys the
good sectors, so you can bang on the clone as much as you like with
whatever tools you choose to try, and arent banging on the dying drive.

In other words you get what you can off the dying drive and then
you can do what you like at your leasure to the clone to try recovering
what you can from the clone, without it being about to die.

> Zvi Netiv <support@replace_with_domain.com> wrote
>> HaHaHoHoHeeHee <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote
>>> Folkert Rienstra <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote

>> In case the drive is dying then this would be the silliest thing to do.

> Agreed. I have done nothing to write to the drive.

>>> I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive.
>>> It was perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it
>>> and he screwed up the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive.
>>> The drive still makes no noise and I can access most of the files.

>> Most dying drives do not make noise.

> Not in my limited experience. Physical problems generally cause noise.

Fraid not. Most obviously with a poor electrical connection to the heads,
thats a physical problem that doesnt necessarily produce any noise.

>>> Also I ran checks on the drive b4 this idiot got his
>>> hands on it and it was perfect. What is needed is a
>>> program to find the data and rewrite to another drive.

>> What was needed was to assess whether the drive is working
>> with the correct settings, and if it did, then to clone it before
>> it develops too many bad sectors or becomes inaccessible.

> Whatever you mean by that. If cloning (assume you mean to
> the good drive) means putting my primary drive at any risk,

No, he's talking about cloning the bad drive to a third
drive while you can, before the bad drive dies completely.

> I'm not going to do that. Already got most of the data off the bad drive, it's
> the several files that were inaccessible due to read/sector errors I'm after.

Clonedisk will do that, try to get what it can out of the bad sectors.

> Diskpatch clones drives but states you have to wipe
> the destination drive to "reduce noise". Forget that.

You clone to a third drive.

>>> NONE of the so called data recovery programs work; and I don't think
>>> I want to run my good system 24 hours to see if GDB gets anything.
>>> Same for Spinrite. They are too damn slow. I think Rod's suggestion
>>> that I image the drive is a good one. I think maybe Ghost will do
>>> that and can be set to ignore the bad sector reporting. I will try
>>> it. Ghost also has an explore that allows partial restoration of
>>> files, but the last time I ran my version I could not get it to
>>> accept command line parameters that is SAYS it takes. Lots of
>>> inadequate software out there. :-(

>> The software isn't to blame here.

> Sure it is, cuz no one has created a program that actually
> does the job. They all make lofty promises, but fail on delivery.

No software can do anything much about a dying drive.

If the drive is dying, it should be cloned to a third drive while you
can and then the recovery software will work on the clone fine.
You wont see the freezing thats due to the bad sectors being retried.

> "HaHaHoHoHeeHee" <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in message
>> on 23 Jun 2005, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in
>>
>> > "HaHaHoHoHeeHee" HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in
>> > message news:Ham967E7E8FD106B0114539sl329HaHaHoHo@213.155.197.138

>> I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive.
>
> I didn't say there was. I said to get rid of the bad sectors first.
>
>> It was perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it and he
>> screwed up the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive.
>
> Then there are no bad sectors, but later on you bring them up again.
> So what is it? Surely the tech didn't write bad sectors.
>
>> The drive still makes no
>> noise and I can access most of the files.
>
> This has nothing to do with the 'tables' then.

I never claimed to be an expert on hard drives (obviously).
So you are saying that ANY bad sector error has nothing to do with
ANY logical error, such as scrambled FAT? IOW, if GDB, for example
reports bad sectors, that HAS to be a physical problem with the drive?
I find this hard to fanthom since the rest of the drive operates
normally, does not seem to have increased bad sectors and makes no
noise. Since from your previous posting you seem to like spinrite,
does that offer anything more GDB or the others seem to offer? I have it
but have not used it due to the many reports of day+ completion times
from both reviewers and users.

HaHaHooHooHeeHee wrote:

> "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in
>
>> "HaHaHoHoHeeHee" <HaHaHoHoHeeHee-_invalid@lycos.com> wrote in message
>>> on 23 Jun 2005, "Folkert Rienstra" <see_reply-to@myweb.nl> wrote in

>>> I do not believe their is a physical problem with the drive.
>>
>> I didn't say there was. I said to get rid of the bad sectors first.
>>
>>> It was perfect before this moron tech got his hands on it and he
>>> screwed up the logical tables, prob. FAT on the drive.
>>
>> Then there are no bad sectors, but later on you bring them up again.
>> So what is it? Surely the tech didn't write bad sectors.
>>
>>> The drive still makes no
>>> noise and I can access most of the files.
>>
>> This has nothing to do with the 'tables' then.
>>

> I never claimed to be an expert on hard drives (obviously).
> So you are saying that ANY bad sector error has nothing to do with
> ANY logical error, such as scrambled FAT?

A bad sector can cause a scrambled FAT. A scrambled FAT cannot cause a bad
sector. On the other hand malware on your system could both scramble the
FAT and falsely report bad sectors.

> IOW, if GDB, for example
> reports bad sectors, that HAS to be a physical problem with the drive?

Unless it's the result of a bug in GDB or a false report generated by a
virus or other malware, yes.

> I find this hard to fanthom since the rest of the drive operates
> normally, does not seem to have increased bad sectors and makes no
> noise.

IDE drives have sparing. A drive can have a large number of bad sectors and
you will never see it because they have all been mapped to spare sectors.
However when the drive runs out of spares, then you'll start to see bad
sectors reported. You'll also see bad sectors that have developed since
the data was written--they're supposed to be remapped on the next write
unless the drive is out of spares mappable to that location.

> Since from your previous posting you seem to like spinrite,
> does that offer anything more GDB or the others seem to offer? I have it
> but have not used it due to the many reports of day+ completion times
> from both reviewers and users.

Spinrite basically reads or tries to read the data on a bad sector and then
rewrites it. On the old stepper motor drives where the head position
occasionally drifted this worked because it realigned the data with the
drifted heads. On IDE drives it works because it allows the drive to remap
the sector. The long completion times are the result of the number of
repetitive reads needed for it to decide that it's gotten an accurate read
off the bad sector or give up on it and move on.

Generally speaking it's better to replace the drive than to Spinrite it--if
it's degenerated to the point that Spinrite seems necessary then it's
generally not got long to live.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate