windows 2000 cannot read large usb hard drive

Any advice is appreciated,

I have a 300GB seagate ata hard drive inside an ACOMdata enclosure (USB
2.0/Firewire). It is formatted fat32 one big 279GB partition. When it
is connected to my computer at home (XP pro) via firewire, I can see
everything. When it is connected to the same machine via usb 2.0,
windows tells me the hard drive is not formatted. A friend of mine
connected the same drive into a linux machine via usb 2 and he saw
everything as well, but he did notice using fdisk that the partition
table said that there was only 127 GBs available.
I need to use this disk at work and all I have at work is usb 2. At
work, I have the same problem as at home (with usb 2), it tells me that
it is not formatted. I have made sure that I have SP4 on this win 2k
machine, the registry key for large hard drives is set to 1. I don't
know what this could be.
Please help.

Sean
7 answers Last reply
More about windows 2000 read large hard drive

    Cheap usb/1394 enclosures use different chips for the two.
    The USB chip may have a 137GB limit, but 1394 may not.
    If Windows sees a 279GB partition on a 137GB disk, it gets confused.

    Not sure how you would test this in Windows, but Linux seems to catch it better.

    <Sean.snv@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1119571465.368969.220370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
    > Any advice is appreciated,
    >
    > I have a 300GB seagate ata hard drive inside an ACOMdata enclosure (USB
    > 2.0/Firewire). It is formatted fat32 one big 279GB partition. When it
    > is connected to my computer at home (XP pro) via firewire, I can see
    > everything. When it is connected to the same machine via usb 2.0,
    > windows tells me the hard drive is not formatted. A friend of mine
    > connected the same drive into a linux machine via usb 2 and he saw
    > everything as well, but he did notice using fdisk that the partition
    > table said that there was only 127 GBs available.
    > I need to use this disk at work and all I have at work is usb 2. At
    > work, I have the same problem as at home (with usb 2), it tells me that
    > it is not formatted. I have made sure that I have SP4 on this win 2k
    > machine, the registry key for large hard drives is set to 1. I don't
    > know what this could be.
    > Please help.
    >
    > Sean

    <Sean.snv@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Any advice is appreciated,
    >
    > I have a 300GB seagate ata hard drive inside an ACOMdata enclosure (USB
    > 2.0/Firewire). It is formatted fat32 one big 279GB partition. When it
    > is connected to my computer at home (XP pro) via firewire, I can see
    > everything. When it is connected to the same machine via usb 2.0,
    > windows tells me the hard drive is not formatted. A friend of mine
    > connected the same drive into a linux machine via usb 2 and he saw
    > everything as well, but he did notice using fdisk that the partition
    > table said that there was only 127 GBs available.
    > I need to use this disk at work and all I have at work is usb 2. At
    > work, I have the same problem as at home (with usb 2), it tells me that
    > it is not formatted. I have made sure that I have SP4 on this win 2k
    > machine, the registry key for large hard drives is set to 1. I don't
    > know what this could be.
    > Please help.
    >
    > Sean

    That is the limitation of the OS you can't overcome. The best Win2000 can
    recognize is 128GB, and only with SP4 patch!

    Ar Q <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message
    > <Sean.snv@gmail.com> wrote

    >> Any advice is appreciated,

    >> I have a 300GB seagate ata hard drive inside an ACOMdata enclosure (USB
    >> 2.0/Firewire). It is formatted fat32 one big 279GB partition. When it
    >> is connected to my computer at home (XP pro) via firewire, I can see
    >> everything. When it is connected to the same machine via usb 2.0,
    >> windows tells me the hard drive is not formatted. A friend of mine
    >> connected the same drive into a linux machine via usb 2 and he saw
    >> everything as well, but he did notice using fdisk that the partition
    >> table said that there was only 127 GBs available.
    >> I need to use this disk at work and all I have at work is usb 2. At
    >> work, I have the same problem as at home (with usb 2), it tells me that
    >> it is not formatted. I have made sure that I have SP4 on this win 2k
    >> machine, the registry key for large hard drives is set to 1. I don't
    >> know what this could be.

    > That is the limitation of the OS you can't overcome. The best
    > Win2000 can recognize is 128GB, and only with SP4 patch!

    Wrong.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q305098

    http://www.48bitlba.com/

    Perhaps...
    http://www.acelab.ru/products/pc-en/pc3000.html

    > Perhaps...
    > http://www.acelab.ru/products/pc-en/pc3000.html

    Is there any independent confirmation or reviews of this product. The above
    site isn't convincing.

    In article <L%Iue.10826$VK4.73@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Ar Q
    <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> writes

    > can't overcome. The best Win2000 can
    >recognize is 128GB, and only with SP4 patch!

    Eh? What have you been smoking today?

    "Mike Tomlinson" <mike@NOSPAM.jasper.org.uk> wrote in message news:aThFAbJTHnvCFwZS@jasper.org.uk
    > In article <L%Iue.10826$VK4.73@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Ar Q <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> writes
    >
    >> can't overcome. The best Win2000 can
    >> recognize is 128GB, and only with SP4 patch!
    >
    > Eh? What have you been smoking today?

    Probably nothing. Probably just the sudden infestation of trolls
    in this group that made him overcome his shyness and chip in.

Windows 2000 Hard Drives USB Storage