wmv to mp3

is there any free programs out there that i can use to convert my wmv home
movie to mp3, thanx for any help
3 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    i just want to put the sound onto a music disc

    "charmed 1" wrote:

    > is there any free programs out there that i can use to convert my wmv home
    > movie to mp3, thanx for any help

    Unfortunately I can't help you with the program, although you'd probably get
    a lot better response in a more appropriate newsgroup.

    You'd probably be better off just extracting the wma audio from the video
    file, rather than converting it to mp3. Try googling for 'wmv splitter' or
    'wma extract' and so on.

    Independant listenings tests have repeatedly shown that regular WMA standard
    is significantly inferior to mp3. (And for that matter, independant video
    tests by the SMPTE group doing the new hd-dvd standards etc. have concluded
    that WMP9 isn't even as good as other current video encoders.) (WMA 9 Pro
    is better than the Standard, but nothing supports it.)

    Basically, you'd need to go to 160 or more likely 192kbps wma to get the
    same quality as a 128kbps mp3 done by the best mp3 encoder (LAME).
    (Surprisngly, LAME at 128k is only slightly worse than the best AAC encoder
    at 128k!)

    Taking that low quality audio source and converting it to any other format
    is just going to introduce more artifacts etc. and make it sound even worse.

    So you are better off leaving it as wma instead of converting it to mp3.

    If you do have to convert it to mp3, do it to a higher rate than what the
    wma is, to attempt to minimize the transcoding quality loss.

    "charmed 1" <charmed1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i just want to put the sound onto a music disc
    >
    > "charmed 1" wrote:
    >
    >> is there any free programs out there that i can use to convert my wmv
    >> home
    >> movie to mp3, thanx for any help

    thank you very much for taking the time to help.

    "No Spam" wrote:

    > Unfortunately I can't help you with the program, although you'd probably get
    > a lot better response in a more appropriate newsgroup.
    >
    > You'd probably be better off just extracting the wma audio from the video
    > file, rather than converting it to mp3. Try googling for 'wmv splitter' or
    > 'wma extract' and so on.
    >
    > Independant listenings tests have repeatedly shown that regular WMA standard
    > is significantly inferior to mp3. (And for that matter, independant video
    > tests by the SMPTE group doing the new hd-dvd standards etc. have concluded
    > that WMP9 isn't even as good as other current video encoders.) (WMA 9 Pro
    > is better than the Standard, but nothing supports it.)
    >
    > Basically, you'd need to go to 160 or more likely 192kbps wma to get the
    > same quality as a 128kbps mp3 done by the best mp3 encoder (LAME).
    > (Surprisngly, LAME at 128k is only slightly worse than the best AAC encoder
    > at 128k!)
    >
    > Taking that low quality audio source and converting it to any other format
    > is just going to introduce more artifacts etc. and make it sound even worse.
    >
    > So you are better off leaving it as wma instead of converting it to mp3.
    >
    > If you do have to convert it to mp3, do it to a higher rate than what the
    > wma is, to attempt to minimize the transcoding quality loss.
    >

    > "charmed 1" <charmed1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i just want to put the sound onto a music disc
    > >
    > > "charmed 1" wrote:
    > >
    > >> is there any free programs out there that i can use to convert my wmv
    > >> home
    > >> movie to mp3, thanx for any help

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

Video MP3 Microsoft Windows XP