wmv to mp3

October 24, 2004 6:03:02 PM

is there any free programs out there that i can use to convert my wmv home
movie to mp3, thanx for any help

More about : wmv mp3

Anonymous
October 24, 2004 6:21:01 PM

i just want to put the sound onto a music disc

"charmed 1" wrote:

> is there any free programs out there that i can use to convert my wmv home
> movie to mp3, thanx for any help
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 2:45:22 AM

Unfortunately I can't help you with the program, although you'd probably get
a lot better response in a more appropriate newsgroup.

You'd probably be better off just extracting the wma audio from the video
file, rather than converting it to mp3. Try googling for 'wmv splitter' or
'wma extract' and so on.

Independant listenings tests have repeatedly shown that regular WMA standard
is significantly inferior to mp3. (And for that matter, independant video
tests by the SMPTE group doing the new hd-dvd standards etc. have concluded
that WMP9 isn't even as good as other current video encoders.) (WMA 9 Pro
is better than the Standard, but nothing supports it.)

Basically, you'd need to go to 160 or more likely 192kbps wma to get the
same quality as a 128kbps mp3 done by the best mp3 encoder (LAME).
(Surprisngly, LAME at 128k is only slightly worse than the best AAC encoder
at 128k!)

Taking that low quality audio source and converting it to any other format
is just going to introduce more artifacts etc. and make it sound even worse.

So you are better off leaving it as wma instead of converting it to mp3.

If you do have to convert it to mp3, do it to a higher rate than what the
wma is, to attempt to minimize the transcoding quality loss.

"charmed 1" <charmed1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i just want to put the sound onto a music disc
>
> "charmed 1" wrote:
>
>> is there any free programs out there that i can use to convert my wmv
>> home
>> movie to mp3, thanx for any help

October 27, 2004 3:55:05 PM

thank you very much for taking the time to help.