2nd hard drive disappeared!

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 1:20:07 AM

hi,

i use Windows Me.

after a dual boot fiasco with linux, i finally recovered the use of my
first hard drive and reinstalled ME.

now ME does not recognized my 2nd hard drive. for the last 2 years, it
has used it often.

i check bios. 2nd hard drive, NONE. I change the setting to AUTO.
same thing. ME does not recognize it. any suggestions?

(i think i could change the bios setting and boot directly into dos
with the boot disk and then fdisk. but, i would rather not lose all
the data on the 2nd drive.)

much appreciate any clue on this matter.

larry
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 4:53:29 PM

On 23 Jun 2005 21:20:07 -0700, "larryl" <ljloeb@yahoo.com> wrote:

>i check bios. 2nd hard drive, NONE. I change the setting to AUTO.
>same thing. ME does not recognize it. any suggestions?

Loose or unplugged cable to 2nd drive? Check the cables. Also check
to make sure the jumpers are still there as I've had jumper pop out
but rarely.
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 6:15:09 PM

Hi, larryl. One question, the auto-detect option in the bios (F3
normally), does it work? I think if you can't see the drive in your
bios you won't see it using fdisk. However, fdisk allow you to see the
partitions using the option 4 (don't try option 3: delete). Greetings.
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 7:23:58 PM

larryl <ljloeb@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> i use Windows Me.

> after a dual boot fiasco with linux, i finally recovered
> the use of my first hard drive and reinstalled ME.

> now ME does not recognized my 2nd hard drive.
> for the last 2 years, it has used it often.

> i check bios. 2nd hard drive, NONE. I change the setting to AUTO.
> same thing. ME does not recognize it. any suggestions?

Does it still show up on the black bios screen at boot time ?

> (i think i could change the bios setting and boot directly
> into dos with the boot disk and then fdisk. but, i would
> rather not lose all the data on the 2nd drive.)

> much appreciate any clue on this matter.

If it does still show up on the black bios screen at boot time,
likely you managed to stuff it up when getting rid of linux.

Easy Recovery Pro might be able to get the data back, but it isnt free.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
June 24, 2005 7:47:50 PM

Analyse the drive with Findpart from www.partitionsupport.com